pre workout meal

Farmboy

Awards
I pulled this from a nutrition course text I'm studying.

"The pre-exercise meal is ideally high in carbohydrates, low in protein and fat, and eaten about 3 hours prior to exercise. This is important because it takes this long for the stomach to empty and glucose to enter the bloodstream. If too much protein and fat are present in the pre-exercise meal, this will lengthen the time it takes the stomach to empty."

Shoot, I've been eating about 80g low GI carbs with 55g protein(I eat this amount 4 times a day because It easily fits into my schedule) about 1 - 1 1/2 hours before workouts. On top of that I'll have a protein shake about 15 min before exercise and one after. Now I've known about how proteins and fats will slow down digestion from the reading I've done right here. I just never realized it took so long for breakdown. My thinking was I would eat an hour before and have enough glycogen stored to fuel me and feed the muscle until I was through.

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
If your getting proper nutrition throughout the day you will already have a decent glycogen store IMO. Exception being if you do a lot of cardio you may be depleted at times. Other than that, the only time you should be depleted is after resistance training, not before. I would venture to guess that your pre workout nutrition is more than enough, protein or not.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A lot of nurition books I have read seem to have a different opinion than what we consider to be optimal. I agree that as long as the body is fed with a steady stream of fuel, then optimal results will follow. I personally use 2 scoops of Metrx powder with 1/2 C of oats about an hour pre-workout.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
eaten 3 hours before exercise?
after 3 hours of not eating its time to eat again, not workout!
:food:

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
A lot of nurition books I have read seem to have a different opinion than what we consider to be optimal. I agree that as long as the body is fed with a steady stream of fuel, then optimal results will follow. I personally use 2 scoops of Metrx powder with 1/2 C of oats about an hour pre-workout.
Just a quick off topic comment Rodja: check the ingredients in the MetRx. The one I used to use has hydrogenated oils added. That is why it is so thick, which is why I liked it, the oats would stay suspended instead of sinking to the bottom. You may not care but with as much work as we put in to being healthy they go and put that poison in a protein drink. Things that make ya go hmmmm. FWIW

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
There are too many variables involved to make a blanket statement re: pre-workout nutrition. Type of exercise, length of exercise, and form of meal to name a few.

If you are concerned about depleting glycogen stores via resistance training I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you do marathon full body workouts.

Like stated by Bp above, if you are well nourished throughout the day you should not have any concern.

If you are involved in endurance sports we are talking about a completely different animal.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just a quick off topic comment Rodja: check the ingredients in the MetRx. The one I used to use has hydrogenated oils added. That is why it is so thick, which is why I liked it, the oats would stay suspended instead of sinking to the bottom. You may not care but with as much work as we put in to being healthy they go and put that poison in a protein drink. Things that make ya go hmmmm. FWIW
Yeah I saw that but I think the amount of total fat in 3 scoops is 2.5g so at the most I am taking in 1g when I workout. I do not use it on off days. I have also wondered why companies do things like that to their consumers.

Farmboy

Awards
If your getting proper nutrition throughout the day you will already have a decent glycogen store IMO. Exception being if you do a lot of cardio you may be depleted at times. Other than that, the only time you should be depleted is after resistance training, not before. I would venture to guess that your pre workout nutrition is more than enough, protein or not.
That statement was just different than what I have seen practiced and learned from the board. I think I'm good to go. However, if I'm tested on it, That will be the answer I'll have to give.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry to rip off your thread Rodja, but damn BP you should screw all the Chuck Norris pics and keep ones of you up..Nice build

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Sorry to rip off your thread Rodja, but damn BP you should screw all the Chuck Norris pics and keep ones of you up..Nice build
I only wish I looked like that all the time.

That is a master martial artist lighting trick tought to me by the great Chuck Norris himself. I am actually a scrawney little puke. I will be posting some more realistic pics in my USP stack log shortly.

And as for your comment that I should "screw all the Chuck Norris pics", I only masterbate to them. :D

Grunt76

Grunt76

Awards
  • Established
I'm with the "you're not carb-depleted BEFORE the workout" crowd.

But you do need protein in every meal. On top of that, I find that if you have protein-containing food 60-90 minutes preworkout, the amino acids from your preworkout meal will be entering your bloodstream right round the end of your workout if you time things right and use the right kinds of foods.

This is not super-accurate, but having amino acids being released into the bloodstream in the later stages of the workout cannot be a bad thing. The postworkout shake then serves as the double-whammy of anabolic drive.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I don't think it takes a protien shake 3 hours (or whatver the text speculates) to digest.

Synthetik

Awards
eaten 3 hours before exercise?
after 3 hours of not eating its time to eat again, not workout!
:food:
VERY TRUE!! And I'm with the rest that stated about your body being optimal to preworkout due to proper nutrition throughout the day.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

"The pre-exercise meal is ideally high in carbohydrates, low in protein and fat, and eaten about 3 hours prior to exercise. This is important because it takes this long for the stomach to empty and glucose to enter the bloodstream. If too much protein and fat are present in the pre-exercise meal, this will lengthen the time it takes the stomach to empty."
If that is the case how come I can cure an episode of hypoglycemia in 15 mins or so by eating a low to moderate GI and protein meal?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
There are too many variables involved to make a blanket statement re: pre-workout nutrition. Type of exercise, length of exercise, and form of meal to name a few.

If you are concerned about depleting glycogen stores via resistance training I wouldn't be overly concerned unless you do marathon full body workouts.

Like stated by Bp above, if you are well nourished throughout the day you should not have any concern.

If you are involved in endurance sports we are talking about a completely different animal.
:goodpost:

Farmboy

Awards
If that is the case how come I can cure an episode of hypoglycemia in 15 mins or so by eating a low to moderate GI and protein meal?
Probably cause your insulin sensitive at that point. In fact its recommended that you eat complex carbs in a hypogycemic state so that you don't get such a high spike. Protein/fat is even a better

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Probably cause your insulin sensitive at that point. In fact its recommended that you eat complex carbs in a hypogycemic state so that you don't get such a high spike. Protein/fat is even a better
Actually glucose is rec'd for hypoglycemia. 15 grams, wait 15 minutes & recheck; still low another 15 grams and another 15 minutes and recheck. Remember, the person is hypoglycemic you want to raise the BG. Excessive amounts are not needed.

Maltodextrin is a complex carbohydrate, gives a fairly high spike. Most food based carbohydrates are complex carbs. Might want to rethink your theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy

Because the above statement is false.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone could answer this. I train first thing in the morning. Can one train on an empty stomach and do light cardio for 20-30 min and not worry about neg effects? What would one recommend for a light, preworkout meal. I dont want to have to get up earlier than 7 and I like to get to the gym ASAP after that cuz i got class @ 10 and then work the rest of the day. I hope Jonny could give me his opinion...hes a smart dude:)

RipdnTxs2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I know this is a pain, but u MUST eat before u train in the morning, u have went 6-9 hours without feeding your body, training when running on empty like this will not build muscle, it will eat it up, at the very least get up at 6 am and eat a bannana and drink a protein shake and go back to bed, or scramble 4 eggs the night before and eat with wheat bread or oatmeal then go back to bed for an hour, this kinda sucks but it is very neccessary...