Oats or Malto Meal ??

Stinger124

Awards
  • Established
I have seen on here where alot of the guys eat oats. I have never been one to eat oats, But I love malto meal... I looked at the nutrients on them both, and they are pretty simular.

Question is... Would it be ok to eat the malto meal, or should I stick with the oats ? And why ?

Thanks

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
They're not pretty similar, oats are loe GI and therefore superior. Oats also provide fiber and help stabilize blood sugar levels and combat potential cholesterol issues. Bobo would have an aneurism if you said they were similar :D

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
They may be but man I can't stand them. I've tried putting different things in them... Maybe I just haven't found the right recipe? I know a lot of people can eat them plain... YUCK

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
They may be but man I can't stand them. I've tried putting different things in them... Maybe I just haven't found the right recipe? I know a lot of people can eat them plain... YUCK
MMMM.........plain oats!! :food:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Get a coffe bean grinder (10 bucks at wal mart) and grind em and put in with your protein powder or mix in with hamburger/turkey meat or tuna fish in your sammitch.

Can even use it like a coating on stuff this way. There's way of taking in your oats if you don't like them.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Get a coffe bean grinder (10 bucks at wal mart) and grind em and put in with your protein powder or mix in with hamburger/turkey meat or tuna fish in your sammitch.

Can even use it like a coating on stuff this way. There's way of taking in your oats if you don't like them.
Yeah great idea sorry I can't rep ya again.... :box:

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
Another vote for oats! And you can just buy whole oat flour if you don't want to grind he oats yourself. They're the same thing.

Though malt-o-meal is pretty tasty. You guys ever hear of Zoom? It's like malt-o-meal but was names by my great grand pappy... :D lol

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
oats + cinnamon + stevia is always tasty. try cooking the oats with extra water/milk first then add in protein powder after they are cooked. the powder will absorb the excess liquid and make it real thick. most protein powders taste really good when mixed with oatmeal.

for real flavor enhancement, i used to to mix 1 tbsp walden farms "calorie free" marshmellow dip with oats and cinnamon. boy, does that run up a toll quick. walden farms products are great if you have a sweet tooth but they arent cheap.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^yussir, there's a good amount of things you can add. My chocolate ON whey is great with it.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Also, if you can find them where you live, try toasted oat bran. Great flavor and since it is already cooked you just dump it in hot water and voila! done. Similar to Malto Meal consistancy/flavor. I love it with protein powder mixed in.

Serving size 1/3 cup
Calories 130
Cals from fat 25
Total fat 3g
Sat fat 0.5
Trans fat 0
Cholesterol 0
Sodium 0
Total carb 24g
Dietary fiber 6g
Soluble fiber 3g
Insoluble fiber 3g
Sugars 1g
Protein 7g

Yeah baby!

EDIT: I get mine at Trader Joes.

Pitbull954

Pitbull954

Awards
  • Established
Also, if you can find them where you live, try toasted oat bran. Great flavor and since it is already cooked you just dump it in hot water and voila! done. Similar to Malto Meal consistancy/flavor. I love it with protein powder mixed in.

Serving size 1/3 cup
Calories 130
Cals from fat 25
Total fat 3g
Sat fat 0.5
Trans fat 0
Cholesterol 0
Sodium 0
Total carb 24g
Dietary fiber 6g
Soluble fiber 3g
Insoluble fiber 3g
Sugars 1g
Protein 7g

Yeah baby!

EDIT: I get mine at Trader Joes.
Nice I live by a trader joes, I will pick some up

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
I love oats!

-splenda makes all the difference in the world. No lie! Put in 2 or 3 packs of splenda and it makes it a whole new taste!

-toss in some chocolate whey protein or some natty peanut butter as well, I have even used vanilla Ultra Peptide and it tastes okay.

-oats are so versitle and easy to make, thats why I love them.

My favorite recipe=
3/4 cup oats (7.5p/40.5c/3.5f)
1 tbsp natty crunchy pb (4p/ 3.5c/ 8f)
1 90cc scoop ATW chocolate isolate (35p/ 1.5c/ 0f)
teaspoon splenda

totals:
471.5 calories, 46.5g protein, 45.5g carbs, 11.5g fat and I seriously love the taste!:woohoo:

Alpha-male

Awards
If you wanna be lean, then a malto meal is a no-no! This is what I do with the oats. Since it's faster to drink them than to eat them this is what do. Plug in my blender. Drop 1 cup oats in there and grind them up. After they're real fine, I add 2 scoops protein and water/milk and grind again. Takes about 5 min from start to finish, including drinking it. If you want a shake on the go, you can grind up the oats, and put them in a shaker bottle along with protein and maybe creatine, and when it's time to drink, add the liquid and shake it up. BAM! Muscle juice. Also guys don't forget, those quaker oats aren't low gi. Steel cut oats are the low gi ones. If you just absolutely can't do oats, then I recommend SuperCarb by avant labs. It's a powder just like malto but according to Avant Labs it's got a gi lower than 20. I usually use oats/protein/creatine as my PWO shake. Peace.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Steel cut are LOWER gi than rolled yes but that does not mean the rolled are not low enough to meet my criteria. You don't think grinding steel cut oats into a powder changes their gi? Think again.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
One of my fav things to do w/ oats is

1c oats
+
2tbsp of pb
+
1c of vanilla yogurt
+
1 scoop of ON whey
=
:food:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
How much on average does the GI change when grinding oats, BP?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
How much on average does the GI change when grinding oats, BP?
Only matters to steel cut as it is widely accepted that the size and lack of processing are a large factor in their GI rating. Grind them up into smaller pieces and you increase their surface area thus decreasing the time it takes to break them down in our digestive system. Rolled oats are already heavily processed through steaming & rolling, grinding them will not make much if any difference in their GI.

I do not have specifics as to how much grinding will actually change them.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ahh okay then that works for me. I eat the rolled and shop those up for my shakes mostly so the other wouldn't effect me as much. Thanks for that info.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Fred Meyer sells Oat flour in their bulk section. Already powdered and cheap. They also have steel cut oats on the cheap. I like grabbin some rolled barley from there as well. FWIW.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Appreciated, i'll check that out cause it's time to change some things around in my diet. My stomach is starting to tell me things :p

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i like the coffee grinder idea...my blender never was able to grind the oats up completely. always left them sitting at the bottom.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I thought that Bobo had posted that grinding up oats does not change their Glycemic Index.

I'll look around and see if I can find it.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah the coffee grinder works in about 10 seconds and turns it into a powder like protein consistency.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
1 cup of oats
1-2 tablespoons natural peanut butter
1 scoop of chocolate whey

It's thick as hell but take the time ot moosh it up together and man does it taste good, blended or whole. But i do have to agree with the statement made before blending up oats would change the GI, after all it's a way of "refining".

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well i guess the question would be how much because if it;s very minor then eh, who cares? I'm gonna make that thing right now you suggested though.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Well i guess the question would be how much because if it;s very minor then eh, who cares? I'm gonna make that thing right now you suggested though.
Agreed, I only mentioned it 'cause of it being brought up that steel cut was the low GI version but then he was blending them. FWIW