Fat at night

1. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.45%

Fat at night

Ok, in the past I have read that fat with the last meal will help the protein digest slower, thus extending the period of breakdown during your 8 hours of sleep and help anabolism. I was reading some stuff over at IntenseMuscle and people were saying things along the lines of "fat at night will make you fat" etc and I'm wondering if anyone abides by this. I always have taken healthy fats at nights for the reasons listed above at never saw it to be a problem. I know carbs should be cutoff after a certain time, but this fat cutoff is news to me. Does anyone have anything to offer?

sidenote: My nutritional knowledge is acquired from Berardi and a few others I have read on various forums and in different publications, but the IntenseMuscle forum is the first that has posted the opposite of their findings.

2. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.76%

Quote Originally Posted by ktw
    Ok, in the past I have read that fat with the last meal will help the protein digest slower, thus extending the period of breakdown during your 8 hours of sleep and help anabolism. I was reading some stuff over at IntenseMuscle and people were saying things along the lines of "fat at night will make you fat" etc and I'm wondering if anyone abides by this. I always have taken healthy fats at nights for the reasons listed above at never saw it to be a problem. I know carbs should be cutoff after a certain time, but this fat cutoff is news to me. Does anyone have anything to offer?

sidenote: My nutritional knowledge is acquired from Berardi and a few others I have read on various forums and in different publications, but the IntenseMuscle forum is the first that has posted the opposite of their findings.
    The boys at Intensemuscle are full of ****..Some healthy fats and protein at night are perfect..Some guys can even get away with consuming carbs late at night. I can't. It's all about calories in and calories out. Too many calories coming in, and yeah you'll put on bodyfat.
  3. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.45%

Yah thanks for confirming that, that is always what I have thought, that macro totals are probably more important as long as you are smart about things
    •   

4. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.54%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Eating Healthy fats at night will not cause an increase in storage of fat. Having something like Natty PB before bed is liked by many, heck, I do it all the time. Also, it is a common misconception that the digestion of fats inversely affects the digestion rate of whey. IF you're looking for a slow-digesting protein you're better off with a better suited source of protein like cottage cheese.
  5. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    26.1%

Quote Originally Posted by scott72
    The boys at Intensemuscle are full of ****..Some healthy fats and protein at night are perfect..Some guys can even get away with consuming carbs late at night. I can't. It's all about calories in and calories out. Too many calories coming in, and yeah you'll put on bodyfat.

Bump. I beleive also that it all boils down to calories in and calories out for the day(caloric intake). I been reading many posts where diets have included healthy fats at night and guys have great success. PErsonally, I do the same thing and haven't seen a problem yet. You know your body better than anyone else. Experiment and see what happens.
  6. Professional Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    46.85%

Quote Originally Posted by Rage (SoCal)
    Eating Healthy fats at night will not cause an increase in storage of fat. Having something like Natty PB before bed is liked by many, heck, I do it all the time. Also, it is a common misconception that the digestion of fats inversely affects the digestion rate of whey. IF you're looking for a slow-digesting protein you're better off with a better suited source of protein like cottage cheese.
    Good advice here, although fats do slow down the digestive enzymes your better off with a casein or micellar type protein.
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.45%

Ya, I thought what everyone here stated, thank you for confirming my previous thoughts on the subject. Typically my fat at night comes from flax oil, so I know it is healthy. I also consume cottage cheese before bed, lots of it, so I have that angle covered too.

The reason I posted this is because I know people on this board who take training advice from those guys, so I was wondering if either they had revolutionary ideas about dieting or training or if it was just b/s (at least the diet aspect)
  8. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.5%

Saturated fats slow digestion. Oils will just rise to the surface of the chyme and do nothing to slow digestion of the protein.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  9. rollin' on dubs!
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.83%

Quote Originally Posted by bpmartyr
    Saturated fats slow digestion. Oils will just rise to the surface of the chyme and do nothing to slow digestion of the protein.
    sounds familiar, i think i remember hearing bobo state this. nonetheless, good info. a little bit of carbs before bedtime isnt that bad of a thing IMO. wouldnt something like an apple or fibrous whole grain keep you anabolic longer throughout the night? apples are very low glycemic with fiber so i would think it would help spare protein during the overnight fast. ive been doing this for a while without any problems. i would think as long as glycogen stores arent already full, it wouldnt be a problem. anyone think this is a terrible idea?
  10. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    60.45%

No, I don't think that is a bad idea, I used to do something like that, I used broccoli and a small amount of black beans, I'm just experimenting with something different
  11. Snuggle Club™ mascot
    Stats
    5'9"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.5%

I always eat carbs, fat and protein before bed. Just like every other meal. Then I wake up in the middle of the night and eat again. But thats just me.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html
  12. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.11%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeHulk
    sounds familiar, i think i remember hearing bobo state this. nonetheless, good info. a little bit of carbs before bedtime isnt that bad of a thing IMO. wouldnt something like an apple or fibrous whole grain keep you anabolic longer throughout the night? apples are very low glycemic with fiber so i would think it would help spare protein during the overnight fast. ive been doing this for a while without any problems. i would think as long as glycogen stores arent already full, it wouldnt be a problem. anyone think this is a terrible idea?
    I do this, except I split the apple, core it, and put a tbsp of Natty PB in the middle of that mah with a can of tuna right before bed.
  13. rollin' on dubs!
    Stats
    5'9"  178 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.83%

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    I do this, except I split the apple, core it, and put a tbsp of Natty PB in the middle of that mah with a can of tuna right before bed.
    that starngely sounds delicious!!! might have to give it a go
  14. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.11%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Yeah..lol..Don't mix the tuna with the rest of it, that could be strangely and dehabilitatingly disgusting..But yeah, the apple/pb is the most nutritionally delicious quick-fix snack ever..I feel like I'm cheating everytime I eat it..
  15. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.02%

Apple w/natty PB is my #1 cheat meal. I call it a cheat b/c I always end up eating 3-4 of them
  16. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.01%

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    Apple w/natty PB is my #1 cheat meal. I call it a cheat b/c I always end up eating 3-4 of them

That's my pre-workout meal. Whoever thought of an apple + peanutbutter is genius

I usually eat cottage cheese + peanutbuter before bed, or yougurt + peanutbutter. It's all good!
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  222 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    9.92%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Viperspit
    That's my pre-workout meal. Whoever thought of an apple + peanutbutter is genius

I usually eat cottage cheese + peanutbuter before bed, or yougurt + peanutbutter. It's all good!
    You dont wan't the fats anywhere near your workout, there are threads about it by Bobo all over this place.

Intensemuscle people aren't full of ****, they just don't believe in adding in extra fats into your last meal. The fats you consume from peanut butter, nuts, eggs, meat are all fine and are a welcome addition to your bedtime meal.
  18. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.76%

Quote Originally Posted by BOHICA
    Intensemuscle people aren't full of ****, they just don't believe in adding in extra fats into your last meal. The fats you consume from peanut butter, nuts, eggs, meat are all fine and are a welcome addition to your bedtime meal.
    I believe he stated they said fats before bed make you fat. That's what I disagree with. It's simply not true.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Fat at night?
    By bla55 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 09:15 PM
  2. sat fats at night?
    By LakeMountD in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 06:33 PM
  3. Methyl 1-test in morning or at night?
    By LIFTER23 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 06:56 PM
  4. Taking M-1-T at night
    By drei in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-06-2003, 08:22 PM