Question about food versus shakes

  1. New Member
    sam32465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    32.5%

    Question Question about food versus shakes


    I have been looking around forever, read through all of the stickies, and have yet to find a satisfying answer. Why exactly is whole food better than a shake? If it has the same nutritional value, shouldn't they be the same in the long run? I have seen everyone say that whole food is better, but never have seen anyone back it up with reasons why.

  2. Advanced Member
    canadian champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    554
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    0.62%

    shakes are just fine. i hear that same comment all the time, but if the nutrient profiles are identical then you are indeed getting the same deal with the shakes. Im not sure about the specifics of the digetion issue, but I don't think there would be any significant difference between solid meal and a shake-meal digestion.
    cc

    Quote Originally Posted by sam32465
    I have been looking around forever, read through all of the stickies, and have yet to find a satisfying answer. Why exactly is whole food better than a shake? If it has the same nutritional value, shouldn't they be the same in the long run? I have seen everyone say that whole food is better, but never have seen anyone back it up with reasons why.
  3. Registered User
    CDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,543
    Rep Power
    2675
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    20.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by canadian champ
    shakes are just fine. i hear that same comment all the time, but if the nutrient profiles are identical then you are indeed getting the same deal with the shakes. Im not sure about the specifics of the digetion issue, but I don't think there would be any significant difference between solid meal and a shake-meal digestion.
    cc
    Shakes are fine, but the digestion issue is pretty critical. You want a good solid flow of nutrients all day long which you'll get with whole foods eaten consistently over the day. A shake is already in a state you'd call chyme, it basically goes right through the stomach into the small intestine and you start absorbing the aminos right away. That's why shakes are good for around workout times. Whole foods are broken down into chyme in the stomach and then fed into the intestines so it's kind of a more constant feed than a shake, which will essentially spike nutrients into the blood.

    Do a search for posts by Bobo with a key word chyme, or digestion, or similar key words and you'll get targetted threads/posts.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    sam32465's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    107
    Level
    2
    Lv. Percent
    32.5%

    Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    Shakes are fine, but the digestion issue is pretty critical. You want a good solid flow of nutrients all day long which you'll get with whole foods eaten consistently over the day. A shake is already in a state you'd call chyme, it basically goes right through the stomach into the small intestine and you start absorbing the aminos right away. That's why shakes are good for around workout times. Whole foods are broken down into chyme in the stomach and then fed into the intestines so it's kind of a more constant feed than a shake, which will essentially spike nutrients into the blood.

    Do a search for posts by Bobo with a key word chyme, or digestion, or similar key words and you'll get targetted threads/posts.
    Thanks dude, you clarified it quite well
  5. Advanced Member
    canadian champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    554
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    0.62%

    I stand corrected.
    cc
  6. Registered User
    CDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,543
    Rep Power
    2675
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    20.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by canadian champ
    I stand corrected.
    cc
    Still do the search for the posts using those key words. Lots of great on point info there. Good shake recipes too.
  7. Registered User
    milwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Age
    48
    Posts
    2,460
    Rep Power
    1405
    Level
    37
    Lv. Percent
    44.9%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    -food is for ultimate nutrition

    -shakes are for supplementation (specifically extra protein and maybe carbs for BB'ers)
  8. Registered User
    swole210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,088
    Rep Power
    660
    Level
    25
    Lv. Percent
    9.41%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by milwood
    -food is for ultimate nutrition

    -shakes are for supplementation (specifically extra protein and maybe carbs for BB'ers)
    Excellent way to put it Milwood!
  9. Advanced Member
    canadian champ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    843
    Rep Power
    554
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    0.62%

    I believe it was quotes like this that led to this thread.

    cc

    Quote Originally Posted by milwood
    -food is for ultimate nutrition

    -shakes are for supplementation (specifically extra protein and maybe carbs for BB'ers)
  10. New Member
    Xel's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    159
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    11.34%

    Quote Originally Posted by CDB
    Shakes are fine, but the digestion issue is pretty critical. You want a good solid flow of nutrients all day long which you'll get with whole foods eaten consistently over the day. A shake is already in a state you'd call chyme, it basically goes right through the stomach into the small intestine and you start absorbing the aminos right away. That's why shakes are good for around workout times. Whole foods are broken down into chyme in the stomach and then fed into the intestines so it's kind of a more constant feed than a shake, which will essentially spike nutrients into the blood.

    Do a search for posts by Bobo with a key word chyme, or digestion, or similar key words and you'll get targetted threads/posts.
    Not exactly. That's what Whey shakes do. Casien for example is still supplying aminos 7+ hours after ingestion...
  11. New Member
    Markio's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  140 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Age
    37
    Posts
    210
    Rep Power
    218
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    43.88%

    food better as it has a higher thermic value and kicks your metabolism up, good for dieting obviously. Shakes post workout better for the reasons given by GDB
  12. Registered User
    CDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,543
    Rep Power
    2675
    Level
    47
    Lv. Percent
    20.18%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Xel
    Not exactly. That's what Whey shakes do. Casien for example is still supplying aminos 7+ hours after ingestion...
    True, but most shakes are whey or a blend which means a miniscule percentage of casein and a whole lot of whey. To get decent casein he'd need 100% casein, milk isolate or egg, something like that. And, in the end, it's still no replacement for real food.
  13. New Member
    Spitdeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    230
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    20.2%

    Well what if you took some fiber with the shake to slow the emptying of the stomach?
  14. New Member
    Spitdeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Age
    38
    Posts
    182
    Rep Power
    230
    Level
    12
    Lv. Percent
    20.2%

    Screw it soon I am going to do a log on a 6 week or so bulk where I absolutely eat nothing but whey shakes and whey protein bars. I mean I want to see how bad it really is. A bulk with no real food.
  15. New Member
    Purepower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17
    Rep Power
    126
    Level
    3
    Lv. Percent
    88.75%

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitdeath
    Screw it soon I am going to do a log on a 6 week or so bulk where I absolutely eat nothing but whey shakes and whey protein bars. I mean I want to see how bad it really is. A bulk with no real food.

    Keep us dated with a log of your efforts, I'd be really interested in how it goes. But I'd be willing to be you have a bad case the runs for about 6 weeks

    I think your metabolism would actually slow down with only drinking shakes because your body would not have to digest anything.
  16. Senior Member
    anabolicrhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,581
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    20.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitdeath
    Screw it soon I am going to do a log on a 6 week or so bulk where I absolutely eat nothing but whey shakes and whey protein bars. I mean I want to see how bad it really is. A bulk with no real food.
    I would definately include bulk fiber. your lower GI will thank you, goodluck!
  17. dead sexy wino
    SJA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,054
    Rep Power
    8151
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    69.53%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    When leaning out, I use zero to one shake per day (post workout). When bulking, I consume 3 shakes per day (to keep the tank full). I've noticed a big difference in how I lean out from when I used to consume 3 shakes per day when leaning out. There is a lot of info on here relating to this topic. Specifically search for posts by Bobo as he has some valuable insight on this.

    CDB put it in a nutshell. When you consume a liquid, it will enter small intestine in 15 - 30 minutes. This is a short term fuel supply. If you were to try and bulk using nothing but liquid supplements, there is no way that you could sustain the nutrients needed to put on muscle mass. Your body would spike insulin and then crash (and would encourage fat storage) and would get a large hit of aminos and crash....then comes catabolism. You wouldn't have a sustained glycogen level nor would it (IMO) process aminos/fats in a manor needed to build muscle. You also would start shi tting bullets.

    The reason that a post workout shake is so important is to replentish your body of amino and glycogen deficiencies caused by intense training. The whole idea is to get something in your system which digests/absorbs quickly in order to stave off catabolism. If you read around the board, you will find that it is also recommended to eat a whole food meal about 30-60 minutes after consuming this shake.

    With respect to adding fiber to slow absorption, you need to make sure that you add the correct fiber or you will get the opposite effect of what you are looking for. Really, it primarily slows/increases digestion.

    soluble fiber = decreasing digestion (absorption with respect to glucose)
    insoluble fiber = increasing digestion (absorption with respect to glucose)

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weigh...tml#post506708

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weigh...=soluble+fiber
  18. New Member
    Xel's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  135 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    33
    Posts
    100
    Rep Power
    159
    Level
    9
    Lv. Percent
    11.34%

    A few month ago when I was bulking I tried consuming both 80% whole food/20% shakes, and 80% shakes/20% whole food, for ~2 weeks each. Both with the same calories and macro spread. I honestly didn't notice anything different, gains (bodyweight/strength) were the same, recovery seemed the same... Though I didn't do it long enough for anything conclusive. I would NOT eat just whey shakes though, I was having a blend of Whey/Casien/Egg/Nutragammax with Rice Oligodextrin for carbs, and mainly raw egg yolks and lecithin for fat.
  19. New Member
    Hbs6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    478
    Rep Power
    348
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    38.75%

    Quote Originally Posted by Markio
    food better as it has a higher thermic value and kicks your metabolism up, good for dieting obviously. Shakes post workout better for the reasons given by GDB
    Thats key right there, the thermic value. The body is built to digest whole food, not liquid all the time, back in the day b4 they had whey some pretty huge bodies were built on just whole food alone. Just food for though.
  20. Senior Member
    Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    854639
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    47.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Hbs6
    Thats key right there, the thermic value. The body is built to digest whole food, not liquid all the time, back in the day b4 they had whey some pretty huge bodies were built on just whole food alone. Just food for though.
    Agreed. The thermic effect of some types of food-sourced protien is touted as being approx. 30%, while fats, carbs and liquids supps are far, far lower. In essence, it take calories to digest food-sourced protiens; so the net calories are less than the gross calories consumed.

    There are FAR BETTER/MORE ACCURATE decsriptions of this elsewhere. Don't rely on my babble.
  21. Board Supporter
    Nitrox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,303
    Rep Power
    802
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    11.21%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Something which I dont see mentioned is the lack of micronutrition in a typical whey+dextrose/malto shake. Both are refined ingredients devoid of vitamins/minerals that whole food has.

    Hypothetically someone cutting on a 2500 kcal diet with 2x500kcal whey+dex shakes would be getting the micronutrients of a 1500kcal diet. Food for thought...
  22. Board Supporter
    cable626's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    711
    Rep Power
    12838
    Level
    23
    Lv. Percent
    35.89%

    Okay, since I'm bulking, this is my "shake":
    2 cups oatmeal ground up in 2 cups of water.
    There isn't any protein powder in it, just oatmeal in water. I have this with a meal always, never just straight carbs for a meal.
    (It takes too long to cook and eat 2 cups of oatmeal a few times a day.)

    Would you guys count this as a "shake" or am I alright in doing this?
  23. Senior Member
    anabolicrhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,581
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    39
    Lv. Percent
    20.95%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrox
    Something which I dont see mentioned is the lack of micronutrition in a typical whey+dextrose/malto shake. Both are refined ingredients devoid of vitamins/minerals that whole food has.

    Hypothetically someone cutting on a 2500 kcal diet with 2x500kcal whey+dex shakes would be getting the micronutrients of a 1500kcal diet. Food for thought...
    I like to throw in some Chlorella or spirulina to pump up the micro and phyto complex of the shake.
  24. Senior Member
    Beau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,873
    Rep Power
    854639
    Level
    50
    Lv. Percent
    47.81%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I add a whole host of supplements to my protien shake (the flavor helps mask the taste of the supps).
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Question about food weight
    By itzgambino in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 11:49 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 05:41 AM
  3. On a cut - a few questions about foods
    By getjacked63 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 11:29 AM
  4. question about sodium content in foods
    By hamper19 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-12-2003, 07:22 PM
  5. Question about T-1 Pro??
    By windwords7 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 12-31-2002, 05:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in