Need a decent MRP to replace my post-workout meal.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm going to have an hour and 20 minutes in between summer classes. Since I go to the school gym, I figure this will be the best time to go workout. The problem is that I won't have enough time to come home and eat a meal, so I need a good MRP to consume post-workout.

I have a little blender and would perfer something that comes in packets that I can just store in my little locker. I was considering EAS Myoplex Deluxe, but at $101 for 36 packets the price is a little absurd. I realize that PWO is the most important meal of the day so I'm willing to spend a bit more for a good quality product.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you thought about just concocting your own?

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Have you thought about just concocting your own?
Yup...I need to keep this in a tiny locker. I'd perfer to just be able to rip open a packet, dump it in my blender with some water, and down it.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
As strange as it may feel for you, you'd be better of packaging food for the day. I used to have 8 hour school days and would use most breaks for eating. Proper nutrition > all. Although, I did get a few strange looks and a couple people at work have mentioned I'm always eating. I think they are jealous.

You could put tuna in a air tight container, pack chicken sandwhiches, pack chicken by itself, etc.

Just a thought.

If you completely disagree, then have you ever looked at ATW's MRPs? May be a good idear.

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
If you end up having to go the MRP route, you may want to try VPX Micellean Bioactive Superfood. I used to use these when I was pressed for time. It took me a while to come across it because I never expected to buy something from VPX but the nutritional profile is excellent. Taste is good and if I remember correctly the price was not too bad.

Carbs come from barley, oats and other low GI sources I cannot remember. Protein comes from whey, egg and micellar casein. Fat comes from flax and sesame oil.

Overall, I was pleased with the product but since you have a blender it seems like making your own would be ideal and much easier on the wallet.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
You don't want any fat post workout if you can avoid it even if it is from a healthy source. Oats and whey in a ziploc should satisfy your need to rip open a pouch.

Basso

Basso

Awards
  • Established
If your set on a MRP I'd have to say (hold the flames please) Biotest Grow is by far the best tasting MRP with a good nutrition profile. EAS (which isn't really EAS anymore) is some pretty nasty tasting stuff and whenever a company gets bought out a few times I'd question the quality of the product. JMO

Becuase of my job etc. I rely on at least one MRP a day so I put the amount I want in a shaker and throw it in my bag, just add water.

fog_hat1981

Awards
Whey and dextrose in a baggy - how much easier does it get?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Whey and dextrose in a baggy - how much easier does it get?

No dextrose. Dextrose bad. Maltodextrin bad. Go with a lower GI carb source. Dextrose bad.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Their is only a few good choices in mrps. VPX is ok but the carbs are to damn low. Core mrp and labrada breakfast mrp also use oats as the main carb source. The best I've found is prolab lean mass matrix. 40gs carbs 40gs protein and its main source of carbs comes from barley wich has a lower GI then oatmeal.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
Well for $101, you could buy a ton of Oats and Protein. Throw (2) scoops of whey in a baggy and a cup of oats. Mix with water when you get the chance and you're good to go. MRP's - been there, done that, wasted a lot of money in the process. :)

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I'm with the cat man-BP.
Just 50 grams of protein from whey and 2 packs of the oatmeal I posted in the Nutrition forum!

Sounds awesome - I think I'll have some right now!

fog_hat1981

Awards
No dextrose. Dextrose bad. Maltodextrin bad. Go with a lower GI carb source. Dextrose bad.
If we are talking about POST workout and you are saying dextrose is bad then you are either clueless or have a ton of explaining to do...

fog_hat1981

Awards
Hi - My name is Fog Hat and my team hasn't won a national title since Jmh80 was 0 years old :)

Bobo's post lots of stuff on low GI for pre and post workout supplementation. Get with the program!!
Alright wise ass - we can get personal if you would like but I would prefer to stay out of those types of silly games...

I am not saying that LowGI is wrong post-workout as I have used it in cutting diets etc and feel it has good fat burning qualities in the proper cutting diet. However, what makes Dextrose BAD? An actual answer would be much nicer than telling me to look at Bobo's posts. I have read most of the threads he has started on here and have been around long enough to understand how LowGI is beneficial but I still don't understand why dextrose would be completely discouraged....

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
High GI has a much bigger propensity for fat storage than low GI.

And, chill out man. It was a joke. It's only May. We got 4 months till the season starts.

fog_hat1981

Awards
High GI has a much bigger propensity for fat storage than low GI.

And, chill out man. It was a joke. It's only May. We got 4 months till the season starts.
Fair enough - on both accounts....

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I guess you can think about it like this. Everyone touts dex. because "you have to replenish your glycogen stores like now!" after working out.
But, we are merely body builders. Our glycogen requirements aren't those of a cyclist or runner where it is imperative. We're usually in it for vanity reasons - not preformance.

That's sorta what we are trying to say.
But, if you like dex. over oats or whatever - go for it.

fog_hat1981

Awards
I guess you can think about it like this. Everyone touts dex. because "you have to replenish your glycogen stores like now!" after working out.
But, we are merely body builders. Our glycogen requirements aren't those of a cyclist or runner where it is imperative. We're usually in it for vanity reasons - not preformance.

That's sorta what we are trying to say.
But, if you like dex. over oats or whatever - go for it.
Well, I prefer dextrose if slin is involved simply because I am looking for an initial uptake and don't want the oats to linger around in my stomach for an hour being "digested" etc...

I know that slin was not a part of the original question but I suppose my point is that dextose has its place in certain circumstances and can't be completely dismissed even if a LITTLE fat stores come along with it....

:drunk:

As for GA's win/loss ratio - when you're a fan - you're a fan......

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I don't fool with insulin. And don't plan on it. So, I'm not familiar with it at all.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alright wise ass - we can get personal if you would like but I would prefer to stay out of those types of silly games...

I am not saying that LowGI is wrong post-workout as I have used it in cutting diets etc and feel it has good fat burning qualities in the proper cutting diet. However, what makes Dextrose BAD? An actual answer would be much nicer than telling me to look at Bobo's posts. I have read most of the threads he has started on here and have been around long enough to understand how LowGI is beneficial but I still don't understand why dextrose would be completely discouraged....
If it works for you, give er. But the risk for adipose storage over prolonged usage of Dextrose is there, that's a fact. And if you are after the initial uptake then the fibre in Oats alone should appeal to you. Both work, no doubt, but personally I would rather be injesting something that is extremely healthy for me whilst achieving my intended outcome.

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
if you MUST have a packaged MRP, it wont get much better than prolabs lean mass complex or naturally lean complex. protein blend is mostly whey with a small amount of casein, carbs come from barley, brown rice, and oat flour. the macros are 40/40/20, so it does contain a small amount of fat.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I decided to go with Prolab's Lean Mass Complex. Thanks guys.