Lower back "nodules" - AnabolicMinds.com

Lower back "nodules"

  1. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    Lower back "nodules"


    When I was airborne, I injured my back and months later I had noticed a small lump in my lower back that didn't hurt but had the consistancy of a fish eye and even moved as such when prodded. Couple years later I noticed I had several of them, still not painful and when I brought it up to the doc. he told me just a calcium deposit. He said this with just a feel so I went with it. As of last year there were many, still not painful but not oval like they used to be some had irregular shapes and sizes but all moved and felt as they always did, like a "fish eye" being poked. Since I lost this weight i'm having problems where while wearing a belt and sitting down in the car, for example, the lumps will slide and move out of the way and it causes a slight bit of discomfort and pain. Only times like this though and while at work wearing my police belt. I think as I continue to lose weight they may be more noticable.



    I've researched online and found anything from pockets of liquid, calcium, bone fragments covered in masses to protect the spinal chord etc. Does anyone know anything about this or can point me in the right direction? I want to know if going into the docs will yield anything more than a bill and a suggestion of stretching exercises. 25 dollar doc visits and med fills and physicals are getting expensive with 4 kids so i'm getting all the info I can where it's free first. Thanks for any help at all.

  2. Senior Member
    Viperspit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,766
    Rep Power
    999

    Reputation

    Hmmm, I'd go to the Doc and get them checked out. You may have what I have. They are lymphatic tissue pockets. "fatty tissue", small lumps around various parts of your body, usually around your mid-section and lower back. I had 33 of them cut out surgically several years ago. Unfortunately, the lower your bodyfat, the more they are noticeable. There's really nothing you can do about them either. They are harmless, but look bad. I still have a couple. That's just my guess from what I've read. Good luck with it, get it checked.
  3. Registered User
    Ronin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    369

    Reputation

    I agree with Viperspit - I have the same thing and have had one large one removed from my hip area.. that one was actually painful to push on it.
    •   
       

  4. Senior Member
    Viperspit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,766
    Rep Power
    999

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin13
    I agree with Viperspit - I have the same thing and have had one large one removed from my hip area.. that one was actually painful to push on it.

    I had one in the middle of my chest like that. Taking elbows in basketball on it really hurt like a $$%^ Did you only have one? Reason I ask, is that my Doc told me it's like a virus and you tend to get more than one. There are some people out there that have extremely bad cases unfortunately (literally covered with them).
  5. Registered User
    Ronin13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    43
    Posts
    531
    Rep Power
    369

    Reputation

    Holy crap. Had no idea. I have a few smaller ones but nothing like the one I had removed. it was the size of a golf ball.
  6. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    Got checked out and gettting an MRI and ultrasound first to confirm. The problem is that if I wear a belt and sit down they push into my back both causing pain but the more weight I lose the more they're causing other issues like my hands and feet(up my lg to my knee) going to sleep and both my hands and feet getting extremely cold.

    Looking things up and it seems this is because as I lose weight the lipomas don't shrink and while my back muscles get stronger and fat gets less, they have no room to move like before and now they're pushing into my spine etc. It's painful.
  7. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10344

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Got checked out and gettting an MRI and ultrasound first to confirm. The problem is that if I wear a belt and sit down they push into my back both causing pain but the more weight I lose the more they're causing other issues like my hands and feet(up my lg to my knee) going to sleep and both my hands and feet getting extremely cold.

    Looking things up and it seems this is because as I lose weight the lipomas don't shrink and while my back muscles get stronger and fat gets less, they have no room to move like before and now they're pushing into my spine etc. It's painful.
    Be careful about how much of this you mention to your employer. You could end up getting a disability separation.
  8. Senior Member
    Viperspit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,766
    Rep Power
    999

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Got checked out and gettting an MRI and ultrasound first to confirm. The problem is that if I wear a belt and sit down they push into my back both causing pain but the more weight I lose the more they're causing other issues like my hands and feet(up my lg to my knee) going to sleep and both my hands and feet getting extremely cold.

    Looking things up and it seems this is because as I lose weight the lipomas don't shrink and while my back muscles get stronger and fat gets less, they have no room to move like before and now they're pushing into my spine etc. It's painful.

    Jayhawk, It sounds like your pretty low in bf if this is the case. I can see if the edges of the belt are pressing into a lipoma that it would hurt, but if you're saying the flat part of the belt is hurting your, then most definitely get it checked out. The surgery for removal is painless and very safe. you will have some small scars from the cutting if you choose to go this route. Mine are hardly even noticeable. I wish you the best, it's not fun going thru life with these annoying little bastards

    edit: if you care to, take a pic of one of those little $hits and post it, and I'll do the same. I'm almost postive now that you do have the same thing.
  9. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    I'll see if I can get one to come out on a picture. Well YR, I figure that as long as i can prove I can do the job then i'm fine and so far I have been able to since I can just deal with the problems. If it comes to the point that I can't then finding another career path is always an option.
  10. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10344

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    I'll see if I can get one to come out on a picture. Well YR, I figure that as long as i can prove I can do the job then i'm fine and so far I have been able to since I can just deal with the problems. If it comes to the point that I can't then finding another career path is always an option.
    Well, these things get complicated real quick. However, a simple explanation is that if you cannot perform one of the "essential functions" of the job without reasonable accommodation, then the employer can terminate you. I would imagine wearing your utility belt is an essential function for a police officer.

    Once the employer is on notice of a disability, legal machinery starts churning and it's really hard to turn off. I would encourage you to explore resolving this outside employer channels if at all possible. You certainly don't want to do anything that would cause you permanent injury, but you also don't want the employer jumpin the gun if this is a transitory thing.
  11. Senior Member
    Viperspit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,766
    Rep Power
    999

    Reputation

    woah, let's back up the truck here boys. I may be out of line saying this, but WTF? lipoma's aren't serious. I've never heard of someone having lipoma's lose their jobs. hell, you can have surgery on a Satuday morning, and be back to work Monday with no probblems. yes, you will have some stitches, but only a few over each one. Let's not make this into a career threatening disease.
  12. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    Yeah, explored the union rights etc and so far it is being handled outside of work. I had an original back injury, a fracture in the lower back and I was told this could lead to the lipomas so with the long medical trail there I always have the VA. To accomidate myself, I just wear the belt a little loose so that sitting doesn't push into my back too hard. As well as moving my handcuff case to the side.
  13. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    Oh, this is under the impression it comes back more serious than just plan fatty lumps of stuff I still have to get the tests done. But I don't see this really being an issue either, Viper.
  14. Senior Member
    Viperspit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,766
    Rep Power
    999

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    Oh, this is under the impression it comes back more serious than just plan fatty lumps of stuff I still have to get the tests done. But I don't see this really being an issue either, Viper.

    That's the right attitude. Now I want to see you on "Cops" beating the living $hit outta somebody
  15. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    I know right...I've tried so hard to be tapped while people people but so far nothing. So with my never quit attitude, I just keep beating people till it gets filmed! The things i've learned using the baton. :bruce1:
  16. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10344

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Viperspit
    woah, let's back up the truck here boys. I may be out of line saying this, but WTF? lipoma's aren't serious. I've never heard of someone having lipoma's lose their jobs. hell, you can have surgery on a Satuday morning, and be back to work Monday with no probblems. yes, you will have some stitches, but only a few over each one. Let's not make this into a career threatening disease.
    This is what Jayhawkk said:

    Since I lost this weight i'm having problems where while wearing a belt and sitting down in the car, for example, the lumps will slide and move out of the way and it causes a slight bit of discomfort and pain. Only times like this though and while at work wearing my police belt. I think as I continue to lose weight they may be more noticable.

    You're assuming that this is some minor issue (lipoma) but we don't know that. He was airborne, for all we know he's got shards of spine floating around from all the damage he did making hard landings.

    If he tells his employer that he's having a problem wearing his belt, this IS a career threatening problem. A cop who can't wear his belt without experiencing physical pain is a cop who can't perform an essential function of the job. Maybe it can be corrected with surgery. Maybe not. In the interim, he's likely to be given some light duty assignment while the process of determining whether this is a temporary or permanent disability starts grinding away.

    Advising people in this situation is a part of my job. I've seen things like this go badly for employees when they share too much information with their employers.

    It's none of the employer's business at this point but once they are on notice, they have legal obligations which kick-in and very often work to the detriment of the employee.

    Jayhawkk has two issues here: (1) The Medical issue ; and (2) Potential legal issues.

    I know nothing about the medical issue. Therefore, my advice is confined to the potential legal issues. Best course of action, try NOT to have any legal issues by resolving this outside of the employer's knowledge.
  17. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    Yeah, I understand and value your advice, YR. I try to keep as much of any info I have to myself but enough given that I avoid getting into the same situation by withholding information. I have a couple of weeks I would guess before the tests are done so i'll know more soon and will keep you all updated to what it turns out to be. YR, the bone shards are a definate probability but they should be removed fairly easy from what i've been told. Basically it's the same procedure.
  18. New Member
    joeyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    185

    Reputation

    A lipoma, or fatty tumor, is different from what you are describing. There's no bone mass involved. I have a couple of lipomas actually. A tiny one on my ear (looks like a very small pimple) and a bigger one (about the diameter of a dime) on my back. Apparently, they're genetic; my aunt has a bunch of them all. Lipomas, as long as they don't restrict movement or cause pain during normal activity, are completely harmless. The risk of the surgeon screwing up in taking out the lipoma is far worse, in my opinion, than having a tiny bump on your back. But to each their own.

    J.
  19. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11679

    Reputation

    It's about12-15 Lumps from the size of an egg to dime sized ones. I didn't say they had bone involved. I said that the doc in the army told me that when I first noticed one several years ago. They are also sitting on top of and next to my spine and are causing all kinds of pain and other issues. Especially when anything pushes them into my back...I'll risk surgery cause this is a pain in the butt(pun intended)
  20. New Member
    joeyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    32
    Posts
    140
    Rep Power
    185

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk
    It's about12-15 Lumps from the size of an egg to dime sized ones. I didn't say they had bone involved. I said that the doc in the army told me that when I first noticed one several years ago. They are also sitting on top of and next to my spine and are causing all kinds of pain and other issues. Especially when anything pushes them into my back...I'll risk surgery cause this is a pain in the butt(pun intended)
    Whoops. I swear someone said something about bone. If the lipomas are causing pressure and discomfort, then you should see a general surgeon and get those suckers taken out.

    J.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. ucp-1 and lower back pain
    By Bryan in forum Supplements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-31-2003, 04:40 PM
  2. M1t and lower back pain PART 2!!!!!
    By thepizmo in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 08:07 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-02-2003, 07:51 AM
  4. Lower Back
    By Trapark666 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-19-2003, 01:17 AM
  5. What does it mean if, when doing squats, your lower back hurts?
    By JohnGafnea in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 12:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in