Recommendations on Supplements?

iDShaDoW

Awards
Was hoping some people could recommend me some things that might be useful. I have a friend who works at a pharmacy that can get me stuff at the cost the pharmacy gets it for with no mark up.

I've asked him to get me a multi-vitmain, flax oil capsules, fish oil capsules, and some glucosamine to help with my joints while I work out.

Was wondering if there's anything else you all use that you might think would be helpful.

Of course I'll be reading up and doing some research on whatever you all tell me about before getting some and using it, so any and all help is greatly appreciated. Mainly natural or herbal supplements preferred, but I supposed other stuff is alright too assuming there aren't any risks of harmful or negative side effects.

Thanks in advance.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are just starting out, then that is all you really need unless you want to use some protein powder.

iDShaDoW

Awards
Yup, I got the protein powder already. :p

I'm using this ProLab N-Large2 weight gainer stuff.

I read in another post someone say it has a lot of carbs or whatever but I'm not too concerned with that since I'm fairly underweight for someone who's 5'8. I weigh about 120lbs lol.

So there's nothing else that would be good for general health? I'm not interested in only just stuff that would help me gain muscle mass.

Vitamin C is supposed to be good for the immune system but I figured the multi-vitamin might be enough? Or should I try and take Vitamin C supplements as well? Or like Vitamin B-12?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I read in another post someone say it has a lot of carbs or whatever but I'm not too concerned with that since I'm fairly underweight for someone who's 5'8. I weigh about 120lbs lol.

So there's nothing else that would be good for general health? I'm not interested in only just stuff that would help me gain muscle mass.

Vitamin C is supposed to be good for the immune system but I figured the multi-vitamin might be enough? Or should I try and take Vitamin C supplements as well? Or like Vitamin B-12?
You really should only focus on your calorie consumption. N-Large 2 is not an ideal weight gainer but I think that in your situation, you are ok. Eating foods primarily from whole grains, lean protein, fruits, and veggies will provide your body with an adequate influx of nutrients for health and muscle.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established

I'd drop the prolab N2 large and concentrate more on gaining cals from whole foods like was has been suggested to you. Dropping the prolab and picking up some allthewhey or ON whey willl be fine. As far as the multivitamin goes, you should be fine with just that.

iDShaDoW

Awards
Why? What's so good about allthehey or ON and so bad about ProLab?

Part of the whole reason I'm using the weight gainer is cause I'm a broke student and can't exactly afford to eat great, let alone 5-6 meals a day. I have to try and be efficient and using a weight gainer is part of it.

The ProLab stuff itself is like 600 calories and 52g of protein per serving.

I'm aiming for like 2500-3000 calories a day so that does help a bit.

Achilles13

Awards
  • Established
Why? What's so good about allthehey or ON and so bad about ProLab?

Part of the whole reason I'm using the weight gainer is cause I'm a broke student and can't exactly afford to eat great, let alone 5-6 meals a day. I have to try and be efficient and using a weight gainer is part of it.

The ProLab stuff itself is like 600 calories and 52g of protein per serving.

I'm aiming for like 2500-3000 calories a day so that does help a bit.

IMO I just don't beleive in weight gainers. Instead of trying to get cals from weight gainers, it would be better to take them in from whole foods. You could easily replace the weight gainer with a steak. But if that is too costly, then you could probably make a healthier and all around better shake on your own than buying one. Do some searching on the boards and you will find some nice recipes that are better than weight gainers. I am also a college student and I know how money is scare, but with the right planning you can intake enough cals from foods. But for starters prolab N2 large contains 28g of sugar? Do you really want that much sugar incorporated into your diet?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Creatine and I would drop the glucosamine :) I guess it works but 3 of us tried it and 2 of us had zero results and the 3rd guy said he felt it but said it required too much consumption to make it work and stopped taking it.

Some swear by it though. It's cheap so i guess it can't hurt but you could take that 5 bucks and buy some food :)

iDShaDoW

Awards
That's true haha.

How about green tea extract capsules? I suppose making actual tea would be best but with a hectic lifestyle I don't always have the time to wait and brew tea several times a day.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Energy/thermogenics/fat burners etc. are things you need to stay as far away from as you can :)

Can he get BCAA's? Umm, Any health support is never a bad thing. Do they sell protein bars that he can get discounted? That miught be your calorie and lack of food solution :) One or two a day of the ones with low sugar wouldn't be too bad to help out when it's going to be a long time between meals.

iDShaDoW

Awards
Actually, I have no idea if he can get like protein bars or things like that, I was thinking he mainly had access to pharmaceuticals and those types of things. I'll have to ask him about that.

Um... what's a BCAA?

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Actually, I have no idea if he can get like protein bars or things like that, I was thinking he mainly had access to pharmaceuticals and those types of things. I'll have to ask him about that.

Um... what's a BCAA?
Dont worry about the protein bars, stick to whole foods. Most bars are loaded with sugars.

BCAA's: Branched Chain Amino Acids

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
His problem was being broke and not affording any food. Figure at 120 pounds he can afford a couple of low carb bars :)

iDShaDoW

Awards
Well, everyone says there's a lot of carbs and sugars in the N-Large but I usually just take half a serving and mix it with a mug of D milk. Should I be drinking skim milk?

I figured the extra fat isn't such a bad thing considering my weight lol. Half a serving of N-Large would have like 43g of carbs, 26g of protein, and like 13g of sugar on top of whatever the milk has.

Seems like the BCAA's are something you take to help increase your body's ability to absorb protein and decrease loss of muscle mass due to weight lifting? And apparently no side effects? What if I were to stop taking it someday for whatever reason, would I find myself drastically losing muscle mass?

I read this from someone's link to bodybuilding.com.

One popular idea is that BCAA's can move through the blood to the brain and decrease the production of serotonin in the brain's interior, thereby lowering mental fatigue by reducing the amount of serotonin, which can create a sense of tiredness.
It says BCAA's reduce the amount of serotonin your brain releases... Wouldn't that in a way mess with your mood?

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
That quote from bb.com is retarded, and obviously its understandable being where it came from.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Tuna ~$0.35 a can. Oats ~$0.07 per serving. Bananas ~$0.15 each. Eggs ~$0.89 a dozen. Skim milk ~$3 a gallon. Cottage cheese ..... and the list goes on.

Good food can be found on the cheap. Powders are supplements to a diet not substitutes.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nah, not in anyone i've known to take them. It sort of eases your fatigue but doesn't boost emotion or moods, in effect. You can also stop them and not start wasting muscle unless you stop all that you're doing at once like lifting, eating right etc.

iDShaDoW

Awards
Hmmm, I was thinking the reduced serotonin would reduce your mood and sort of cause a slight depressive mood or something.

Guess I'll have to look into the BCAA's. I'm kind of wary of taking supplements that aren't naturally attainable through other means like food or things like, but since it seems like no one really has anything negative to say about them I guess it's worth a shot.

Anyone happen to know a good information resource for BCAA's? Since idunk says bodybuilding.com is garbage lol.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Guess I'll have to look into the BCAA's. I'm kind of wary of taking supplements that aren't naturally attainable through other means like food or things like, but since it seems like no one really has anything negative to say about them I guess it's worth a shot.

Ahem,

Dairy products and red meat contain the greatest amounts of BCAAs, although they are present in all protein-containing foods. Whey protein and egg protein supplements are other sources of BCAAs. BCAA supplements provide the amino acids leucine, isoleucine, and valine.

The branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are leucine, isoleucine, and valine. BCAAs are considered essential amino acids because human beings cannot survive unless these amino acids are present in the diet.

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
I recommend:

My homebrew Immortality drink...

200 servings total
Cost: $150.00
Time of research/formulation: Lots

Serving Size: 3/4 teaspoon
Amount Per Serving:

Acetyl-l-carnitine: 1 gram
L-carnosine: 250 mg
K-R-ALA: 125 mg
Acai (10% phenolic acid): 500 mg
Activin grapeseed (95% proanthocyanins): 100 mg
Blackberry (100:1, 25% anthocyanins): 100 mg
Brocco-phane (20:1 broccoli extract): 125 mg
Pomegranate (70% ellagic acid): 250 mg
Gynostemma (90% gypenosides): 100 mg
ActivAloe (200:1 aloe vera): 200 mg

Other ingredients: Xylitol, stevia, inulin, natural berry flavor.

Sometimes I add bacopa, rhodiola, vinpocetine, huperzine, and ginkgo to it (though idebenone would do well to replace the vinpocetine).

iDShaDoW

Awards
Good gravy, I don't even know like what half that **** is lol.

I guess I could go look up each of those 1 by 1... Unless you don't mind giving me a quick run down on what purpose each of those ingredients serves? Lol.

And the whole calling it an "immortality" drink kinda freaks me out haha.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Good gravy, I don't even know like what half that **** is lol.

I guess I could go look up each of those 1 by 1... Unless you don't mind giving me a quick run down on what purpose each of those ingredients serves? Lol.

And the whole calling it an "immortality" drink kinda freaks me out haha.
Just stick to food.

iDShaDoW

Awards
Yes, that's what I figured too, but when I have a friend who works at a pharmacy that can get me stuff at cost with no mark up, it seems like it'd be stupid to not take advantage of that kind of a hook up in some way.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Yes, that's what I figured too, but when I have a friend who works at a pharmacy that can get me stuff at cost with no mark up, it seems like it'd be stupid to not take advantage of that kind of a hook up in some way.

Some of the Diebetic meal replacement bars/drinks found in pharmacies might be something to check out. Low effect on blood sugar = good. :D

iDShaDoW

Awards
8 entries found for food.
food Audio pronunciation of "food" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fd)
n.

1. Material, usually of plant or animal origin, that contains or consists of essential body nutrients, such as carbohydrates, fats, proteins, vitamins, or minerals, and is ingested and assimilated by an organism to produce energy, stimulate growth, and maintain life.
2. A specified kind of nourishment: breakfast food; plant food.
3. Nourishment eaten in solid form: food and drink.
4. Something that nourishes or sustains in a way suggestive of physical nourishment: food for thought; food for the soul.
eat Audio pronunciation of "eaten" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (t)
v. ate, (t) eat·en, (tn) eat·ing, eats
v. tr.

1. To take into the body by the mouth for digestion or absorption.
2. To take in and absorb as food: a plant that eats insects; a cell that eats bacteria.
3. To include habitually or by preference in one's diet: a bird that eats insects, fruit, and seeds; stopped eating red meat on advice from her doctor.
2. To destroy, ravage, or use up by or as if by ingesting: “Covering news in the field eats money” (George F. Will).
3. To erode or corrode: waves that ate away the beach; an acid that eats the surface of a machine part.
4. To produce by or as if by eating: Moths ate holes in our sweaters.
5. Slang. To absorb the cost or expense of: “You can eat your loss and switch the remaining money to other investment portfolios” (Marlys Harris).
6. Informal. To bother or annoy: What's eating him?
7. Vulgar slang. To perform oral sex on.
Therefore, could not the best medicine be the best food as well? :blink:

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Protein bars, pro n-large 2, all this stuff is expensive yet you are willing to pay for it. Real food is cheaper than these meal replacements. I eat 3500-3800 calories a day depending on the day of the week of pretty much all healthy foods (training with bobo for anyone whos wondering :) ) and my grocery list is $40 a week. Tell me that is not cheap. I buy much of my stuff in bulk, if I did not it would probably be closer to $50 a week, but that is still pretty cheap for that much food.

iDShaDoW

Awards
Who said anything about having my mind set? I was just having a little play on words with the quote Aeternitatis posted.

The whole reason I asked questions was to ask about any useful supplements people could recommend. And there were a few. And a few posts with "eat food" which weren't quite as helpful.

iDShaDoW

Awards
Protein bars, pro n-large 2, all this stuff is expensive yet you are willing to pay for it. Real food is cheaper than these meal replacements. I eat 3500-3800 calories a day depending on the day of the week of pretty much all healthy foods (training with bobo for anyone whos wondering :) ) and my grocery list is $40 a week. Tell me that is not cheap. I buy much of my stuff in bulk, if I did not it would probably be closer to $50 a week, but that is still pretty cheap for that much food.
I don't really eat protein bars since pre-made protein bars and pre-mixed protein drinks are very expensive.

I got a 10lb jug of ProLab N-Large 2 for $40. That'll last me the whole month assuming I take 1 serving per day. That's roughly $1.50 a day for 600calories and 52g of protein. If you can point me to some real food that can give me that much protein for $1.50 I'll go buy some.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
I don't really eat protein bars since pre-made protein bars and pre-mixed protein drinks are very expensive.

I got a 10lb jug of ProLab N-Large 2 for $40. That'll last me the whole month assuming I take 1 serving per day. That's roughly $1.50 a day for 600calories and 52g of protein. If you can point me to some real food that can give me that much protein for $1.50 I'll go buy some.
Tuna! :D

iDShaDoW

Awards
Haha I knew someone was gonna say that.

i just gotta find a way to make it a bit more palatable besides a mayo sandwich. :p

I was thinking of getting a bunch of those Yoplait Yogurt cups too.

snakebyte05

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Tuna costs around .40cents a can.... 1 can = 150 calories and 32.5g protien. Eat 4 cans, cost $1.60, calories = 600, protien 130g. Theres a cheap alternative that gets same calories but more protein and less sugar and crap.

Achilles13

Awards
  • Established
Who said anything about having my mind set? I was just having a little play on words with the quote Aeternitatis posted.

The whole reason I asked questions was to ask about any useful supplements people could recommend. And there were a few. And a few posts with "eat food" which weren't quite as helpful.

Probably because food is the best answer...

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think the problem is that you said you are on a BUDGET, and won't buy real food, but yet you are willing to waste money on supplements. Supplements won't so **** for you if you aren't eating well. Spend your money where it will be most benificial, and that is at the grocery store!

iDShaDoW

Awards
Yes, but I can get supplements for dirt cheap so why not put at least some of my limited budget towards supplements that will help out drastically?

On that note... Someone recommended some BCAA's? How much would you say those normally costs so I can compare retail prices to the price I can get it for? Also, Glutamine's would kind of help serve the same purpose but probably provide a different type of amino acid?

I read that glutamine provides a type of amino acid that is more common while BCAA's provide amino acid's that your body itself does not produce or produce as easily? Are there any other kind of things that provide amino acids that glutamine and BCAA's would not?

Only reason I'm asking is because the amino acids would prevent some muscle loss while working out as well as increase protein absorption efficiency? Am I kind of right or am I wrong? Seems like it would help make what I eat a bit more efficient for my body.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
hey idshadow these guys are giving you GREAT advice, the same advice they gave me.
On a limited budget you might find it easy to buy food for 2500 Cals/day, but what about when you have to up it to 3500 Cals, or 4000 Cals? You are going to need that money then, and if you don't increase your cals you won't increase your weight.
So save that extra money, and instead of buying supps buy some food!

General tips:
Start using fitday.com, EVERYDAY.
Read the nutrition threads/stickies.
check out this post that I made: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/39338-bmr-calculator-calorie-calculator-macro-calculator.html#post445165

email me (jkdriver626 at yahoo.com) and I'll send you the e-book "burn the fat, feed the muscle" by tom venuto.

Start studying and in no time you will begin gaining some muscle.

best of luck!

Last edited:
Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Yes, but I can get supplements for dirt cheap so why not put at least some of my limited budget towards supplements that will help out drastically?
Because supplements do not help out drastically. If someone tells you otherwise then they are either trying to sell you something or else they simply do not want to admit to themselves that they wasted their money.

Seriously, the guys here are giving you great advice. IMO 99% of supplements are overpriced bullcrap, even with a discount. Stick to your EFA's and vitamins (even those can be eliminated if your diet is on) and maybe glucosamine IF your joints are acting up.

But hey if you want to try them out for yourself, go ahead. Most of us have also learned the hard way. Just trying to save a bro some $$$...

Oh yeah, just had to use the new smilies :dl:

iDShaDoW

Awards
Yeah, that's why I'm trying to stick to as few as possible.

I'm pretty much only using the weight gainer stuff for some extra calories and protein on top of my diet (which I need to work on).

And I'm taking a multi-vitamin (Centrum is probably crap but it's what I got for now lol), a Fish/Flax/Borage oil combination capsule, and I'm gonna look in to some glutamine, BCAA's, and glucosamine (although my joints don't really hurt, but it's not meant for joint pain right? It's supposed to help strengthen your joints and ligaments?).

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Nitrox,
I think BCAA's are pretty basic. I feel comfortable recommending mega-dosing them.

Drop the glutamine. Worthless.

iDShaDoW

Awards
Hmm... alright then... no glutamine... I heard the body produces the stuff naturally on it's own in good amounts but thought more couldn't hurt but guess I won't waste money on it.

So that leaves glucosamine and the BCAA's that your body doesn't produce on it's own.