Is John Bernardi Full of Sh*T??

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
Is the whole carb/fat separation garbage? Does anyone abide by it anymore? Esp. if it's clean cals? Nuts/peanut butter and granola or oats?

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
The thing with these theories is that you can rest assured most people don't seperate carbs/fats and still have great results. I think that people get soo short sided when it comes to these things. There is most definately more than one way to skin a cat.

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
perhaps the main idea is calories in and calories expended.

i know i liked food combining, which is really food separation. there are various systems, most of them do not combine starches and fruit carbs with animal protein. other systems go further and don't combine sub-acid and acidic fruits with sweet fruits. melons are usually alone. i have enjoyed food combining for about six years and have only recently broken that habit and included starches (mostly rice but also organic brown rice flour/buckwheat flour flat cakes) with my animal protein meals. i regard fat positively, especially the grass-fed red mammal fat. i see the fat as needing emulsification, it delays gastric emptying, prolonging digestive time. this can be good or bad. supposedly after a hard workout when you want the influx of carbs and aminos it is bad to delay gastric emptying.

do what works best for you. you are your own best laboratory and study.

on a related note: has anyone read how they have successfully spliced in a gene found in worms into hogs that makes them synthesize their own omega-3s? they were thinking of doing this to cattle a while back. since i don't eat pork i would prefer they do this in cattle, since i love red meat. i balked when i read in this newspaper article on the worms/hogs genetic engineering that the omega 3s are not naturally occurring in hog flesh. the media seems intent on misinforming the public.

www.eatwild.com

Beelzebub

Beelzebub

Awards
  • Established
i abide by it for the most part. it's kinda hard to completely separate them though. i surely don't believe it's BS.

Blown_SC

Blown_SC

Eh Hole Board Supporter
Awards
LOL!

No, it's not garbage, as you so eloquently put. It holds merit, and has helped me achieve numerous goals.

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
I believe it has its place, especially in post-workout nutrition. I mean I wouldn't go dumping olive oil in my oatmeal just for extra calories. Would rather just put it with a protein source.

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
ok..so like this meal...doable or not

1/4 cup granola
ff dry curd cottage cheese
20-30 almonds

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I don't think it's BS, maybe a little overhyped. He makes some good points but there are good counter arguments as well: If carbs and the related insulin are so good at supporting muscle why would you not eat some carbs (more than his recommended 10g) at every meal especially since the body repairs itself continuously?

I just divide my fat intake up over most of my meals now except for pre and/or post WO, keeping meal calories constant. Results for me are as good if not better.

As others have said though, do what works for you. Test drive different plans and see what your results are.

Proteinpowda

Awards
If you read more of his articles you'll find that he's not as black and white as he is in Massive Eating. Hell I was shocked when I purchased Gourmet Nutrition and found that he was combining fat+carbs quite a bit. The difference was they were GOOD fats and carbs....

dsl

officially an adult
Awards
  • Established
i definately do this, though I think it is more important when dieting rather than bulking. I am dieting for the summer and things seem to be coming along nicely. And strength is still going up! Gotta love what Bobo can do :thumbsup:.

Giantz11

Giantz11

Really Really Good Looking
Awards
  • Established
Oh boy here we go again with the cottage cheese and nuts......oh boy.

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
I think the intent is not be so extreme as to say if you have carbs in a meal you should have zero fat and visa versa. Rather meals that are HIGH in carbs such as a PWO meal should be lower in fat, meals that are higher in fat such as a typical pre-bedtime meal (e.g. Cottage Cheese and flax oil) would be lower in carbs. The idea being that you don't want to have a high amount of fat and carbs in the bloodstream at the same time. I think most guys tend to eat this way in general without even thinking about it.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think the intent is not be so extreme as to say if you have carbs in a meal you should have zero fat and visa versa. Rather meals that are HIGH in carbs such as a PWO meal should be lower in fat, meals that are higher in fat such as a typical pre-bedtime meal (e.g. Cottage Cheese and flax oil) would be lower in carbs. The idea being that you don't want to have a high amount of fat and carbs in the bloodstream at the same time. I think most guys tend to eat this way in general without even thinking about it.
That part of his theory is what I find kinda goofy. Yes that situation would lead to fat gain but it would require a large meal to create it. It seems he has just used an article-selling, round-about way to say not to eat too much in a single meal.

Like you say most of us tend to eat this way anyhow. If we plan out 6 500kcal meals in a day and we jack the carbs up in the PWO meal, then by necessity the other macro(s) must come down.

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
so consensus is, it's ok to include both?

cottage cheese - 50g pro
almonds - 15g of fat
granola 30g of carbs?

GTOman

Board Supporter
Awards
so consensus is, it's ok to include both?

cottage cheese - 50g pro
almonds - 15g of fat
granola 30g of carbs?

Looks fine to me. I'd consider 15g/fat per meal on the higher side (don't get me wrong, they are healthy fats) but the carbs at 30g are low to moderate so that's fine. I would just avoid sucking back a high dose of carbs (60g - 100g) with that much fat unless you have a very hard time putting on size.

JKurz1

JKurz1

Awards
good reply! I'll knock it down to just a few almonds.....then go to town with them in my prebed meal....my fats are under 30g for the day before my last shake.

magic8989

Awards
the seperation of macronutrients is IMO not necessary except at certain times like pre/post workout nutrition. The the main benefit of it is overall calorie control. Besides that there is no "magic" to it. In combining all 3 macronutrients together as long as overall calories are controlled there is no difference.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
If you are eating above 3k cals (or so), you'd have to eat like 8 meals to separate macros.
Not really practical at all for bulking.

akp2004

Awards
In theory is one thing... in practice, if you do the P+C and P+F religiously, one scenario is you'll simply eat more strict, clean diet. You pretty much have to stick to eating whole foods to do it.

And if that helps you hit your calorie and macro goals, and eat more veggies, great.

But does that mean this is the magic formula? Or that it is simply imposing a way of keeping you strictly eating correct kcals and macros daily, and on target.

I dont know. I got bored eating this way. And I didnt notice any "wow" from it after a few weeks.

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Kurz: What kind of cottage cheese are you eating that has 50g protein? Thats over 1.5 lbs of cottage cheese that I get. Fat Free Cottage Cheese from walmart is what I get and 1/2 cup is 14g protein and if I can remember correctly like 22g carbs.

ABiLiTY

ABiLiTY

Awards
  • Established
I think it is a good approach, but as others have said, i dont think you need to get to crazy.
Its ok to have a little carbs with ur fat meals and a little fat with ur carb meals.

Also i think one of his new suggestions is to eat an apple with P+F meals.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
i abide by it for the most part. it's kinda hard to completely separate them though. i surely don't believe it's BS.
Yeah I separate that as much as possible although it is definitely hard to completely separate them when you are trying to really bulk.

I do abide by a delicate ratio of fat and carbs per meal though and when one goes up significantly the other goes down.