egg beaters!

DobermanXXL

Awards
I just started eating these... what a great invention!

just pour some in a dish, microwave 60 seconds, eat.

i eat them on bagels, mix it with rice... its fast and you can buy the kind that are 100% egg whites. they also have some mixed with onions and bell peppers.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yeah - the Southwest ones.
:woohoo: :food:

I'll drink those when I'm on the go.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
been eating them the past 7 months and am having massive torubling finshing them now. Need to take a break from the things

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
Yeah - the Southwest ones.
:woohoo: :food:

I'll drink those when I'm on the go.
Yeah those rock! My grocery store just started carrying the larger cartons (30oz.) of the southwest mix :dance:

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
I'm too cheap to buy them :whiner: But I may have to splurge ;p

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My wife switched to them when she saw the amount of yolks I was throwing away. They cook much cleaner too, especially in the microwave.

I need to find another lean protein source as an alternative for breakfast though. Eating the hell out of egg whites lately.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
My wife switched to them when she saw the amount of yolks I was throwing away. They cook much cleaner too, especially in the microwave.

I need to find another lean protein source as an alternative for breakfast though. Eating the hell out of egg whites lately.
I know how you feel. For whatever reason the shells I was putting down the garbage disposal weren't flushing all the way out of my plumbing. About three months back I had a drain clog... b-a-d. The pipe under my sink was FULL of egg shells. Talk about stinking. Now I throw them out the window in the kitchen-took the screen out-and my back yard is littered w/ egg shells. Oh well I'm sure some animal can find use for them.

edelweiss

Awards
been eating them the past 7 months and am having massive torubling finshing them now. Need to take a break from the things
I got to the point where I couldn't eat egg whites either. But now I have eggs again everyday. Takes a little extra time/work but it is worth it. Chop up 2 slices turkey ham, 1/4 of an onion, a big handful of spinach, some bell pepper if you want, then saute (sp?) it, place it on a side plate, scramble up one whole egg and one cup egg whites/beaters then add the other stuff when it is almost done. Tastes awesome and has a great macro profile (around 40/10/10).

Brent

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Since I am poor, the only time I get egg beaters is when I go to Denny's.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I like the cartons for when I'm on the go or out somewhere and for some god forsaken reason don't have any food. Just pop into a grocery store, grap a carton, have it downed by the time I get to the register to pay for it. Beyond the occasional use however, regular eggs are just too dam cheap and easy to ignore. Besides, a certain amount of yolk is very good for you.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Seriously - try the Southwest Egg Beaters. I'm able to eat them daily, and I can't do that with regular.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seriously - try the Southwest Egg Beaters. I'm able to eat them daily, and I can't do that with regular.
I totally agree the southwest kick @SS....the three cheese chive ain't so bad either.

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Okay I'm obviously new to the Egg Beater scene, but you can drink them straight from the carton?

How does that taste?

revodrew

revodrew

Awards
  • Established
I enjoy a normal egg over those any day of the week. Cheaper to!

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established

This isnt a complete alternative as it still uses eggs but sometimes I like to make omelettes for breakfast. Use a few eggs, a little cheese and I toss in some diced up meat (usually chicken or beef). tastes great

UHCougar05

UHCougar05

Awards
  • Established
I love egg whites. I mix in 1-2 whole eggs with 4-5 egg whites and have scrambled eggs. If I'm in a hurry, I throw them into my protein shake and down them, it actually makes the protein shake a bit creamier and more filling. Good stuff. :food: Then again if I eat too many... :gas: and I get this:fart:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Yes, you can drink Egg Beaters straight out of the carton.

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
Yes, you can drink Egg Beaters straight out of the carton.
I just read an article about how only half of the protein in eggs gets absorbed if you eat them raw. It has something to do with a compound that gets destroyed when its heated.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
These are egg whites - that have been processed...

Maybe that compound is gone? :think:

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
Id be curious to know the answer to this.

Heres the article I was talking about:
http://bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan28.htm

and here is the part about eggs:

"Some older athletic diets use to propose eating just raw eggs. This is a foolish attempt at taking in additional protein. Eating raw eggs (or raw egg whites) will only result in about 50% absorption of the available protein. That means that if you eat enough raw eggs to give you 40 grams of protein, your body will only absorb 20 grams.

Eating just raw egg whites results in the same (or worse). Egg whites have a huge amount of a substance called "avidin," which loves biotin. As a matter of fact, once the avidin-biotin forms a bond, the body can't break it apart. So you will develop a partial or full Biotin Deficiency Syndrome. Cooking your eggs (or egg whites) will quickly denature the protein avidin and will allow you to absorb 98% of the protein. In short, always cook your eggs."

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
So take a biotin supplement???

I have to imagine that Egg Beaters cooks these becuase you are able to eat them straight from the carton.

BigMattTx

BigMattTx

Awards
  • Established
probably but i know that i personally used to use egg whites in my shakes when i was on a bulk. this is good info and if anyone knows the absolute answer to this question, please let us know

Gdawg

Awards
As long as the eggs have been pasturized, all of the protein from uncooked eggs can be digested.

Viperspit

Viperspit

Awards
  • Established
I have a fridge rack full of liquid egg whites and beaters :) The southwestern beaters are the best by far. put some salsa over them and you're good to go :)

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
I might have to try these southwestern egg beaters, they sound delicious :)

I've been using Egg Starters which I pick up from Costco.

Rhyalus

Rhyalus

Awards
  • Established
I might have to try these southwestern egg beaters, they sound delicious :)

I've been using Egg Starters which I pick up from Costco.
FYI, I have tried egg beaters and egg starters side by side. We have a BJs and a Costco nearby and they each carry a different brand.

The Egg Beaters are a superior product, IMHO. The texture and taste is much closer to real eggs.

Regards,
R

Gdawg

Awards
FYI, I have tried egg beaters and egg starters side by side. We have a BJs and a Costco nearby and they each carry a different brand.

The Egg Beaters are a superior product, IMHO. The texture and taste is much closer to real eggs.

Regards,
R
I've noticed the same exact thing with Egg Beaters compared to any grocery store's cheaper knockoffs. The egg beaters texture is always more like real eggs than the others; it's worth paying a little more for egg beaters than buying the cheap ones, IMO.

serene00

Awards
I personally find them too expensive. I def. wouldn't want to just pour them in a shake and drink.. Yuck.. But if you can swing the cost of them then they can be advantageous. I prefer paying 1.68 for 2 dozen eggs myself..

serene00

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think drinking Egg beaters is safe but if its not please post it

anyone ever find out for sure if when drinking egg beaters , is your body absorping all of the protein?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I think drinking Egg beaters is safe but if its not please post it

anyone ever find out for sure if when drinking egg beaters , is your body absorping all of the protein?

Drinking egg beaters is fine. Drinking raw eggs is also fine (very, very miniscule risk of sickness). There is an issue with eating large quantaties of raw whites as the avadin will bind to biotin causing a deficiancy. Cooking/pasteurizing will disable the avadin. Supplementing with biotin or simply adding a ratio of yolks, as egg yolks are one of the best sources of biotin is another strategy. So maybe 1 whole egg and 5 add'l whites. That will give you roughly 21g protein and 6g healthy fats.

AnonyMoose

AnonyMoose

Awards
  • Established
I've noticed the same exact thing with Egg Beaters compared to any grocery store's cheaper knockoffs. The egg beaters texture is always more like real eggs than the others; it's worth paying a little more for egg beaters than buying the cheap ones, IMO.
you can also get real good organic egg whites at the organic grocery.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ive been drinking the egg whites. It doesnt say anything about drinking them raw good or bad on the label. It does say there pasturized on them but is pasturized safe.I had some serious squirts today possibly due to the egg carton. does anyone else expirence stomach issues about twelve hours after drinking egg whites? The cause could be anything but recently My stomach has discomforted frm what it seems egg white use.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
These things have a ton of sodium in them.