Oats + Protein - AnabolicMinds.com

Oats + Protein

  1. New Member
    kasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    126

    Reputation

    Oats + Protein


    OK so I notice when people eat there high protein meals or down their whey protein shakes, they like to throw down some oats too


    i cant put my finger on exactly why, im guessing because it helps with protein absorbtion/release being it a healthy carb?



    hmm so im asking why exactly, how (blended in, before, seperate?)


    and, would it be sufficient to just poor out my regular packs of oatmeal for now untill i go to the store haha?

  2. Board Supporter
    Rage (SoCal)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,928
    Rep Power
    1076

    Reputation

    People use Oats in shakes because it taste good, is convenient, and is a great source for carbs.

    You can blend them, do whatever you want.


    I don't know what your regular packs of oatmeal are.


    Also, you are posting in the wrong section. Check out the nutrition section.
  3. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
    Achilles13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    720
    Rep Power
    469

    Reputation

    One of the mods will probably move it to the proper section... but I usually cook my oats in skim milk. I may try throwing them in with my ON but doesn't sound to good.
    •   
       

  4. Anabolic Innovations Owner
    CROWLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    6,545
    Rep Power
    4829

    Reputation

    Oats out of the box, protein powder, add water and stir. Then use a spoon to eat.


    CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  5. New Member
    kasket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    126

    Reputation

    thnx for the help guys, srry bout the wrong forum!



    mmm protein shake in water, that i cannot do, at least some fat free milk to add some taste and a little added protein. i also like how milk settles my sthomach


    but each to his own of course



    mmk well imma need to pick up some oats and try that out. i hear about peanut butter as well, what kind is ppl usually talking about? regular or a natty type?
  6. Board Supporter
    cable626's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Age
    28
    Posts
    711
    Rep Power
    12837

    Reputation

    it's the old fashioned oats that you need!
    not the packets (those are instant)

    to achilles and kasket: throw the old fashioned oats in a coffee grinder first, it grinds the oats up into a fine powder. THEN put it in a shaker bottle, add your whey protein and water (or milk), shake, and enjoy!
    you can now drink it instead of eating it with a spoon or eating oatmeal separately.
  7. Board Supporter
    Rage (SoCal)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,928
    Rep Power
    1076

    Reputation

    Steel Cut Oats is really where it is at.

    Too bad they don't taste as good as Rolled.
  8. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,709
    Rep Power
    986895

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by kasket
    OK so I notice when people eat there high protein meals or down their whey protein shakes, they like to throw down some oats too


    i cant put my finger on exactly why, im guessing because it helps with protein absorbtion/release being it a healthy carb?
    its is used as a form of low gi carbs in a post workout shake. That is why they "throw down their oats too".
  9. Board Supporter
    Grassroots082's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,026
    Rep Power
    632

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by kasket
    OK so I notice when people eat there high protein meals or down their whey protein shakes, they like to throw down some oats too


    i cant put my finger on exactly why, im guessing because it helps with protein absorbtion/release being it a healthy carb?



    hmm so im asking why exactly, how (blended in, before, seperate?)


    and, would it be sufficient to just poor out my regular packs of oatmeal for now untill i go to the store haha?
    For calories I blend mine w/ ATW protein and milk. Use Quaker type old fashioned oats or quick oats, but sometimes I eat the instant packets too just for ****s and giggles.
  10. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Try the Quaker Weight Control sometime. More expensive, but higher in both fiber and protein content than regular oats. The so-called "gram of sugar" is actually in regular oats as well; just not listed on most brands since they can leave it out legally due to allowed variance in their measurements. If you check the USDA though, a cup of regular oats has about a gram sugar.
  11. Senior Member
    natedogg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,414
    Rep Power
    1335

    Reputation

    Besides the rolled oats I throw in my shakes, I eat an oatmeal called Sturm's. It's sugar free, contains flax, grape seed extract, green tea extract, etc. It tastes awesome. I even scanned the label for you people.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  12. New Member
    bitwise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    127

    Reputation

    Two scoops of double-chocolate ON whey, one cup of raw Quaker old-fashioned oatmeal, 1 Tbsp flax seed oil, and a cup of whole milk. Eat with spoon. Best shake I've ever had!
  13. Senior Member
    anabolicrhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,581
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    The oats help put your body into an efficient glucose/insulin phase which is optimal for muscle growth.( natural IGF ) It also gives me a sleepy everthing is wonderful kind of feeling.
  14. New Member
    bitwise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    127

    Reputation

    Do you know if there is a difference metabolically if you eat raw versus cooked?

    I can't stand cooked oats. After about 3/4 cup I start gagging. Happens with baked/mashed potatoes too but not with raw oats.
  15. Registered User
    EEmain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    882
    Rep Power
    566

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    Besides the rolled oats I throw in my shakes, I eat an oatmeal called Sturm's. It's sugar free, contains flax, grape seed extract, green tea extract, etc. It tastes awesome. I even scanned the label for you people.
    Where do you get it?
  16. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Here is the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal label:



    As you can see, 6 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein. 2 grams of unsaturated fat, 0 grams trans fat. And it tastes really good too. Both flavors taste good IMO, but the Banana Bread is the best.
  17. New Member
    Atlas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    247
    Rep Power
    234

    Reputation

    I bought both the weight control flavors yesterday and Null is right, the banana bread flavor is off the hook!
  18. Senior Member
    natedogg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,414
    Rep Power
    1335

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EEmain
    Where do you get it?
    Walmart. Cranberry and Blueberry are great.
  19. New Member
    JuanJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    118

    Reputation

    Bump for the Quaker weight control, they taste way better and have almost the same nutritional content of old fashioned oats.
  20. Registered User
    Mach .78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,228
    Rep Power
    730

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by cable626
    it's the old fashioned oats that you need!
    not the packets (those are instant)

    to achilles and kasket: throw the old fashioned oats in a coffee grinder first, it grinds the oats up into a fine powder. THEN put it in a shaker bottle, add your whey protein and water (or milk), shake, and enjoy!
    you can now drink it instead of eating it with a spoon or eating oatmeal separately.
    Exactly what I do as well.
  21. Banned
    CNorris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,184
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by anabolicrhino
    The oats help put your body into an efficient glucose/insulin phase which is optimal for muscle growth.( natural IGF ) It also gives me a sleepy everthing is wonderful kind of feeling.
    Yeah what he said... Always consume some good complex carbs after a workout with your protein shake. I've read it everywhere. Well I need to take an organic chemistry class next semseter. Then maybe I'll understand the chemical reactions involved with muscle synthesis.
  22. New Member
    Blinq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    112

    Reputation

    Oats are one of the best sources of carbs : low GI, vitamins, some proteins and good fats ; How many grs you guys eat ew? My mate goes for around 500grams per day... crazy bastard But that's his only carb source pre-contest
  23. Board Supporter
    meathead1987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    27
    Posts
    796
    Rep Power
    523

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    Besides the rolled oats I throw in my shakes, I eat an oatmeal called Sturm's. It's sugar free, contains flax, grape seed extract, green tea extract, etc. It tastes awesome. I even scanned the label for you people.

    It contains an undefined amount of maltodexrtin so you should count somewhere between 1-5g sugars. Just nit picking tho.
  24. Advanced Member
    rysigpi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    29
    Posts
    933
    Rep Power
    586

    Reputation

    Now that i am in cut mode and carb cycling I have most all my carbs right around my workout. I use 1/2 cup organic rolled oats with 1 scoop on chocolate whey, 2 tbsp organic natty pb, and some splenda! This is seriously tastey! Post workout I down 1 scoop on chocolate whey with water, and then 1/2 cup of the oats w/ one scoop choc. whey and some splenda. Can't beat it!
  25. New Member
    goldlifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    32
    Rep Power
    151

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Blinq
    Oats are one of the best sources of carbs : low GI, vitamins, some proteins and good fats ;that's his only carb source pre-contest

    same here, can't go wrong with oats precontest
  26. New Member
    mildain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    166

    Reputation

    Two scoops of double-chocolate ON whey, one cup of raw Quaker old-fashioned oatmeal, 1 Tbsp flax seed oil, and a cup of whole milk. Eat with spoon. Best shake I've ever had!
    Is that for you Post Workout shake or just any time you need a meal throughout the day?
  27. Advanced Member
    Jim Mills's Avatar
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    784
    Rep Power
    508

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by cable626
    it's the old fashioned oats that you need!
    not the packets (those are instant)

    to achilles and kasket: throw the old fashioned oats in a coffee grinder first, it grinds the oats up into a fine powder. THEN put it in a shaker bottle, add your whey protein and water (or milk), shake, and enjoy!
    you can now drink it instead of eating it with a spoon or eating oatmeal separately.
    I like that idea!..... I'll try it in the morning.
  28. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10344

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    Here is the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal label:



    As you can see, 6 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein. 2 grams of unsaturated fat, 0 grams trans fat. And it tastes really good too. Both flavors taste good IMO, but the Banana Bread is the best.
    i LOVE THIS STUFF.
  29. New Member
    PumpYouUp's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    415
    Rep Power
    312

    Reputation

    Anyone else eat oats with meat? Ham and oats is a good combo, Im eating a sandwich with roast beef/egg/oats/wheat bread and some sunflower kernels. Pretty good stuff to me, also eat them and drink a glass of water/milk/oj.
  30. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by PumpYouUp
    Anyone else eat oats with meat? Ham and oats is a good combo, Im eating a sandwich with roast beef/egg/oats/wheat bread and some sunflower kernels. Pretty good stuff to me, also eat them and drink a glass of water/milk/oj.
    HECK YEAH!

    I add oats to just about every meat dish. Oats + chicken, oats + shrimp, oats + tuna.
  31. New Member
    yzinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    138

    Reputation

    this all begs the question...post workout

    40-50grams of protein and how much oats mixed with it?
  32. New Member
    UberPooper1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Age
    29
    Posts
    308
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    just get the quick oats. same thing but just cooks faster. takes like 2 mins rather than 6. just add a little water before you put it in the microwave, then add milk when you take it out.tasty
  33. New Member
    yzinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    138

    Reputation

    how much guys post workout
  34. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10344

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by UberPooper1
    just get the quick oats. same thing but just cooks faster. takes like 2 mins rather than 6. just add a little water before you put it in the microwave, then add milk when you take it out.tasty
    Well, the quick oats have a little less fiber (which is what allows them to get soft quicker) but yeah, that's what I eat (plain or maple flavor).
  35. New Member
    yzinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    41
    Posts
    43
    Rep Power
    138

    Reputation

    Re: Oats + Protein how much guys post workout
    ??
  36. Board Supporter
    undecipherable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    152

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by B5150
    its is used as a form of low gi carbs in a post workout shake. That is why they "throw down their oats too".
    don't you want high GI carbs (dex, malto) w/ protein post workout?

    i thought oats would be make a shake more like an MRP?
  37. New Member
    BLOODZ's Avatar
    Stats
    5'6"  194 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    34
    Posts
    51
    Rep Power
    129

    Reputation

    I use quaker oats and i just grind it up 1 cup in my magic bullet, 2scoops of ON whey and it's good to go.
  38. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by undecipherable
    don't you want high GI carbs (dex, malto) w/ protein post workout?

    i thought oats would be make a shake more like an MRP?
    NEVER!!!!!

    High GI carbs will spike blood sugar and only lead to fat gain, even post workout. They serve no purpose.

    You don't need high GI carbs to create the insulin response post workout for storing your protein. In fact, the protein alone will cause the insulin response you need. You want slow digesting carbs because your body is incapable of forming glycogen fast enough when you spike your blood sugar like that. So in order to level your blood sugar your body will turn most to fat instead. The insulin will then store the fat.


    Dex and Malto are only useful when using insulin directly, and that's mainly as a safety precaution to make sure you don't die.
  39. Board Supporter
    undecipherable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    152

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    You don't need high GI carbs to create the insulin response post workout for storing your protein. In fact, the protein alone will cause the insulin response you need. You want slow digesting carbs because your body is incapable of forming glycogen fast enough when you spike your blood sugar like that. So in order to level your blood sugar your body will turn most to fat instead. The insulin will then store the fat.
    Good info, Thx. Been getting bad advice I guess.
  40. New Member
    warriorway's Avatar
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    37
    Posts
    475
    Rep Power
    358

    Reputation

    I like using 1/3 cup oat flour in my post workout shake. I get it cheap enough in the bulk bins at the grocery store. It gives my choc shake kind of a nutty flavor.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Oats&Protein Cookies w/pics
    By AutoKal47 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 07:16 PM
  2. Dextrose, protein and oats
    By FAMOUSX1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 04:04 PM
  3. What flavor of protein shake is your favorite?
    By Chemo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 02:11 PM
  4. Protein/oat pancakes
    By Kristopher in forum Recipes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 11:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in