Oats + Protein

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. this all begs the question...post workout

40-50grams of protein and how much oats mixed with it?

2. just get the quick oats. same thing but just cooks faster. takes like 2 mins rather than 6. just add a little water before you put it in the microwave, then add milk when you take it out.tasty
    •   

3. how much guys post workout

4. Quote Originally Posted by UberPooper1
    just get the quick oats. same thing but just cooks faster. takes like 2 mins rather than 6. just add a little water before you put it in the microwave, then add milk when you take it out.tasty
    Well, the quick oats have a little less fiber (which is what allows them to get soft quicker) but yeah, that's what I eat (plain or maple flavor).

5. Re: Oats + Protein how much guys post workout
    ??

6. Quote Originally Posted by B5150
    its is used as a form of low gi carbs in a post workout shake. That is why they "throw down their oats too".
    don't you want high GI carbs (dex, malto) w/ protein post workout?

i thought oats would be make a shake more like an MRP?

7. I use quaker oats and i just grind it up 1 cup in my magic bullet, 2scoops of ON whey and it's good to go.

8. Quote Originally Posted by undecipherable
    don't you want high GI carbs (dex, malto) w/ protein post workout?

i thought oats would be make a shake more like an MRP?
    NEVER!!!!!

High GI carbs will spike blood sugar and only lead to fat gain, even post workout. They serve no purpose.

You don't need high GI carbs to create the insulin response post workout for storing your protein. In fact, the protein alone will cause the insulin response you need. You want slow digesting carbs because your body is incapable of forming glycogen fast enough when you spike your blood sugar like that. So in order to level your blood sugar your body will turn most to fat instead. The insulin will then store the fat.

Dex and Malto are only useful when using insulin directly, and that's mainly as a safety precaution to make sure you don't die.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    You don't need high GI carbs to create the insulin response post workout for storing your protein. In fact, the protein alone will cause the insulin response you need. You want slow digesting carbs because your body is incapable of forming glycogen fast enough when you spike your blood sugar like that. So in order to level your blood sugar your body will turn most to fat instead. The insulin will then store the fat.
    Good info, Thx. Been getting bad advice I guess.

10. I like using 1/3 cup oat flour in my post workout shake. I get it cheap enough in the bulk bins at the grocery store. It gives my choc shake kind of a nutty flavor.
    •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Oats&Protein Cookies w/pics
    By AutoKal47 in forum Recipes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2012, 09:16 PM
  2. Dextrose, protein and oats
    By FAMOUSX1 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 06:04 PM
  3. What flavor of protein shake is your favorite?
    By Chemo in forum Supplements
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 04:11 PM
  4. Protein/oat pancakes
    By Kristopher in forum Recipes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-10-2005, 01:51 AM