Fiber question

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45%

Fiber question

whats the difference between eating greens for fiber and eating a 100% whole wheat wrap (80 cals 12g carbs 8 of which are fiber) ? I just can't eat greens

thanks

2. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Go google insoluble fiber & then soluble fiber.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  3. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    Go google insoluble fiber & then soluble fiber.
    Soluble and insoluble only refers to whether or not it dissolves in water. Water will not however break down either.

Fiber, whether insoluable or not, is not digestable. Though soluble fiber tends to act more like a laxative.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Man, I freaking hate brocolli burps.
    I've been having them since the gym 2 hours ago.
  5. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.58%

Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    Soluble and insoluble only refers to whether or not it dissolves in water. Water will not however break down either.

Fiber, whether insoluable or not, is not digestable. Though soluble fiber tends to act more like a laxative.
    Quite the opposite. Insoluble fiber has a quicker transit time. Soluble fiber has a slower transit time.

If you think the only difference is that one is soluble in water and the other is not then obviously more research on the subject is needed.

Health benefits vary by type.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  6. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45%

I appreciate the help. Main reasoning is because im a sissy and wont eat greens. So I was just wondering to get enough fiber if I could get it from more whole wheat products and it be the same.

I know i'd be missing out on other nutrients but im mainly just asking about the fiber
  7. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.58%

Its different types of fiber and they behave differently in your GI tract do a little reading.
  8. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by swoosh
    I appreciate the help. Main reasoning is because im a sissy and wont eat greens. So I was just wondering to get enough fiber if I could get it from more whole wheat products and it be the same.

I know i'd be missing out on other nutrients but im mainly just asking about the fiber

Different kinds of fiber perform different functions in the body. If you can't eat greens, then buy some greens in a pill at your vitamin store.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    39.29%

Get RenewLife's Triple Organic Fiber.. I use the powder in 2 of my shakes everyday, 11.5g fiber.. Gives shakes a nutty taste, clears you out real good after afew days on it..
  10. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.27%

I need to read up on it again, but I believe soluble fiber slows down the early stages of digestion, which allows for better glucose control and enhanced nutrient absorption. Insoluble fiber makes you ****, and it cleans you out, allowing more surface area in the intestinal lining for nutrient absorption.
    I believe insoluble is also the type that helps protect vs. cancer (specifically colon).
  11. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%

Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    Quite the opposite. Insoluble fiber has a quicker transit time. Soluble fiber has a slower transit time.

If you think the only difference is that one is soluble in water and the other is not then obviously more research on the subject is needed.

Health benefits vary by type.
    Oh whups, I had it backwards. That's always been a topic where I have trouble keeping track which is which.

Though the one thing I DO know is that fiber is not digestable and thus no calories should be counted for fiber.
  12. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    I need to read up on it again, but I believe soluble fiber slows down the early stages of digestion, which allows for better glucose control and enhanced nutrient absorption. Insoluble fiber makes you ****, and it cleans you out, allowing more surface area in the intestinal lining for nutrient absorption.
    I believe insoluble is also the type that helps protect vs. cancer (specifically colon).
    Soluble fiber also reduces LDL cholesterol.
  13. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.58%

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    yah bro yer on point. Soluble fiber also absorbs water becoming gelatinous. This is beneficial further down when it gets in the large bowel producing moist bulk. Keeps the pipes working well. I am not exactly which bacteria do digest certain types of fiber but that is also happening in the large bowel. Google "FOS" fructooligosaccharides.
  14. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bigpetefox
    Get RenewLife's Triple Organic Fiber.. I use the powder in 2 of my shakes everyday, 11.5g fiber.. Gives shakes a nutty taste, clears you out real good after afew days on it..
    I second this, because this is what I do, but I use the Renew Life's Fiber Smart as well.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Insoluble fiber question
    By MakaveliThaDon in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2010, 02:04 PM
  2. fiber and ckd question?
    By bigdognhb in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 05:14 PM
  3. fiber vs carbs question
    By Nightwanderer in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5