Let me know what ya think of my diet...

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Hey, I just wanted to post my diet and get some thoughts from the exprienced lifters on this board. I feel like I just kinda bounce around between 190-200 lbs all time and the best shape I have ever been in was like 10%bf and 190-192. Right now I am at that weight but my bf is higher like 17%. Sucks but oh well. I will get back there. RIght now I am trying to slowly lean out for the summer but not be too drastic about it because i am still in season playing a college sport and I put my body through enough stress w/that and school. OK, right now I take in between 3300-3400 cals with a 40/40/20 breakdown. My food choice are usually come from these sources:
bananas
oatmeal
whey
milk
frozen blueberries
wheat bread
mixed nuts
turkey
eggs/whites
wheat wraps
flax/fish oil
wheat bagels
fat free cream cheese

and thats pretty much it. Each of my 6 meals has 57 grams of carbs and protein and 12-13 grams of fat. The only meals that I use poweders in are my breakfast (preworkout usually) and post workout or if I am really short on time and cant pack any food. Even though this is a nutrition thread I might as well add in I started training this style because while playing lacrosse it is easy to over train, and I feel with this little volume it could help me gain without having to worry about over training as much.
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/402685-post10.html

Now tear it apart:)

ktw

Awards
  • Established
If you want to get over 200, you're going to have to eat more. If I were to eat that amount, I would most likely lose weight, and I hover at 201 to 204 depending on the day and what time I weigh myself at. For bulking I go no lower than 3500 a day and try to hit 3750 to 4000. I dunno I would go higher with the diet for a while and maintain that ratio and see what happens. I just read that you also play a sport, you probably need even more than what I reccomended between sports practice, competitions, lifting, and normal activity. I know a guy that played football for ASU a couple years back and he said during season he would eat at least 4500 cals a day to attempt to maintain weight. He walks around at a solid 225 and when he played he played at 230-235. He told me on average he would try to make 5k a day no matter what it took during the offseason with practice and more intense lifting. I dunno, my advice is to increase intake.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
If you want to get over 200, you're going to have to eat more. If I were to eat that amount, I would most likely lose weight, and I hover at 201 to 204 depending on the day and what time I weigh myself at. For bulking I go no lower than 3500 a day and try to hit 3750 to 4000. I dunno I would go higher with the diet for a while and maintain that ratio and see what happens. I just read that you also play a sport, you probably need even more than what I reccomended between sports practice, competitions, lifting, and normal activity. I know a guy that played football for ASU a couple years back and he said during season he would eat at least 4500 cals a day to attempt to maintain weight. He walks around at a solid 225 and when he played he played at 230-235. He told me on average he would try to make 5k a day no matter what it took during the offseason with practice and more intense lifting. I dunno, my advice is to increase intake.
YOu think I need more even if I want to Recomp?

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Well it depends on your total activity level and how much you are training for sport right now. Have you figured out your BMR yet? Doing so will give you a rough idea of how much you should be consuming based on your expenditure. Figure that out, I'm sure you'll be surprised that you need a lot more cals than you're eating, at 201 I need close to 3k and all I do is lift and do light cardio multpile times a week. You're doing a lot more intensive training than myself so you might need more. Bottom line: Figure out your BMR and then from there try carb cycling. Prioritize your training days into High, medium and low days, and apply accordingly. With the amount of work you are doing it is important not to dip into catabolism.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I think your plan looks good. Just make sure and track your intake and adjust accordingly based on results. If you are not losing the fat you want, either drop cals by a small amount or up your activity. If you are losing too fast and sacrificing LBM up your cals. Same goes for bulking but in reverse, kinda. Increase cals if your not gaining and decrease some if you are gaining excessive fat. Everyone is different and while BMR calculators can be a good tool for getting you in the ballpark, they are not accurate to any measurable degree. Good luck bro!

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
I think your plan looks good. Just make sure and track your intake and adjust accordingly based on results. If you are not losing the fat you want, either drop cals by a small amount or up your activity. If you are losing too fast and sacrificing LBM up your cals. Same goes for bulking but in reverse, kinda. Increase cals if your not gaining and decrease some if you are gaining excessive fat. Everyone is different and while BMR calculators can be a good tool for getting you in the ballpark, they are not accurate to any measurable degree. Good luck bro!
Thats basically what I have done, I went from 193 to what I am now in like 2 wks, way to fast for my liking. So i bumped my cals up to 3400, weight slowed, and I will see in a week or two for the bf% is @. Right now I guess my goals would just be to lean out a little for the summer, and maybe to a very lean bulk (if thats possible) once I lean out enough.

Oh, and bye the way, thx for all your input guys!

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
can we get a specific breakdown of what each meal consists of?

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i actually meant like:

meal 1 .. list what you eat

meal 2 .. list what you eat

etc.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Meal 1
Fish Oil Capsule ( 4 serving ) 36 4 0 0
Flaxseed Oil ( 4 serving ) 36 4 0 0
Isopure (Low Carb) ( 1.4 serving ) 147 0 2 35
Oatmeal, cooked, instant, fat not added in cooking ( 0.75 cup, dry, yields ) 213 4 41 10
Fat Free Cottage Cheese ( 1 serving ) 80 0 5 13
Blueberries, frozen, unsweetened ( 0.5 cup ) 40 0 9 0

Meal 2
Sara Lee Wheat Bagels (Full Size) ( 2 serving ) 260 2 48 20
Philly Fat Free Cream Cheese ( 2 oz ) 52 0 2 9
Isopure (Low Carb) ( 1 serving ) 105 0 2 25
Planters Mixed Nuts ( 18 gram ) 109 10 3 4

Meal 3
Wheat Wraps (Sams Club) ( 1 serving ) 100 4 13 8
98% ff oven roasted turkey ( 7 serving ) 175 0 0 42
Oatmeal, cooked, instant, fat not added in cooking ( 0.66 cup, dry, yields ) 187 3 36 9
Fish Oil Capsule ( 3 serving ) 27 3 0 0
Flaxseed Oil ( 2 serving ) 18 2 0 0

meal 4
Sara Lee Wheat Bagels (Full Size) ( 1 serving ) 130 1 24 10
98% ff oven roasted turkey ( 5 serving ) 125 0 0 30
Oatmeal, cooked, instant, fat not added in cooking ( 0.5 cup, dry, yields ) 142 3 27 7
Blueberries, frozen, unsweetened ( 0.3 cup ) 24 0 6 0
Planters Mixed Nuts ( 15 gram ) 91 8 3 3
Amino Acid Pill ( 3 serving ) 30 0 0 6

meal 5
Oatmeal, cooked, instant, fat not added in cooking ( 0.66 cup, dry, yields ) 187 3 36 9
Wheat Wraps (Sams Club) ( 1 serving ) 100 4 13 8
98% ff oven roasted turkey ( 7 serving ) 175 0 0 42
Planters Mixed Nuts ( 16 gram ) 97 9 3 3

Meal 6
Sara Lee Wheat Bagels (Full Size) ( 2 serving ) 260 2 48 20
Philly Fat Free Cream Cheese ( 2 oz ) 52 0 2 9
Planters Mixed Nuts ( 20 gram ) 121 11 4 4
Amino Acid Pill ( 5 serving ) 50 0 0 10

Meal 7

Total 3408 kcal, 77g fat, 354g Carb, 362g Prot

Sorry I didnt do this before, I keep them in order on the fitday.com but I could see how you cant tell where each meal begins and stops, but there ya go, some variation on other days such as the foods I listed in my first post can switch in and out of there, but thats a pretty average day. Might cut back 100 cals or so on days I just practice though.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
oh and I try to avoid the amino acids pills, but sometimes I am in a rish and to fill in the gaps I use them sometimes, this day I happened to use them a little more than usual.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Personally I would lose the instant oatmeal. Use the regular rolled oats (not the quick oats) as they are low GI and don't contain processed sugars. I would also ditch the flax and substitute for olive oil as you are getting plenty omega 3's from the fish oil.

Also there is very little variety in your food choices. No veggies? There are phytonutrients/micronutrients your body requires as well as just being concerned with the big numbers.

Try and space your protein out throughout the day as well as reducing what you get from shakes. Eating 5 servings of turkey in one meal is not a great way to keep amino levels steady. If you can get roughly 40 grams protein per meal your end of day total will be about 280 which is about optimal.

IMHO :)

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
well it doesn't look bad at all .. is that instant oatmeal in meal 1? .. you'd be better off with real rolled oats as instant oats tend to have a fair amount of sugar .. i should also state i know how to eat for MY body .. i'm certainly no diet guru though

my question though .. what are your goals .. i can't really tell from what you've written (unless i missed something) if you want to bulk or cut?

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
right now slowly leaning out, not a full cut yet, but slowly leaning. This is new to me by the way, i am eating instant PLAIN oats, says there is no sugar, and the GI is still high for it? I had noooo idea

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Personally I would lose the instant oatmeal. Use the regular rolled oats (not the quick oats) as they are low GI and don't contain processed sugars. I would also ditch the flax and substitute for olive oil as you are getting plenty omega 3's from the fish oil.

Also there is very little variety in your food choices. No veggies? There are phytonutrients/micronutrients your body requires as well as just being concerned with the big numbers.

Try and space your protein out throughout the day as well as reducing what you get from shakes. Eating 5 servings of turkey in one meal is not a great way to keep amino levels steady. If you can get roughly 40 grams protein per meal your end of day total will be about 280 which is about optimal.

IMHO :)
I know i need more veggies, i get a lot of fruit but ur right more veggies, i am confused about what ou said about the protein, I am getting 57grams a meal spaced about 2-3 hrs apart, this isnt ok?

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Instant oats are high GI with or without sugar. Use rolled instead.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Instant oats are high GI with or without sugar. Use rolled instead.
Done...you think just eating them dry is ok...maybe with a little milk on them, it would be such a time saver if I didnt have to cook them all the time?

ktw

Awards
  • Established
My rolled oats take 5 minutes to cook. I'm not sure how that would taste, but you could try it.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I know i need more veggies, i get a lot of fruit but ur right more veggies, i am confused about what ou said about the protein, I am getting 57grams a meal spaced about 2-3 hrs apart, this isnt ok?
I misread your macros, my bad. Looks fine. I would just try and add a larger variety of foods is all.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
I misread your macros, my bad. Looks fine. I would just try and add a larger variety of foods is all.
Oh thats ok you were just trying to help me out, thx a lot for your input, i will try to add some more variety in there.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Ya variety cures the boredom too. I try to alternate chicken, eggs, buffalo, beef, salmon, turkey, cottage cheese etc. as sources just because it sucks eating ground beef and oats all day.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
just throw your entire first meal in a blender and add some water .. the rolled oats will blend up pretty well and the protein powder will give it a decent taste along with the fruit

ktw

Awards
  • Established
I can't blend that much ****. The most I can do is flax, whey and cottage cheese before bed.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys I have done some reading and I dont know if this is the right thing to do or not, but i am planning on changing up the ratio of the foods in my diet. I think for the first 5 meals i am going to have a 68g Carb, 57 g pro, 12-13 g of fat, and then for the meal right before bed try and keep carbs low as possible, and keep it at 57 g pro and 12-13 g of fat, what are your thoughts, should I try and keep carbs low b4 bed even if they are low GI, i have been having trouble trying to find info on this the past few days, so I apologize if I wasnt searching in the right area. Thx.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
I have not had a problem not eating carbs with my last meal, considering i satisfy my daily requirements right before.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Also dude, what are your macro totals for this new plan?

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
same as the last one, just changed the ratio around so the last meal doest have carbs in it.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
I dont remember it, is it on page 1? im honestly too lazy to check. I know right now my total macro level is 3700 and at 200ish im managing to slowly bulk, my split is probably like yours, but i eat the majority of my carbs in the morning and around workout, when they are most useful. I like it a lot better, but it probably doesn't matter.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
I am sitting around 3400, and I weight like 192, i think i am in more of a recomp diet then a true bulker, I am gonna weight a couple more wks, and if I am not seeing the results I want maybe I will move it up some.

ktw

Awards
  • Established
Ya that's how you have to do it, at 192 I think you should be at a good overall level, I wouldn't expect to lose a whole lot at that weight though because that is still quite a bit above your bmr.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
yah, i dunno about the losing fat though, I play college lacrosse at the moment and while that is going I burn quite a few cals.