6 hours with no meals...

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
Hey guys,
I just started serving at a restraunt called the Island Time Grill and I was wondering what I could do to minimize the muscle loss during each shift. The shifts are usually 4-7 hours long and there are no breaks for food. The past two days I have brought a premade shake consisting of...
Whey Protein- 45g
Xtend - 3 servings (30g protein)
Glutamine - 5g

I also have A big meal before work filled with carbs/protein/fat. And when I get home I have A protein/fat meal before bed. So I was just wondering if my current setup should work fine or should I change some things around?

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
6 hours with no food isn't that bad, but if it makes you fell better a shake in between is just fine

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Yeah a shake is fine. Maybe toss in some fish oil to make it better and add some good fat.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Throw some oats in that shake so you will have a slow burning energy source. The protein (especially whey) isn't going to last long. Some good fats would also be a good idea as jarhead pointed out but fish oil is a little hardcore in anything but capsules for me. Olive oil is much milder (n6 I know but still good for you and needed) and n3's I have been using Sesalean. It has a nice mild flavor.

Edit: I would save your money and drop the Glutamine. Also, have you seen what CNW sells their BCAA's for? 500 grams for 20 bones. Save yourself some duckets there as well in the stead of the Xtend.

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately, I do this two days out of the week. I have a shake within this time but that is about it. I've noticed that while on Clen, I have absolutely no problems with doing this.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Make a protein blend with both whey and casein w/ 1/2C of oats and a tablespoon of flax. You can throw in extra BCAAs to help keep glycogen high as well if you like.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
How would BCAA's keep glycogen high? Thats what the carbs are for. The BCAA's can be converted to glucose via gluconeogensis but only if carb depleted during excersize.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
I vote for adding oats and some flax to that shake. And just take a chug of the shake every 35mins or so.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How would BCAA's keep glycogen high? Thats what the carbs are for. The BCAA's can be converted to glucose via gluconeogensis but only if carb depleted during excersize.
If he is a server at a resteraunt, then I imagine his shift is around 5 hours of power walking.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
So why waste money on BCAA's to do something carbs are more efficient and less costly at doing?

Jim Mills

Jim Mills

Awards
  • Established
Isn't there a law about taking a break after so many hours?... Like every 4 hours.... Not sure about restraunts but I know I've read it before. Anyway, 6 hours isn't that bad.... But if your trying to bulk, thats a different story. IMHO

Rage (SoCal)

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Oh yea....I do take Leucine and Fish Oil in that period of time. *shrug* The leucine is more subjective but I do get in a few grams of fish.

PVSkyHigh

PVSkyHigh

Awards
  • Established
You are supposed to get (1) 15 minute break after 3 hours of work and (1) 15 minute break and (1) 30 minute break after 5 or 6 hours of work (I can't remember which), and for an 8 hour shift you get (2) 15 minute breaks and (1) 30 minute break.

I used to work at Black Angus and we never got a break, they just made sure you were off the clock before 6 hours of work. The 15 minute break that I was supposed to recieve is on the clock (I never once got a break-I worked there almost 2 years) so they could get away with it, but if I worked over 6 I would have to clock out for my break, so they just made sure I was gone before 6 hours came around. Pretty shady if you ask me.

Synthetik

Awards
I would never go w/out food for even close to 6hrs, of course, unless it was an emergency. Pack smoe almonds or peanuts in a zipblock and stash them in your pocket. If you dont have time for a shake, carry a protein bar. Try to be prepared as much as you can. You dont want to sacrifice muscle and add fat to your frame now would ya?!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I've worked part-time in restaurants for years. I always had some cottage cheese /yogurt/almonds in the bus station, and I would eat a couple of bites whenever I got the chance. Definitely worked. Other times I just do shakes. Definitely do something.

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
are there any supps that would work well for this?? maybe taking something like lean extreme before shifts?

fbxdan

fbxdan

Awards
  • Established
6 hours is a long ass time... Damn, if i dont eat every 2 hours i feel cranky and like im shrinking lol. Maybe you should invest in getting a good, low cost mrp, like champion nutrition's ultramet. This summer, when i was working i didn't get much breaks, so i'd make 2 of those at work with milk, and it was a good amount of calories. Taking that, and flax oil should help alot. Plus ultramet is delicious stuff, it kind of tastes like brownie batter.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
are there any supps that would work well for this?? maybe taking something like lean extreme before shifts?
Exactly. I go 5-8 hrs, sometimes everyday like this. It's OK if your on anabolics (and not bulking) but don't do it on T3. Also, if you're not on an anabolic, you must use a cortisol antagonist like LX or DHEA. Otherwise, you really mess with your metabolism. I try not to do it, but it happens all the time. I carry pre-measured 50g protein powder packs w/ ALCAR added too like the other guys. Just add water and slam one every 4hrs if it looks like I don't have time to eat that day. I use to add some fructose too, but stopped and I like that better.

dunimous

Board Supporter
Awards
should I just take 1 cap of lean extreme before work? or how much dhea?

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
You are supposed to get (1) 15 minute break after 3 hours of work and (1) 15 minute break and (1) 30 minute break after 5 or 6 hours of work (I can't remember which), and for an 8 hour shift you get (2) 15 minute breaks and (1) 30 minute break.
I thought it was 10 minutes every 4hrs plus a 30 minute dinner break every 8 hours. Maybe those are UK rules, but either way, this dude is legally entitled to enough time to eat food during his shift.

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Unfortuntely, I have to go through the same thing now. I work 8 to 9 hours wihtout a break(we have a schedule we have to keep) and it's VERY hard to get in food. It is also bad because it is a night shift that runs into the next day. What should I do about eating properly? I thought about taking a shake mixed with oats, ubt i don't think that will cut it. Thought about taking a meal with me, but I don't think that will work out to well. Should I invest in some protein bars?

MiKeY ReSp

Awards
  • Established
I would say to def just bring an empty water bottle filled with a protein powder composed mainly of caseinate..i used to have to do the samet hing at work and I would often bring MHP Up your Mass...pretty good product..if you cant do this just bring a few protein bars and down them in the bathroom quick..

BBAddict

Awards
Overall, the nutritional content available in powders are far superior to that available in bars. I also like the MHP Up Your Mass drink for it's nutritional profile--low GI carbs, healthy fats and a good amount of protein.
Also, there is no way that it's OK, IMO, to go 6hrs without eating regardless of whether you are bulking or cutting. Your body will go into a catabolic state if you go much more than 3hrs without food and that's no good if you're bulking. Additionally, your body will interpret this as a starvation and be more inclined to store energy from the next meal as fat so as to preserve itself.
Eat or drink something--it really doesn't take have to take long and it makes a big difference in terms of not wasting your time in the gym.

1ad man

Banned
Awards
its all about commitment and dedication when the champ is ronnie coleman and he does 8 hrs and can be mr o all is possible take 4 shakes premade that is it.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, there is no way that it's OK, IMO, to go 6hrs without eating regardless of whether you are bulking or cutting. Your body will go into a catabolic state if you go much more than 3hrs without food and that's no good if you're bulking.
Do you do realize how exaggerated a statement that is. If you are bulking and have a daily caloric surplus you are not going to become catabolic if I don't eat in six hours. If you are dieting and have a daily caloric deficit you will have no more potential of being catabolic if you don't eat in 6 hours. Your caloric defecit or surplus has not change. You could likely run into bloodsugar level issues and training within those six hours is not a good idea. Not eating for six hours is not ideal, but the consequences are being greatly exaggerated. Unless you are performing some endurance training or extensive heavy work you are going to be nothing more than a very hungry person. JMO.

Achilles13

Awards
  • Established
its all about commitment and dedication when the champ is ronnie coleman and he does 8 hrs and can be mr o all is possible take 4 shakes premade that is it.

:wtf: are you talking about?

Robboe

Robboe

Handsome and intelligent
Awards
  • Established
Unfortuntely, I have to go through the same thing now. I work 8 to 9 hours wihtout a break(we have a schedule we have to keep) and it's VERY hard to get in food. It is also bad because it is a night shift that runs into the next day.
I am almost certain that these working conditions are illegal.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
I worked in food service for ~10 years, my managers were always really cool about letting me keep a shake in the cooler to sip on mid-shift. When I became a manager, I encouraged all my gym-going employees to keep food hidden from our crazy GM so they wouldnt go catabolic during the dinner rush:D

If you get in good with the cooks they can throw a piece of grilled chicken your way every once and a while - a couple of the guys in the back of the house usually hit the gym and will identify with your plight:)

I'd get some Egg Protien (CNW and Nutraplanet have it), Casien, Whey, Powdered Oats and Flax, EVO, or Natty PB and mix that all up into one super meal replacer. You'll be all set!

BV

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
Unfortuntely, I have to go through the same thing now. I work 8 to 9 hours wihtout a break(we have a schedule we have to keep) and it's VERY hard to get in food. It is also bad because it is a night shift that runs into the next day.

A restaurant is a completely different world from your typical office environment. It would be impossible to take a break according to those rules, and work as a server in a busy restaurant.

A server typically makes ~$3.30 an hour before tips, so if you're sitting on your ass in the back room that's money you could be missing out on if you were taking a table. Eating on the run is really the only option you've got.

BV

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Cuffs=:stick: =1adman

Achilles13

Awards
  • Established

They say we can take a break, but they would like for us not too. Boss has been riding us about watching our hours. Pretty hard to throw 5000 cases of pepsi in 8 to 9 hours. Naw I am not whinning, but trying to get the job done without going overtime is hard enough without a break... lol.

R-Mac

R-Mac

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
what in the??????:confused: :confused:

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
4 premade shakes and I can be mr. o? Charles Atlas just lost my business!

purebred

Why not just plan ahead and pack some calorie-dense foods in tupperware?

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
I like to stay fed every 3 hours, but it's more or less because I get hungry then I want to eat too much or the wrong foods. If you are worried about staying anabolic, get something like Humapro by ALR Industries. It's an amazing product. I used the tablet form when I go hiking in the mountains. 10 tabs causes the same anabolic response as about 45 grams of protein from whey or meat so I'd drop about 10 tabs and have something like an apple or whole grain crackers, I wasn't prepping so I was mostly concerned with keeping a positive nitrogen balance while in the mountains.

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Also, I teach elementary PE and I do't get a break for 3 hours at a time, so if it gets to 3 hours between meals I make sure I have the powder pre mixed and drink 2 sv during one of my classes.

Benjamin1

Awards
If he is a server at a resteraunt, then I imagine his shift is around 5 hours of power walking.

I too am a server and I have the same problem as dunimous... As far as the power walking goes, if im trying to bulk up, and im power walking 4-6 during a shift, would you recommend to up my carb intake for my meal before work? I too eat a big meal before waiting.
Thanks!

PrimiFit

Awards
I would quit, but that's just me :p. I'd probably try to drink BCAAs during work and eat before work a big meal. Also, after work, I'd eat a huge meal.

Benjamin1

Awards
I would quit, but that's just me :p. I'd probably try to drink BCAAs during work and eat before work a big meal. Also, after work, I'd eat a huge meal.
for example, i work every saturday night and dont get out until 1030-11. If i eat a big meal around 11-1145 and goto bed around one, wouldn't a lot of it be stored as fat?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
:wtf:

PrimiFit

Awards
for example, i work every saturday night and dont get out until 1030-11. If i eat a big meal around 11-1145 and goto bed around one, wouldn't a lot of it be stored as fat?
Tricky situation. I still think that after all that moving around your insulin sensitivity is higher than normally and the carbs will be stored as glycogen. If you don't eat too much of them, that is :).

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
I personally feel your best bet is going to be to eat a good meal prior to work and then have some BAA's mixed up in a large water bottle (15-20+Grams). Sip on that through your shift. Maybe 3 hours into your shift (halfway point) take 10 grams of an EAA mixture in water or tablet form. After work, get home and eat a meal of veggies, protein and EFA's. You'll be good to go for the night as far as nutrients/recovery. You could even add something like brown rice solids to your BCAA mixture or even powdered gatorade to keep you fueled up with carbs during your shift.

WPChickDiesel

WPChickDiesel

Awards
I am a chef and dealt with this same dilemna when i took on a second job at a busy production spot. It was impossible for me to get my breaks in and i was always ridiculed for taking half of my law given lunch break! I was preparing for a show as well during this time and my metabolism was trough the roof! Since i didnt have the time to scarf down decent foods i would pack some protein waffles id make with my protein powder, egg whites and oats, and id cut them up so i can pop them in my moth when im making runs to the back of the storage or to the restroom! Ha! Before i got in the actual restroom of course....but anyway, making my little protein shakes with just water took a feat too because id have to have the water there with me and really couldn't discretely shake it up In a shaker, so i eventually had to buy those Isopure rtds and just pop the top and knock it back! Cheers and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

AlanUK26

AlanUK26

Awards
Maybe have a protein shake with some oats in it, with a banana, it's fast, easy and you get a steady flow of energy, better than just a protein shake alone,

mumbles12

Awards
you are entitled by law to have a break every 4 hours I believe.

Hey guys,
I just started serving at a restraunt called the Island Time Grill and I was wondering what I could do to minimize the muscle loss during each shift. The shifts are usually 4-7 hours long and there are no breaks for food. The past two days I have brought a premade shake consisting of...
Whey Protein- 45g
Xtend - 3 servings (30g protein)
Glutamine - 5g

I also have A big meal before work filled with carbs/protein/fat. And when I get home I have A protein/fat meal before bed. So I was just wondering if my current setup should work fine or should I change some things around?

purebred

Take a liter of whole milk to work with you. Easy to store and doesnt require any mixing :) plus you have plenty of calories!

mumbles12

Awards
Take a liter of whole milk to work with you. Easy to store and doesnt require any mixing :) plus you have plenty of calories!
raw milk if you can get it perhaps?..

even better calories and nutrition..

support your local farmer! or so it goes..

less your intolerant to dairy..

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
I am a chef and dealt with this same dilemna when i took on a second job at a busy production spot. It was impossible for me to get my breaks in and i was always ridiculed for taking half of my law given lunch break! I was preparing for a show as well during this time and my metabolism was trough the roof! Since i didnt have the time to scarf down decent foods i would pack some protein waffles id make with my protein powder, egg whites and oats, and id cut them up so i can pop them in my moth when im making runs to the back of the storage or to the restroom! Ha! Before i got in the actual restroom of course....but anyway, making my little protein shakes with just water took a feat too because id have to have the water there with me and really couldn't discretely shake it up In a shaker, so i eventually had to buy those Isopure rtds and just pop the top and knock it back! Cheers and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I do that with oats and egg whites too. Blend egg whites with oats, splenda, cinnamon and sometimes wheat germ or a fiber product like myofiber. One of my favorite meals. I'd make little pancakes with them and take them on the road withme when I travel or did demos or worked at a show like the Olympia or Arnold.