flax oil vs. EVOO - AnabolicMinds.com

flax oil vs. EVOO

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

Question flax oil vs. EVOO

Both are excellent sources of healthy fats but what is the advantage to using flax oil over extra virgin olive oil?

2. Senior Member

holy crap i really hate when that lady on the food network says evoo.. i just want to every time i see her

sorry this post was not anything regarding your question
  3. Board Supporter

Beelz, the only difference I know is the ratio of omega fats. I suppose you should use whichever helps you attain a balanced diet.
    •   

4. King Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub
    Both are excellent sources of healthy fats but what is the advantage to using flax oil over extra virgin olive oil?
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T043800.asp#T043803

just a break down of the different oils

"1. Flaxseed
    COMMENTS
    Best source of omega 3 fatty acids; has heart- healthy properties; is a colon-friendly oil; lessens constipation; boosts immunity; promotes healthy skin; contains the healthy phytonutrient, lignin; spoils quickly without careful storage; not to be used in cooking"

"4. Olive oil (virgin or extra virgin)
    Doesn't need high temperature or chemical processing, since it is made from the flesh of the olive and not the seed; slow to spoil; okay for medium-temperature cooking; in moderation lowers LDL (bad) cholesterol without affecting HDL, (good) cholesterol thereby improving the HDL-to-LDL ratio."
  5. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

I go with flax due to the better Omega 3 profile.
  6. Registered User

I've been using EVOO due to orals I was using. If all is good when I get bloodwork, I'll go back to flax.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

looks like flax is more for our purposes while evoo is an OK substitute but not quite as good. i was just looking for a cheaper alternative basically. evoo is about 1/3 of the price.
  8. New Member

Have you ever tried Flora Udo's Oil? It has a 2:1 ratio of Omega 3 - 6's. Great stuff
  9. New Member

I actually only use Fish oil as the latest data shows that only 9% of the Omega-3 consumed in Flax converts properly in the liver. I'm using Carlson's Fish oil which has the highest yield of omega-3 and actually doesn't have a fishy taste!
  10. Board Supporter

I can pick up bottles of hemp oil pretty cheap in the UK, good balance of 3, 6, and 9.

Be care with 'too much' fish oil, excessive amounts can lead to overdoses of fat soluble vits and problems with blood coagulation.
  11. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by 200wannabe
    Be care with 'too much' fish oil, excessive amounts can lead to overdoses of fat soluble vits and problems with blood coagulation.
    I've heard of overdoses of fat soluble vitamins, but I have never heard anything about problems with blood coagulation can you please elaborate.
  12. Board Supporter

Riedhoch - My girlfriend has the blood condition Factor V Laden, basically her blood clots to readily and she needs to take warfarin (coumadin) to regulate her clotting. As a result she needs to be careful about eating certain things, to much vit k etc... a had a quick look on pubmed to give you something more solid. In addition there was a thread similar to this (comparing flax and fish oil i think) in which Bobo also mentioned this. He also mentioned the hemp oil, so when i saw it in the supermarket i picked some up.

Department of Human Biology, Nutrition and Toxicology Research and Cardiovascular Research Institutes of Maastricht, Maastricht University, Maastricht, The Netherlands.

OBJECTIVE: The beneficial effect of dietary fish oil, rich in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), on cardiovascular disease is multifactorial and may partly rely on their anticoagulant action. We studied how fish oil intake influenced thrombin generation in plasma and which factors were involved herein. METHODS AND RESULTS: Twenty-five healthy males with borderline overweight received 3.0 g omega-3 PUFAs daily for 4 weeks. Fish oil intake reduced plasma triglycerides and lowered platelet integrin activation, as well as plasma levels of fibrinogen and factor V, but had no effect on vitamin K-dependent coagulation factors. Before fish oil intake, thrombin generation (reflecting the coagulant potential) considerably varied between plasmas from individual subjects, which were partly explained by variation in prothrombin, antithrombin, fibrinogen, and factor V levels. Fish oil intake reduced thrombin generation in the presence and absence of platelets. This reduction correlated with the fish oil effect on fibrinogen and factor V levels. Interestingly, the lowering effect of fish oil on thrombin generation and fibrinogen clustered around subjects with high fibrinogen carrying a structural fibrinogen alpha-chain polymorphism. CONCLUSIONS: Dietary omega-3 PUFAs provoke a hypocoagulant, vitamin K-independent effect in humans, the degree of which may depend on fibrinogen level. Intake of fish oil reduced fibrinogen and factor V levels as well as thrombin generation in plasma. The effects on thrombin generation and fibrinogen clustered around subjects with high fibrinogen carrying alpha-chain fibrinogen polymorphism. Thus, dietary fish oil can provoke a hypocoagulant effect depending on the fibrinogen level
  13. Board Supporter

Some other threads on similar topics
    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...x+fishoil+hemp

This one is where bobo talks about Fish Vs Flax, good info:

EFA supplementation
  14. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 200wannabe
    Some other threads on similar topics

This one is where bobo talks about Fish Vs Flax, good info:

EFA supplementation
    thanks for those links brutha. points to ya.
  15. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

I actually use ~1:1 blend of the two for cooking or dressing. I couldn't decide either...

Similar Forum Threads

1. Flax Seed Oil vs Fish Oil.....(Again???)
    By specmike in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-12-2012, 07:22 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 10:59 PM
  3. Flax oil?
    By muscles4life in forum Supplements
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 04:39 PM
  4. Flax oil for hella cheap! Check this out!
    By LakeMountD in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-27-2003, 07:44 AM
  5. Flax oil info
    By hamper19 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-29-2002, 05:39 PM