Fiber and Protein absorbtion?

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I read somewhere that fiber added to protein makes it digest slower, if this is true would it be good to add fiber to a before bed protein shake?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think so. Right now I'm drinking/eating
1 cup of skim
1 cup egg whites
1 cup lowfat CC
1 TBSP
1/2 Cup Fiber One

Been working for me for a while now :D

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I just had a bowl of shredded wheat and 3oz of tuna steak:) Its a good idea to eat lots of fiber with your protien anyway. If you're eating a high protien diet without enough fiber, you'll know it, and it wont be fun!
:dump: :toilet:

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
IS there a rule of thumb to how much fiber one should take with certain amount of grams of protein or is everyone different?

Like the 1g of protein per pound of lbm is a staple but is there one for fiber that coincides with protein? Just curiouse

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
IS there a rule of thumb to how much fiber one should take with certain amount of grams of protein or is everyone different?

Like the 1g of protein per pound of lbm is a staple but is there one for fiber that coincides with protein? Just curiouse
I would go with ~25-30g of fiber or more. That's what I try to get and I'm consuming anywhere from 260-310g Protein depending on if I workout that day or not. Just my $0.02.

gresh

gresh

Awards
I realized I needed to up my fiber and the easiest way for me is to add a scoop of HDT Fiber-psyll (13g fiber) to a couple scoops of GF Pro, tastes pretty good. Right now I'm hitting about 40g of fiber and 320g protein a day.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established

Here is a good link from the Mayo Clinic website. Men under age 50 should be getting 38g of fiber a day....and this is for the average person, not bodybuilders who tend to consume much more protein than the average person....so I'd consider that 38 grams a floor.

http://mayoclinic.com/health/fiber/NU00033

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I took in 75g of fiber yesterday, and I only consumed 2600 calories (my lowest day while cutting). It takes a bit of getting used to, so increase it gradually.

Only problem I've had involves the plumbing in my apt. Not always capable of immediately handling the big loads :eek:

Bodybuilders definitely need a lot of fiber.

Gumbo

Gumbo

Awards
I take 5-10 grams of fiber after any large meal. Physilium husk (sp?) powder is very cheap and keeps your plumbing clean!

Gumbo