Potassium supplementation lowers blood pressure

Smoky

Banned
Awards
  • Established
BALTIMORE, MARYLAND. Researchers at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine have come out in favour of using supplementation with potassium in the treatment and prevention of hypertension (high blood pressure). A group of seven medical researchers reviewed 33 randomized, controlled supplementation trials involving over 2600 participants. They conclude that potassium supplementation is effective in lowering both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. The average observed decrease in hypertensive patients was 4.4 mm Hg and 2.5 mm Hg for systolic and diastolic pressure respectively. In people with normal blood pressure the observed decreases were 1.8 mm and 1.0 mm. The amount of elemental potassium used in the studies varied from 60 mmol (2.5 grams) to 120 mmol (5.0 grams) daily. Sixty mmol of potassium is equivalent to 4.5 grams of potassium chloride, 6 grams of potassium bicarbonate or 20 grams of potassium citrate. Oral potassium supplementation appeared to be well tolerated in all the studies examined. The researchers conclude that potassium supplementation "should be considered as part of recommendations for prevention and treatment of hypertension." Potassium supplementation is particularly important in people who are unable to reduce their intake of sodium.
Whelton, Paul K., et al. Effects of oral potassium on blood pressure. Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 277, May 28, 1997, pp. 1624-32

enzo1

Awards
The only problem with the K supplementation is you run the risk of cardiac dysrthmias if you don't monitor your lab values closely. High or low K can have a different reaction to the t wave on an ekg, if you happen to have an abnormal beat on the t-wave all sorts of bad things can happen. I would use the natural food products for supplementation and forgo any actual products containing K in large amounts like discussed above.

evs

Awards
how many bananas would i have to eat a day to lower my bp, im running a SD cycle as we speak, day 8...thnx