Orange Juice + Whey Post Workout

reidhoch

Awards
Does any one here use orange juice + whey post workout? I searched but didn't see any mention of it.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
You could but it's just a lot of sugar and through research it's been shown that complex carbs are better for post workout carbs. Plus whey and orange juice does not sound like a good combo

Ohmy83

Awards
a quick question....u think complex carbs are better than a sugar in your pwo???

i always thought u wanted a lot of sugar so it hit the muscles faster...then go with a complex carbs w/ your 1st meal after pwo

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
This is another common misconception that replenishment that is fueled by High GI sugars is optimal for post cycle nutrition. As a matter of fact, this thought is more old school than anything and since then BBers have learned that included a lower GI source of carbs in their post workout nutrition will not hurt gains but only help. Problem with high GI sources like dextrose is that it lacks in macronutritional value.

Ohmy83

Awards
thanks for clearing that up.....but the higher GI carbs(choc. milk, OJ, banana's).....won't hinder gains though am i correct???? only possible be not as optimal as the lower GI

why do the lower GI carbs seem to have a better effect then the higher gi w/ some macro value such as 1% choc. milk mixed with some whey....???

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Well...hinder gains? In the long run? Probably not. But consider the macronutrional value of water you're eating - this will play an important role in long term success. Also, Skim Milk is great during post-workout but you really want to stick to good carbs and not fructose, etc.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Essentially, low gi carbs keep glycogen levels far more stable and take longer to completely absorb and digest. With simple carbs you get a quick absorption then a brief spike in glycogen and a correlative spike in insulin. Both levels drop very quickly..a sugar crash more or less. Since worked muscle is replenishing itself..any carbs are good, however the muscles can only absorb so much glycogen at one time. If your muscles are stocked up then any leftover glycogen is then absorbed by fat cells.

Slow feed the muscle and it will have more chance of it using the glycogen before your fat cells do.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Essentially, low gi carbs keep glycogen levels far more stable and take longer to completely absorb and digest. With simple carbs you get a quick absorption then a brief spike in glycogen and a correlative spike in insulin. Both levels drop very quickly..a sugar crash more or less. Since worked muscle is replenishing itself..any carbs are good, however the muscles can only absorb so much glycogen at one time. If your muscles are stocked up then any leftover glycogen is then absorbed by fat cells.

Slow feed the muscle and it will have more chance of it using the glycogen before your fat cells do.
Great post.

DobermanXXL

Awards

That's why I eat a meal with high protein and low GI carbs about 30-45 minutes after my protein shake (whey and sugar)

In my opinion, the difference is probably extremely minute, and I bet if you changed from one method to the other, your physique would remain unchanged.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Good to see Rage, Bio, and Dob are burning the midnight candle!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Bio already touched on this, but with high GI carbs, the likelihood of fat accumulation is greater, but this is just one reason not to use OJ post-workout:
1. Fructose is great for replenishing liver glycogen, but not very effective at replenishing muscle glycogen (I think I got that from Lyle MacDonald)
2. Vitamin C post-workout may actually increase the inflammatory response post-workout :http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/44638-nac-vit-c-post-exercise-bad.html

BTW, OJ with Vanilla Whey is very tasty :D

I used to drink it every morning when bulking. I did get fat, though it wasn't necessarily the OJ.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Incidently, I remember reading that vitamin C inhibited fat burning during a work-out. So, it's best not to take it before.

And, sounds like best not to take it after either...

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Depending on the nature of your protein and the quality, taking a it directly with a fairly acidic juice could be hurting you, more than helping. If the Whey is of low quality the acidity of orange juice can denature the protein. It is probably not a huge deal, but i have always stuck with apple or white grape for a carb source(as far as juice is concerned).

Also, instead of buying dextrose or just putting table sugar into your whey, i have found that mixing lemon-lime gatorade mix with chocolate whey tastes pretty darn good.

I am an endo so i never use many HI Glycemic carbs, the only time i use it is at the end of a hard workout where i have gone to failure. Even then i only use about half of my Carb allowance for that meal with the gatorade mix, and the other half comes from blended oats in my shake.

Socrates44

Socrates44

Awards
  • Established
Incidently, I remember reading that vitamin C inhibited fat burning during a work-out. So, it's best not to take it before.

And, sounds like best not to take it after either...

Are you referring to the Ascorbic Acid acting a "protecting group" on necesarry fats and proteins?

NiteHawk

Awards
I usually take my whey with some Orange Gatorade postworkout. Any better combos than that you know of?

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
SocratesJohnson (that's a movie reference....),
I totally forget. I went to bed right after that post - like 7am - and just woke up.
I'm all f*cked up now....

I'd have look to see what I could find about vitamin C and fat. I think I read it in the research section of Muscular Development.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
orange juice + vanilla whey!!! mmmm...its like an orange creamsicle. like the first post though, its a lot of sugar. if you use any juice at all, apple juice would be best.