Pomegranates

size

Awards
  • Established
Not sure how many of you eat/drink pomegranates but there may be an abundance of health benefits.

Pomegranate Juice May Clear Clogged Arteries
Link
Pomegranate Juice Fights Heart Disease, Study Says
Link

Pomegranates: the fruity panacea
Link

Pomegranates 'slow tumour growth'
Link

Last edited:

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Good links bro. I guess I'll have to stop at the store today and see if I can actually find some. :D

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
I take a pomegranate extract twice a day and try and buy the juice (but they tend to add sugar because pomegranate is so tart).

As a kid, we used to have pomegranate fights because they stained so well, LOL.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
The GI of Pomegranate Juice made by POM Wonderful is 67 just so you guys know. 67 is quite high when compared to ice cream that averages 65.

The pomegranate extract would probably be a better idea.

motiv8erJR

motiv8erJR

Awards
  • Established
During the school year I throw cranberry and pomegranate juice extract in my whey shake post workout.... :)

~Mk

ps. Omegranates are the fruit of the bible.... they are always there when it starts talking about sex.....:D

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
During the school year I throw cranberry and pomegranate juice extract in my whey shake post workout.... :)

~Mk

ps. Omegranates are the fruit of the bible.... they are always there when it starts talking about sex.....:D
Haha leave it up to "a motiv8er" to bring sex into a discussion about pomegranates :) :head:

maxer

Awards
Anyone know when pomegranate season is? I know where some pomegranate trees are so I can get them for free but I never know what time of year to go

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I grew up with these fruits, nothing like a bowl full of seeds - eat them with a spoon = heaven.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Anyone know when pomegranate season is? I know where some pomegranate trees are so I can get them for free but I never know what time of year to go
It's Pomegranate Season

by Margaret Hill

For pomegranate lovers, pomegranate season is too short. The California orchards that supply U.S. markets begin harvesting in October and wrap up by January. Right now, you can find plump, tasty samples in your local grocery store, but get them while you can, for their availability is short-lived. Fortunately, pomegranate juice is sold year-round, so if you miss the fruit harvest, you can still enjoy the juice whenever you like.
Your body will love you for it, too—plenty of research suggests that pomegranate juice has strong health benefits. As elaborated in two articles published this year in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, pomegranate juice has positive effects on cardiovascular health and can slow tumor growth.

Improving Cardiovascular Health

A study led by Claudio Napoli, professor of medicine and clinical pathology at the University of Naples in Italy (Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102: 4896–4901, 2005), demonstrated that pomegranate juice reduces atherosclerotic lesions in mice bred to develop the disease. The juice, which the mice drank diluted in their water supply, significantly slowed the onset of atherosclerosis in mice that had not yet developed it and reversed it in mice with existing lesions.

In exploring the mechanisms behind these effects, Napoli’s group showed that the juice did two things: It enhanced production of the enzyme nitric oxide synthase, and it reduced production of two transcription factors involved in stimulating oxidative metabolism. The researchers demonstrated both of these activities in living mice, and in human cardiovascular cells grown in culture.

The effect on nitric oxide synthase is significant because this is the enzyme responsible for generating nitric oxide, a small signaling molecule necessary for relaxation and dilation of blood vessels. Atherosclerosis is accompanied by a loss of production of this important metabolic messenger. Atherosclerosis is also accompanied by increases in oxidative degradation of cellular components at lesion sites. Reversal of these processes can reestablish good cardiovascular health, as the researchers showed.

Slowing Cancer

Another group at the University of Wisconsin investigated pomegranate juice and its effects on human cancer cells in culture and on mice with actively growing tumors (Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102: 14813–14818, 2005). Led by Hasan Mukhtar, director and vice chair for research in the department of dermatology, this team found that pomegranate extracts inhibited cell proliferation in culture and slowed tumor growth in living mice.

Test animals received pomegranate extract in their water supply: one group received an amount that corresponds to the human equivalent of a daily 8-oz glass of juice, and a second group received a 16-oz equivalent. A third group received water only. After receiving injections of cancer cells, the mice consuming the highest dose took 50 days to develop tumors of a size that water-fed mice developed in about 30 days. It took about 40 days for the mice receiving the low pomegranate dose to grow tumors of similar size.

A probable mechanism underlying this effect became apparent during experiments with human prostate carcinoma cells grown in culture. When pomegranate extract was added to these cultures, cell growth dropped off. A further look at changes in cellular protein profiles revealed that the pomegranate-treated cells were producing proteins characteristic of apoptosis, or programmed cell death. Nontreated cells did not share this characteristic.

Researchers from both studies have yet to determine the identities of the specific compounds responsible for the observed effects. Many lines of research from these and other labs point to polyphenols as likely contenders. Pomegranate juice is rich in compounds of this class, which are known to have potent antioxidant properties. Future work is expected to identify the active agents as well as to provide more detail about their molecular mechanisms of action.

2fresh

2fresh

Awards
Boy how much fun it is pealing and taken apart that whole Pomegranate and gettin out all those seeds. Mmmm I love doing the bowl and spoon thing. The flavor just explodes in your mouth and is so worth eating. Exotic and rare fruits are so much better then silly apples and oranges.

size

Awards
  • Established
Bringing this thread back up for the wonderful pomegranate. Just read a new article on this vary topic and thought others may enjoy it as well.

Pomegranate Reverses Atherosclerosis and Slows the Progression of Prostate Cancer
THE LINK

Pomegranate: What You Need to Know
  • Pomegranate is now recognized as a powerful source of phytonutrients that can help prevent and reverse cardiovascular disease, avert cancer, and promote healthy skin.
  • Pomegranate contains high levels of punicalagins, which are powerful antioxidants used to standardize the potency of pomegranate juice and extracts.
  • Pomegranate increases the synthesis of nitric oxide, a key factor required for healthy endothelial function of the inner arteries. Pomegranate’s antioxidant effects protect nitric oxide from oxidative degradation.
  • New human studies offer dramatic evidence that consuming pomegranate can help reduce coronary plaque buildup and thus reverse existing atherosclerosis. Pomegranate further benefits cardiovascular health by inhibiting LDL oxidation, reducing blood pressure, and quenching oxidative stress.
  • Laboratory studies show that pomegranate slows the proliferation of prostate cancer cells and increases cancer cell death. In men treated for prostate cancer, pomegranate dramatically slows PSA doubling time, significantly delaying disease progression. Pomegranate may also help reduce the risk of colon, lung, and breast cancers.
  • Topically applied pomegranate extract helps protect the skin from damaging ultraviolet radiation, reduces inflammation, speeds wound healing, and promotes healthy, youthful-looking skin.
  • Pomegranate’s numerous health-promoting benefits can now be obtained in the form of highly concentrated liquid and powdered extracts.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
I have been taking promegranite for three years now. Also researdh like benefits with berries, grapes, and green tea.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
I love myself a pomegranate but I remember reading in a post here that pomegranates have phytoestrogens? anyone know for sure?

gdbear65

gdbear65

Awards
  • Established
I love myself a pomegranate but I remember reading in a post here that pomegranates have phytoestrogens? anyone know for sure?
I just read that the seeds have phytoestrogen, however I think you're safe drinking the juice or taking an extract.

I like mixing pure pomegranate juice with blueberry or cherry juice, both of which are also quite good for you, especially blueberry. Fortunately there's an Organic Health Food store near me that sells these juices at a reasonable price - some brands (like POM) are way over-priced. I buy 1 litre of unsweetened pure pom juice for $4CDN.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kingdong Nutrition / Health 0
Supplements 2