13yo son wants to start training

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He's been bugging me and I took him to the gym today on leg day and explained the lifts and what they work and about proper form etc. Few guys in the gym I know came over and helped. He's really excited and wants to continue but i'm not sure how I should direct his diet.

13 years old at 5'9" 145 pounds with a solid frame but weak over all. I think he could be a big guy with the proper training,diet and motivation. How should I work his diet? I have no idea on the macro break downs for a young teen.

Any help would be great, thanks!

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Honestly, if he's very active, just let him basically eat whatever he wants. The more food the better. If you could try getting whole healthy foods, but alot of teens arent really going to be that focused on their diet, just because they can get away with alot of the not so good things they eat.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
He's been bugging me and I took him to the gym today on leg day and explained the lifts and what they work and about proper form etc. Few guys in the gym I know came over and helped. He's really excited and wants to continue but i'm not sure how I should direct his diet.

13 years old at 5'9" 145 pounds with a solid frame but weak over all. I think he could be a big guy with the proper training,diet and motivation. How should I work his diet? I have no idea on the macro break downs for a young teen.

Any help would be great, thanks!
Jayhawk, having three boys of my own, (21, 21, 18), I wouldn't sweat the diet portion of his entrance into BB'ing. My boys ate like typical teenage boys and are all very muscular. At that age, the training itself will take on a life of it's own. Although I wouldn't argue, nutrition is important, but I say let him eat whatever he wants, he's still going to make tremendous gains. :thumbsup:

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What Dunk said, but teach him good eating habits and I'm sure you have already done so. As for his diet, don't be too strict on him like we are on our selves. Feed him as much as he's willing to eat.

I think this is great time for him to start lifting as it can to a hell of a lot for one's mental development, see: confidence, self-worth, etc.

Best of luck, Pops!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks a lot guys! It was a great day bonding. He plays baseball but i'm not a fan of the sport but this gives us both something to work on together. I'll just do what you all suggest and let him eat while directing him away from the sugary crap/sweets when hungry and point him towards the healthier stuff. I'm trying to move the whole family away from the gotta have sweets at all times and places mentality and it's been a real uphill battle.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BTW, had to spread around points for Rage and Viper so only able to rep IDunk ><. I guess it'll come around again. You'll have to accept my thanks for now :)

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
BTW, had to spread around points for Rage and Viper so only able to rep IDunk ><. I guess it'll come around again. You'll have to accept my thanks for now :)
Yes!!!!! Thanks bro!

Too bad your not a big baseball fan, its America's pastime! :D

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Probably due to being traumatized as a kid by throwing and catching with the same hand...And having a tendancy of throwing the bat at people after I swung it and let go :)

Football and wrestling were easier.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Probably due to being traumatized as a kid by throwing and catching with the same hand...And having a tendancy of throwing the bat at people after I swung it and let go :)
:toofunny:

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
NP Jayhawk. Go over to IM if you'd like to see pics of my youngest. He's DJFury over there. The kid used to be skin and bones and my 2 oldest used to pic on him. Now I think he'd give them both a run for their money :D Enjoy your time with your son, it goes by fast ;)

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Hey Jay, I'd send your son to Derek Charlebois' (aka Beast) so that he can see what sort of progress can be made by a teen who nails all the essentials. I think he started bbing around 16 and has been writing for bb.com since he was 17. I don't know if he is still writing for them, but his old articles should still be there.

Imagine the progress we all could've made if we knew half of what we now know when we were teens.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
10-4 man, appreciate all the info. He's always been one to stick with whatever he decides to do so i'm very optamistic. weight training takes a lot of dedication and i'm very proud of him asking me. I never approach my kids on doing what I do so they don't feel pressured and can make their own decisions. Hwoever, diet is about to change redardless. I'd rather be a mean guy who refused a morning dose of glazed donuts than the nice guy who helped them reach the 35% fat 300 pound weight limit :)

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You could always do something like help him have a good diet during the week mon-thurs, and fri-sun let him do whatever, so when hes out with his friends he doesnt worry. That way you teach him good fundamentals when its easy during the week, and he can still pig out on the weekends with friends. Best of both worlds! :) You could also just try to get him to eat 2-3 good meals a day and let him do whatever for the rest. Either way he understands what good meals are, but he can also have those sweets.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
He just approached me on finding out about his diet. Gave him the advice and told him to keep the junk foods and juices to a minimum...Working on drinking water right now too which is going to be hard. These kids hate it. My wife doesn't like it either.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Good for you for helping him and instilling good habits for his future :)

Eat, rest, eat, and workout, let him do what you do but less weight until he gets the hang of it :):dl:

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
He just approached me on finding out about his diet. Gave him the advice and told him to keep the junk foods and juices to a minimum...Working on drinking water right now too which is going to be hard. These kids hate it. My wife doesn't like it either.
As for the water thing, try getting them to drink Propel to start. There's still some sugar in it, but its not nearly as bad as gatorade and soda. Its not the best, but its a start.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will do mang, that's what I usually get them when we hit the parks and such.

Son Of Man

Awards
Imagine the progress we all could've made if we knew half of what we now know when we were teens.
thats the truth!! thats awesome that your son wants to get into training!

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Baseball: THE greatest sport invented... of course I have my bias'. Anyhoo, seeings how he is a ball player, you might look into getting some baseball specific workouts. Just a thought. While basic compound moves should always be applied, some rotator cuff exercise could help prolong the life of his arm.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Here is a site you might find helpful for Jayhawkk JR. I just hope he does not like magenta like his dad...
http://www.athletes.com/fun/baseballwork.htm

Also, I agree about the diet part, don't force it on him, he will learn soon enough, and if not take the initiative to introduce him to a great diet, as his father you can have a way BETTER impact on his well being than any coach can. Just don't be Joe Jackson and he will be fine.

DaWarw

Awards
Just make sure he eats a lot of protein. (i.e. steaks, chicken, and throw in some whey)

rocketscientist

Awards
Got that too right now. My son just started to go to the gym with me a couple of months ago. He's 16 now, and in school it's of course all about steroids and getting big fast (and of course everyone that is bigger has to be on steroids).

Anyway - my take is no supplements (protein for now, of course funded by me) w/o proper diet. That way I hope he'll watch his diet at least a little. You can teach and show proper diet but you can't make them eat it. And I always get the 'How can you eat that stuff' comment...

I hope watching his diet will come next if he's really interested.

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
Jay, as a teen I understand your worried about his diet. Like the many before me have said, dont worry to much. The big thing that my parents have done for me, is to not give me much of a choice in what I get to eat. If its in the house I eat it... plain and simple. So they are both healthy and eat healthy so I learned to eat healthy. If you allow him to eat whatever he wants... that he can find in your house... then you should be good :)

ps.. on the water business. I dont know if your water comes out of the tap, but I used to hate that stuff too. But I started putting it in a jug in the frig. and I would go do my cardio in the heat. Get home and that cold water would be like nectar. ..... lesson learned, make it special and the boy will learn to love it... psych 101

~Mk

CRUNCH

CRUNCH

Awards
  • Established
One thing to consider about diet for your son not pushing him too hard to eat good. As I kid, the more I got pushed for something, the less I wanted to do it!

Tell them what will help them get stronger, leaner, and bigger, then let them decide. The best thing about this is dad. When the kids see you eating healthy and looking good, that in itself may motivate them to follow your lead. This way they decided to do it themselves.

Perfect age too, I started when I was 12 and never looked back! I'm just thinking how my training would have gone if I'd had a dad with that kind of knowledge.

Good luck Jayhawkk!

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
when i was in my teen years drinking a gallon of milk a day helped me packkk on the mass real quick. if he doesnt want to drink whey or eat boring high protein foods, milk is always a great alternative.

i dont know how people bodybuild without milk.

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
"Hi there little Jayhawk. Here's a 23 gauge, 1.5 inch needle for you. Now let's go work out. That's a good boy!"

RAVEN

RAVEN

ALRI
Awards
  • Established
I think weight training is so important. Especially in your teens.
I hit 155 bench @ 15 years old in highschool in our PE class. I have been hooked ever since. So I think its a great thing. Being a mom myself( my son is 3 , so I have a bit to go) I definately want my kid to eat right, but I also want him to be able to experience normal kid stuff like an occasional birthday cake hamburger etc. As to water,my son prefers it to juice. He always asks for it. I was worried about the huge amounts of sugar in juice when he was a baby that I just started giving him water and he loves it. SO I guess another issue being what kind of habits you and your son can form together.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks guys, i'm throwing in a lot of this advice and the water in the fridge thing works :) I didn't even think of the rotator cuff exercises and those are never bad for anyone! About 4 more days till we start for the summer. He's been up in his room practicing stretches the past few days and asking questions about everything from diet to training.

The only downside to this is i'll have to find a way to mentally scar him from ever thinking he can kick my ass when he out grows me :p

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The only downside to this is i'll have to find a way to mentally scar him from ever thinking he can kick my ass when he out grows me :p
Just show him your posts asking can you be Magenta- that would scar any kid...

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just because you're not secure n your manhood dosn't mean I should have to shy away from magenta! That is a dark reddish color right?