Too much Orange Juice bad for you??

bizzare_777

Awards
I have been increasing my daily consuption of potassium this month, most of it coming from orange juice and bananas. I was wondering if the acid on the O.J can be bad on the ph levels? I usually take my vitamins with O.J and i thought i remembered reading somewhere that takin supps with O.J wasnt a good idea, Do you guys know anything about this?

shct

Banned
Awards
  • Established
from what you are saying, i remember myself that drinking OJ while consuming your pills of any sort would decrease the effectiveness as the acid eats slightly at it.

i also have heard the complete opposite saying that taking OJ and pills have no problem ...

go figure.

i go with the first one as the acid in the OJ to me seems that it would eat at the substances in vitamins, powders, pills, etc.....

shct
mr_min

shct

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Quoted from a doctor site and read similar things from other medical sites....

Don't mix medications into your food. This can change how the drug works.
Don't take vitamin and mineral supplements with medications because they can interact with drugs.
Don't mix medications with hot drinks. This may destroy the drug's effectiveness.
Never take medications with alcohol.

medications/vitamins

shct
mr_min

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
I have been increasing my daily consuption of potassium this month, most of it coming from orange juice and bananas. I was wondering if the acid on the O.J can be bad on the ph levels? I usually take my vitamins with O.J and i thought i remembered reading somewhere that takin supps with O.J wasnt a good idea, Do you guys know anything about this?
Orange juice's acidity will not destroy vitamins and other sups. The gastric juice in the stomach is much more acidic and it will destroy supplements that are meant to pass through the stomach intact and become active in the intestines such as digestive enzymes or acidophilous [sp?] and so a stomach acid suppressor such as Prilosec needs to be used in conjunction with those types of supplements.

I take most of my supplements, herbs, vitamins, etc. with orange juice. Anyone who claims that O.J. will destroy or harm supplements is wrong.

djmarkiss

Awards
About two years ago I had some lab work done (this was when I was actually in shape and worked out) and for some reason my cholesterol was through the rough. It was so high that she sent me to a dietician class. I was 22 years old and everyone else was atleast 50+. Anyways she looked over my diet and said that orange juice was elevating my cholesterol levels. I didn't understand how but I guess she was right because I cut it down to only drinking it with some of my supps and my levels were fine again.

bizzare_777

Awards
ok......sooo now ther're sayin that O'J raised bad cholesterol? Geeezz, I always thought O.J was good for you. Do you guys know if this is true, or what? I have been drinkin like 3 glasses a day for extra potassium.

meowmeow

Awards
  • Established
ok......sooo now ther're sayin that O'J raised bad cholesterol? Geeezz, I always thought O.J was good for you. Do you guys know if this is true, or what? I have been drinkin like 3 glasses a day for extra potassium.
Don't be silly.

Here is a quote from loweringcholesterol.net concerning orange juice raising HDL (good cholesterol) http://www.loweringcholesterol.net/show/raise-hdl-cholesterol

Orange Juice: There was one specific study conducted at the University of Western Ontario in Canada where 25 students drank orange juice every day for four week. The results were amazing. HDL was raised an astounding 21%. The individual leading this study, Elzbieta Kurowska, stated this increase might have been caused by the flavonoid in the orange juice.

outlawtas

Awards
I just get some bad heartburn when i drink too much

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Dont forget the high sugar content and lack of fibre. Would it be possible to just replace the juice with the real fruit?

Gokmog

Gokmog

Awards
i like how the blood-type diet's perspective affords one a view of orange juice beyond the gastric environment. that's why i don't drink orange juice anymore (not for my blood-type).

Pioneer

Pioneer

Awards
  • Established
Dont forget the high sugar content and lack of fibre. Would it be possible to just replace the juice with the real fruit?
very true about the sugar content, but good OJs like florida natural and tropicana i dont think adds any extra sugar to it. fruit in general just has a lot of sugar in it.

i love OJ and i drink a lot of it, ive never had any problems.

Synthetik

Awards
Man, about the OJ raising cholestorol.......I'm a Sr. in a dietetics program and I have not read or heard of OJ causing cholesterol increase, at least bad cholesterol (LDL). I wouldn't see how this would be possible. Then again, I'm not a pro with all the answers. Here is what I found on a quick search:

http://www.applesforhealth.com/orangeju1.html

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/72/5/1095

http://www.holistic-online.com/Remedies/Heart/heart_news-oj-and-cholesteroll.htm

http://www.elliottsamazing.com/orangejuice.html

If anything, all these studies/findings is that it raises "good cholesterol" (HDL), like someone stated above.

Yagman

Yagman

Board Supporter
Awards
True but those studies were sponsored by Tropicana.

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
Drinking OJ really keeps me healthy--most of the time! Ironically I'm :sick: right now.