Oats + Protein - AnabolicMinds.com

Oats + Protein

1. New Member

Oats + Protein

OK so I notice when people eat there high protein meals or down their whey protein shakes, they like to throw down some oats too

i cant put my finger on exactly why, im guessing because it helps with protein absorbtion/release being it a healthy carb?

hmm so im asking why exactly, how (blended in, before, seperate?)

and, would it be sufficient to just poor out my regular packs of oatmeal for now untill i go to the store haha?

2. Board Supporter

People use Oats in shakes because it taste good, is convenient, and is a great source for carbs.

You can blend them, do whatever you want.

I don't know what your regular packs of oatmeal are.

Also, you are posting in the wrong section. Check out the nutrition section.
  3. :::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::

One of the mods will probably move it to the proper section... but I usually cook my oats in skim milk. I may try throwing them in with my ON but doesn't sound to good.
    •   

4. Anabolic Innovations Owner

Oats out of the box, protein powder, add water and stir. Then use a spoon to eat.

CROWLER
    Sleep Supplement 3Z BCAA: Red Raspberry and Lemon flavors
    HGH/sleep enhancer: HGHpro
    Test Booster: TestoPRO and STOKED!
    Preworkout: MANIAC Fruit Punch and Pink Lemonade
  5. New Member

thnx for the help guys, srry bout the wrong forum!

mmm protein shake in water, that i cannot do, at least some fat free milk to add some taste and a little added protein. i also like how milk settles my sthomach

but each to his own of course

mmk well imma need to pick up some oats and try that out. i hear about peanut butter as well, what kind is ppl usually talking about? regular or a natty type?
  6. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.

it's the old fashioned oats that you need!
    not the packets (those are instant)

to achilles and kasket: throw the old fashioned oats in a coffee grinder first, it grinds the oats up into a fine powder. THEN put it in a shaker bottle, add your whey protein and water (or milk), shake, and enjoy!
    you can now drink it instead of eating it with a spoon or eating oatmeal separately.
  7. Board Supporter

Steel Cut Oats is really where it is at.

Too bad they don't taste as good as Rolled.
  8. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by kasket
    OK so I notice when people eat there high protein meals or down their whey protein shakes, they like to throw down some oats too

i cant put my finger on exactly why, im guessing because it helps with protein absorbtion/release being it a healthy carb?
    its is used as a form of low gi carbs in a post workout shake. That is why they "throw down their oats too".
  9. Board Supporter
    Stats
    5'9"  192 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by kasket

hmm so im asking why exactly, how (blended in, before, seperate?)

and, would it be sufficient to just poor out my regular packs of oatmeal for now untill i go to the store haha?
    For calories I blend mine w/ ATW protein and milk. Use Quaker type old fashioned oats or quick oats, but sometimes I eat the instant packets too just for ****s and giggles.
  10. Banned

Try the Quaker Weight Control sometime. More expensive, but higher in both fiber and protein content than regular oats. The so-called "gram of sugar" is actually in regular oats as well; just not listed on most brands since they can leave it out legally due to allowed variance in their measurements. If you check the USDA though, a cup of regular oats has about a gram sugar.
  11. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Besides the rolled oats I throw in my shakes, I eat an oatmeal called Sturm's. It's sugar free, contains flax, grape seed extract, green tea extract, etc. It tastes awesome. I even scanned the label for you people.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
  12. New Member

Two scoops of double-chocolate ON whey, one cup of raw Quaker old-fashioned oatmeal, 1 Tbsp flax seed oil, and a cup of whole milk. Eat with spoon. Best shake I've ever had!
  13. Senior Member

The oats help put your body into an efficient glucose/insulin phase which is optimal for muscle growth.( natural IGF ) It also gives me a sleepy everthing is wonderful kind of feeling.
  14. New Member

Do you know if there is a difference metabolically if you eat raw versus cooked?

I can't stand cooked oats. After about 3/4 cup I start gagging. Happens with baked/mashed potatoes too but not with raw oats.
  15. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg
    Besides the rolled oats I throw in my shakes, I eat an oatmeal called Sturm's. It's sugar free, contains flax, grape seed extract, green tea extract, etc. It tastes awesome. I even scanned the label for you people.
    Where do you get it?
  16. Banned

Here is the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal label:

As you can see, 6 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein. 2 grams of unsaturated fat, 0 grams trans fat. And it tastes really good too. Both flavors taste good IMO, but the Banana Bread is the best.
  17. New Member

I bought both the weight control flavors yesterday and Null is right, the banana bread flavor is off the hook!
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by EEmain
    Where do you get it?
    Walmart. Cranberry and Blueberry are great.
  19. New Member

Bump for the Quaker weight control, they taste way better and have almost the same nutritional content of old fashioned oats.
  20. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cable626

to achilles and kasket: throw the old fashioned oats in a coffee grinder first, it grinds the oats up into a fine powder. THEN put it in a shaker bottle, add your whey protein and water (or milk), shake, and enjoy!
    you can now drink it instead of eating it with a spoon or eating oatmeal separately.
    Exactly what I do as well.
  21. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by anabolicrhino
    The oats help put your body into an efficient glucose/insulin phase which is optimal for muscle growth.( natural IGF ) It also gives me a sleepy everthing is wonderful kind of feeling.
    Yeah what he said... Always consume some good complex carbs after a workout with your protein shake. I've read it everywhere. Well I need to take an organic chemistry class next semseter. Then maybe I'll understand the chemical reactions involved with muscle synthesis.
  22. New Member

Oats are one of the best sources of carbs : low GI, vitamins, some proteins and good fats ; How many grs you guys eat ew? My mate goes for around 500grams per day... crazy bastard But that's his only carb source pre-contest
  23. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by natedogg

It contains an undefined amount of maltodexrtin so you should count somewhere between 1-5g sugars. Just nit picking tho.
  24. Advanced Member

Now that i am in cut mode and carb cycling I have most all my carbs right around my workout. I use 1/2 cup organic rolled oats with 1 scoop on chocolate whey, 2 tbsp organic natty pb, and some splenda! This is seriously tastey! Post workout I down 1 scoop on chocolate whey with water, and then 1/2 cup of the oats w/ one scoop choc. whey and some splenda. Can't beat it!
  25. New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blinq
    Oats are one of the best sources of carbs : low GI, vitamins, some proteins and good fats ;that's his only carb source pre-contest

same here, can't go wrong with oats precontest
  26. New Member

Two scoops of double-chocolate ON whey, one cup of raw Quaker old-fashioned oatmeal, 1 Tbsp flax seed oil, and a cup of whole milk. Eat with spoon. Best shake I've ever had!
    Is that for you Post Workout shake or just any time you need a meal throughout the day?
  27. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'7"  172 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by cable626

I like that idea!..... I'll try it in the morning.
  28. Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    Here is the Quaker Weight Control Oatmeal label:

As you can see, 6 grams of fiber, 7 grams of protein. 2 grams of unsaturated fat, 0 grams trans fat. And it tastes really good too. Both flavors taste good IMO, but the Banana Bread is the best.
    i LOVE THIS STUFF.
  29. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.

Anyone else eat oats with meat? Ham and oats is a good combo, Im eating a sandwich with roast beef/egg/oats/wheat bread and some sunflower kernels. Pretty good stuff to me, also eat them and drink a glass of water/milk/oj.
  30. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PumpYouUp
    Anyone else eat oats with meat? Ham and oats is a good combo, Im eating a sandwich with roast beef/egg/oats/wheat bread and some sunflower kernels. Pretty good stuff to me, also eat them and drink a glass of water/milk/oj.
    HECK YEAH!

I add oats to just about every meat dish. Oats + chicken, oats + shrimp, oats + tuna.
  31. New Member

this all begs the question...post workout

40-50grams of protein and how much oats mixed with it?
  32. New Member

just get the quick oats. same thing but just cooks faster. takes like 2 mins rather than 6. just add a little water before you put it in the microwave, then add milk when you take it out.tasty
  33. New Member

how much guys post workout
  34. Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by UberPooper1
    just get the quick oats. same thing but just cooks faster. takes like 2 mins rather than 6. just add a little water before you put it in the microwave, then add milk when you take it out.tasty
    Well, the quick oats have a little less fiber (which is what allows them to get soft quicker) but yeah, that's what I eat (plain or maple flavor).
  35. New Member

Re: Oats + Protein how much guys post workout
    ??
  36. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by B5150
    its is used as a form of low gi carbs in a post workout shake. That is why they "throw down their oats too".
    don't you want high GI carbs (dex, malto) w/ protein post workout?

i thought oats would be make a shake more like an MRP?
  37. New Member
    Stats
    5'6"  194 lbs.

I use quaker oats and i just grind it up 1 cup in my magic bullet, 2scoops of ON whey and it's good to go.
  38. Banned

Quote Originally Posted by undecipherable
    don't you want high GI carbs (dex, malto) w/ protein post workout?

i thought oats would be make a shake more like an MRP?
    NEVER!!!!!

High GI carbs will spike blood sugar and only lead to fat gain, even post workout. They serve no purpose.

You don't need high GI carbs to create the insulin response post workout for storing your protein. In fact, the protein alone will cause the insulin response you need. You want slow digesting carbs because your body is incapable of forming glycogen fast enough when you spike your blood sugar like that. So in order to level your blood sugar your body will turn most to fat instead. The insulin will then store the fat.

Dex and Malto are only useful when using insulin directly, and that's mainly as a safety precaution to make sure you don't die.
  39. Board Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    You don't need high GI carbs to create the insulin response post workout for storing your protein. In fact, the protein alone will cause the insulin response you need. You want slow digesting carbs because your body is incapable of forming glycogen fast enough when you spike your blood sugar like that. So in order to level your blood sugar your body will turn most to fat instead. The insulin will then store the fat.
    Good info, Thx. Been getting bad advice I guess.
  40. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.

I like using 1/3 cup oat flour in my post workout shake. I get it cheap enough in the bulk bins at the grocery store. It gives my choc shake kind of a nutty flavor.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Oats&Protein Cookies w/pics
    By AutoKal47 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 07:16 PM
  2. Dextrose, protein and oats
    By FAMOUSX1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 04:04 PM
  3. What flavor of protein shake is your favorite?
    By Chemo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 02:11 PM
  4. Protein/oat pancakes
    By Kristopher in forum Recipes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 11:51 PM