Recommendations on Supplements?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by snakebyte05
    Protein bars, pro n-large 2, all this stuff is expensive yet you are willing to pay for it. Real food is cheaper than these meal replacements. I eat 3500-3800 calories a day depending on the day of the week of pretty much all healthy foods (training with bobo for anyone whos wondering ) and my grocery list is $40 a week. Tell me that is not cheap. I buy much of my stuff in bulk, if I did not it would probably be closer to $50 a week, but that is still pretty cheap for that much food.
    I don't really eat protein bars since pre-made protein bars and pre-mixed protein drinks are very expensive.

I got a 10lb jug of ProLab N-Large 2 for $40. That'll last me the whole month assuming I take 1 serving per day. That's roughly $1.50 a day for 600calories and 52g of protein. If you can point me to some real food that can give me that much protein for $1.50 I'll go buy some.

2. Quote Originally Posted by iDShaDoW
    I don't really eat protein bars since pre-made protein bars and pre-mixed protein drinks are very expensive.

I got a 10lb jug of ProLab N-Large 2 for $40. That'll last me the whole month assuming I take 1 serving per day. That's roughly $1.50 a day for 600calories and 52g of protein. If you can point me to some real food that can give me that much protein for $1.50 I'll go buy some.
    Tuna!
    •   

3. Haha I knew someone was gonna say that.

i just gotta find a way to make it a bit more palatable besides a mayo sandwich. :P

I was thinking of getting a bunch of those Yoplait Yogurt cups too.

4. Tuna costs around .40cents a can.... 1 can = 150 calories and 32.5g protien. Eat 4 cans, cost $1.60, calories = 600, protien 130g. Theres a cheap alternative that gets same calories but more protein and less sugar and crap.

5. Quote Originally Posted by iDShaDoW
    Who said anything about having my mind set? I was just having a little play on words with the quote Aeternitatis posted.

The whole reason I asked questions was to ask about any useful supplements people could recommend. And there were a few. And a few posts with "eat food" which weren't quite as helpful.

Probably because food is the best answer...
    •   

6. I think the problem is that you said you are on a BUDGET, and won't buy real food, but yet you are willing to waste money on supplements. Supplements won't so **** for you if you aren't eating well. Spend your money where it will be most benificial, and that is at the grocery store!

7. Yes, but I can get supplements for dirt cheap so why not put at least some of my limited budget towards supplements that will help out drastically?

On that note... Someone recommended some BCAA's? How much would you say those normally costs so I can compare retail prices to the price I can get it for? Also, Glutamine's would kind of help serve the same purpose but probably provide a different type of amino acid?

I read that glutamine provides a type of amino acid that is more common while BCAA's provide amino acid's that your body itself does not produce or produce as easily? Are there any other kind of things that provide amino acids that glutamine and BCAA's would not?

Only reason I'm asking is because the amino acids would prevent some muscle loss while working out as well as increase protein absorption efficiency? Am I kind of right or am I wrong? Seems like it would help make what I eat a bit more efficient for my body.

8. hey idshadow these guys are giving you GREAT advice, the same advice they gave me.
    On a limited budget you might find it easy to buy food for 2500 Cals/day, but what about when you have to up it to 3500 Cals, or 4000 Cals? You are going to need that money then, and if you don't increase your cals you won't increase your weight.
    So save that extra money, and instead of buying supps buy some food!

General tips:
    Start using fitday.com, EVERYDAY.
    Read the nutrition threads/stickies.
    check out this post that I made: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weigh...tml#post445165

email me (jkdriver626 at yahoo.com) and I'll send you the e-book "burn the fat, feed the muscle" by tom venuto.

Start studying and in no time you will begin gaining some muscle.

best of luck!
    Last edited by cable626; 05-23-2006 at 12:34 AM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by iDShaDoW
    Yes, but I can get supplements for dirt cheap so why not put at least some of my limited budget towards supplements that will help out drastically?
    Because supplements do not help out drastically. If someone tells you otherwise then they are either trying to sell you something or else they simply do not want to admit to themselves that they wasted their money.

Seriously, the guys here are giving you great advice. IMO 99% of supplements are overpriced bullcrap, even with a discount. Stick to your EFA's and vitamins (even those can be eliminated if your diet is on) and maybe glucosamine IF your joints are acting up.

But hey if you want to try them out for yourself, go ahead. Most of us have also learned the hard way. Just trying to save a bro some $$$...

Oh yeah, just had to use the new smilies :dl:

10. Yeah, that's why I'm trying to stick to as few as possible.

I'm pretty much only using the weight gainer stuff for some extra calories and protein on top of my diet (which I need to work on).

And I'm taking a multi-vitamin (Centrum is probably crap but it's what I got for now lol), a Fish/Flax/Borage oil combination capsule, and I'm gonna look in to some glutamine, BCAA's, and glucosamine (although my joints don't really hurt, but it's not meant for joint pain right? It's supposed to help strengthen your joints and ligaments?).

11. Nitrox,
    I think BCAA's are pretty basic. I feel comfortable recommending mega-dosing them.

Drop the glutamine. Worthless.

12. Hmm... alright then... no glutamine... I heard the body produces the stuff naturally on it's own in good amounts but thought more couldn't hurt but guess I won't waste money on it.

So that leaves glucosamine and the BCAA's that your body doesn't produce on it's own.

13. Well, EAA's to be most specific.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-27-2012, 12:14 PM
  2. Recommendations on a SD/LMG + 4ad cycle
    By Tbrunson in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2005, 07:12 AM
  3. Tips for best prices on supplements
    By stratvox in forum Supplements
    Replies: 5