Fighing Exercises/Diet

  1. New Member
    Mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    53.14%

    Fighing Exercises/Diet


    Hey.
    I'm starting an underground fighting league and some people in my school are participating, I am in pretty good shape and eat okay but I would like to see any previously used exercise routines and diets that some of you have used before when training for a fight, martial arts, wrestling or anything else.
    I am 15.
    5'11.
    Fluxuating between 173-176 and I need to be 161-180 lbs to compete at my weight class.
    Thanks.

  2. Registered User
    OCCFan023's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,789
    Rep Power
    2002
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    48.53%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    dont kill yourself.

    I would go to www.ufc.tv and check out some of the top fighters and go to their websites. Most of them will discuss nutrition and such. I know matt hughes does


    o yea dont kill your self
  3. New Member
    novamanms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    40
    Rep Power
    131
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    7.6%

    si
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    Mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    53.14%

    Finally a response.. I'll look but I don't think you know what I meant.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason
    Hey.
    I'm starting an underground fighting league and some people in my school are participating, I am in pretty good shape and eat okay but I would like to see any previously used exercise routines and diets that some of you have used before when training for a fight, martial arts, wrestling or anything else.
    I am 15.
    5'11.
    Fluxuating between 173-176 and I need to be 161-180 lbs to compete at my weight class.
    Thanks.
    What part do you feel you need the most work on?
  6. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Achilles13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    471
    Level
    21
    Lv. Percent
    26.58%

    Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023
    dont kill yourself.

    I would go to www.ufc.tv and check out some of the top fighters and go to their websites. Most of them will discuss nutrition and such. I know matt hughes does


    o yea dont kill your self


    Same thing I would say. Probably be safer to just train, get bigger, and try to get on UFC.
  7. New Member
    Mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    53.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023
    dont kill yourself.

    I would go to www.ufc.tv and check out some of the top fighters and go to their websites. Most of them will discuss nutrition and such. I know matt hughes does


    o yea dont kill your self
    I won't. =)
    Okay.
    I won't. Haha.

    Quote Originally Posted by Achilles13
    Same thing I would say. Probably be safer to just train, get bigger, and try to get on UFC.
    Ok
    Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    What part do you feel you need the most work on?
    Anything..I'd do anything to fight in the ufc. I feel when I lift and run I do train hard but there is specific things to improve your fighting skills, not directly fighting skills but things to increase your fast muscle twitch, speed, balance, accuracy..I also would like a clean diet. I mean one from somebody who knows what they're talking about. I've asked for a diet before and people just think I should make it myself..I don't want somebody to CREATE it for me; just give me one they've used before or seen.
  8. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    As far as the weights go, using push/pull split would probably be the best idea. Split up the body into 3-4 sessions and mix in heavy sets with dynamic sets to help both strength and power.
    Stand-up is about practice and repetition; work on punching and make sure not to neglect kicks, knees, and elbows. Try to find some old Bas Rutten vids on striking combinations and defenses. Rolling is probably the most draining aspect of training so do this atleast 2x per week. I also suggest to work on flexibility for atleast an hour every week. I cannot tell you how many times that my flexibility has helped me get out of side-mount or throw a head-kick.

    For straight cardio, mix in distance training and sprinting. This mix will help to somewhat simulate the up and down pace of a fight.

    On the diet side, you must realize that carbs are the most important macronutrient for MMA training. Emphasize whole-grains, fruits, and stay away from processed sugar. I am not saying to neglect protein, but without adequate carbs, your cardio and performance will suffer.
    To train properly, there will be several days that you train twice a day so do not be skimpy on the food.
  9. New Member
    Mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    53.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    As far as the weights go, using push/pull split would probably be the best idea. Split up the body into 3-4 sessions and mix in heavy sets with dynamic sets to help both strength and power.
    Stand-up is about practice and repetition; work on punching and make sure not to neglect kicks, knees, and elbows. Try to find some old Bas Rutten vids on striking combinations and defenses. Rolling is probably the most draining aspect of training so do this atleast 2x per week. I also suggest to work on flexibility for atleast an hour every week. I cannot tell you how many times that my flexibility has helped me get out of side-mount or throw a head-kick.

    For straight cardio, mix in distance training and sprinting. This mix will help to somewhat simulate the up and down pace of a fight.

    On the diet side, you must realize that carbs are the most important macronutrient for MMA training. Emphasize whole-grains, fruits, and stay away from processed sugar. I am not saying to neglect protein, but without adequate carbs, your cardio and performance will suffer.
    To train properly, there will be several days that you train twice a day so do not be skimpy on the food.
    Wow, thanks.
    Do you fight? Seems like you know alot.
  10. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason
    Wow, thanks.
    Do you fight? Seems like you know alot.
    Been training seriously for about 6 months, but wont even consider fighting until I am done with college. I am a personal trainer and I was fortunate enough to train someone who fought MMA and he taught me for a while. Right now I am rolling with some former wrestlers and sparring with an amateur boxer. I just incorpated some basic techniques to optimize aerobic and anaerobic endurance. Strength helps, but technique, conditioning, and, most importantly, heart matter the most.
  11. New Member
    Mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    53.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Been training seriously for about 6 months, but wont even consider fighting until I am done with college. I am a personal trainer and I was fortunate enough to train someone who fought MMA and he taught me for a while. Right now I am rolling with some former wrestlers and sparring with an amateur boxer. I just incorpated some basic techniques to optimize aerobic and anaerobic endurance. Strength helps, but technique, conditioning, and, most importantly, heart matter the most.
    That is awesome.
    Hope you get to fight at the level you want to, maybe I'll get to see you on T.v. =)
  12. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason
    That is awesome.
    Hope you get to fight at the level you want to, maybe I'll get to see you on T.v. =)
    Right now I am i the process of slimming down to try to get into the 170 weight class. Thanks for the encouragement; train hard, but train smart. There is nothing worse than an injury.
  13. New Member
    Mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    53.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Right now I am i the process of slimming down to try to get into the 170 weight class. Thanks for the encouragement; train hard, but train smart. There is nothing worse than an injury.
    That's cool, where do you live?
  14. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason
    That's cool, where do you live?
    Outside of Austin, TX.
  15. New Member
    Mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    53.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Outside of Austin, TX.
    Oh, you got any videos of you sparring or training?
  16. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason
    Oh, you got any videos of you sparring or training?
    Not quite yet. I am in the process of getting a camera.
  17. New Member
    Mason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    173
    Rep Power
    194
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    53.14%

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Not quite yet. I am in the process of getting a camera.
    Alright.
  18. Registered User
    OCCFan023's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,789
    Rep Power
    2002
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    48.53%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I dont know how long your still in college for but have you ever seen the shot The Ultimate Fighter? I had been watching UFC for a while once I started watching that show it really spurred me to take up MMA, but being only 17 all I can do is hope now.

    Would you even consider trying to get on that show or would you rather just keep your coach and go in on your own rather than TUF?
  19. Diamond Member
    Jayhawkk's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Age
    39
    Posts
    12,790
    Rep Power
    11682
    Level
    67
    Lv. Percent
    47.81%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

    Careful with those underground fighting deals especially if you're under 18. People are getting busted for those things even if they're willing participants...Either way, don't kill yourself and good luck
  20. Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,709
    Rep Power
    1317315
    Level
    94
    Lv. Percent
    27.98%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by OCCFan023
    I dont know how long your still in college for but have you ever seen the shot The Ultimate Fighter? I had been watching UFC for a while once I started watching that show it really spurred me to take up MMA, but being only 17 all I can do is hope now.

    Would you even consider trying to get on that show or would you rather just keep your coach and go in on your own rather than TUF?
    No I would not consider going on TUF on the basis that most of the fighters from that show have a stigma attached to them. I only have about a year of college left, but i want to train for that entire year before going into an MMA fight.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 04:01 PM
  2. Exercise vs Diet vs Both
    By TheCrownedOne in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-08-2005, 03:10 PM
  3. diet and exercise effects on chics period
    By hamper19 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 12:41 PM
  4. computer diet/exercise programs
    By RVEXLER in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-27-2003, 03:33 PM
  5. Anabolic Burst Cycling of Diet and Exercise
    By Lifeguard in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-14-2003, 01:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in