flax oil vs. EVOO

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
Both are excellent sources of healthy fats but what is the advantage to using flax oil over extra virgin olive oil?

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
holy crap i really hate when that lady on the food network says evoo.. i just want to :saw: every time i see her

sorry this post was not anything regarding your question

doggzj

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Beelz, the only difference I know is the ratio of omega fats. I suppose you should use whichever helps you attain a balanced diet.

idunk42

King Kong
Awards
  • Established
Both are excellent sources of healthy fats but what is the advantage to using flax oil over extra virgin olive oil?
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T043800.asp#T043803

just a break down of the different oils

"1. Flaxseed
COMMENTS
Best source of omega 3 fatty acids; has heart- healthy properties; is a colon-friendly oil; lessens constipation; boosts immunity; promotes healthy skin; contains the healthy phytonutrient, lignin; spoils quickly without careful storage; not to be used in cooking"

"4. Olive oil (virgin or extra virgin)
Doesn't need high temperature or chemical processing, since it is made from the flesh of the olive and not the seed; slow to spoil; okay for medium-temperature cooking; in moderation lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol without affecting HDL, (good) cholesterol thereby improving the HDL-to-LDL ratio."

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I go with flax due to the better Omega 3 profile.
;)

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I've been using EVOO due to orals I was using. If all is good when I get bloodwork, I'll go back to flax.

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
looks like flax is more for our purposes while evoo is an OK substitute but not quite as good. i was just looking for a cheaper alternative basically. evoo is about 1/3 of the price.

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
Have you ever tried Flora Udo's Oil? It has a 2:1 ratio of Omega 3 - 6's. Great stuff

Lanceromance

Awards
I actually only use Fish oil as the latest data shows that only 9% of the Omega-3 consumed in Flax converts properly in the liver. I'm using Carlson's Fish oil which has the highest yield of omega-3 and actually doesn't have a fishy taste!

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I can pick up bottles of hemp oil pretty cheap in the UK, good balance of 3, 6, and 9.

Be care with 'too much' fish oil, excessive amounts can lead to overdoses of fat soluble vits and problems with blood coagulation.

reidhoch

Awards
Be care with 'too much' fish oil, excessive amounts can lead to overdoses of fat soluble vits and problems with blood coagulation.
I've heard of overdoses of fat soluble vitamins, but I have never heard anything about problems with blood coagulation can you please elaborate.

200wannabe

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Riedhoch - My girlfriend has the blood condition Factor V Laden, basically her blood clots to readily and she needs to take warfarin (coumadin) to regulate her clotting. As a result she needs to be careful about eating certain things, to much vit k etc... a had a quick look on pubmed to give you something more solid. In addition there was a thread similar to this (comparing flax and fish oil i think) in which Bobo also mentioned this. He also mentioned the hemp oil, so when i saw it in the supermarket i picked some up.

Department of Human Biology, Nutrition and Toxicology Research and Cardiovascular Research Institutes of Maastricht, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

OBJECTIVE: The beneficial effect of dietary fish oil, rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), on cardiovascular disease is multifactorial and may partly rely on their anticoagulant action. We studied how fish oil intake influenced thrombin generation in plasma and which factors were involved herein. METHODS AND RESULTS: Twenty-five healthy males with borderline overweight received 3.0 g omega-3 PUFAs daily for 4 weeks. Fish oil intake reduced plasma triglycerides and lowered platelet integrin activation, as well as plasma levels of fibrinogen and factor V, but had no effect on vitamin K-dependent coagulation factors. Before fish oil intake, thrombin generation (reflecting the coagulant potential) considerably varied between plasmas from individual subjects, which were partly explained by variation in prothrombin, antithrombin, fibrinogen, and factor V levels. Fish oil intake reduced thrombin generation in the presence and absence of platelets. This reduction correlated with the fish oil effect on fibrinogen and factor V levels. Interestingly, the lowering effect of fish oil on thrombin generation and fibrinogen clustered around subjects with high fibrinogen carrying a structural fibrinogen alpha-chain polymorphism. CONCLUSIONS: Dietary omega-3 PUFAs provoke a hypocoagulant, vitamin K-independent effect in humans, the degree of which may depend on fibrinogen level. Intake of fish oil reduced fibrinogen and factor V levels as well as thrombin generation in plasma. The effects on thrombin generation and fibrinogen clustered around subjects with high fibrinogen carrying alpha-chain fibrinogen polymorphism. Thus, dietary fish oil can provoke a hypocoagulant effect depending on the fibrinogen level

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I actually use ~1:1 blend of the two for cooking or dressing. I couldn't decide either...