Fiber question

  1. New Member
    swoosh's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    30
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    157
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    45%

    Fiber question


    whats the difference between eating greens for fiber and eating a 100% whole wheat wrap (80 cals 12g carbs 8 of which are fiber) ? I just can't eat greens

    thanks

  2. Registered User
    jonny21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,254
    Rep Power
    3918
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    96.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Go google insoluble fiber & then soluble fiber.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  3. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    Go google insoluble fiber & then soluble fiber.
    Soluble and insoluble only refers to whether or not it dissolves in water. Water will not however break down either.

    Fiber, whether insoluable or not, is not digestable. Though soluble fiber tends to act more like a laxative.
    •   
       

  4. Elite Member
    jmh80's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,110
    Rep Power
    9664
    Level
    57
    Lv. Percent
    88.66%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Man, I freaking hate brocolli burps.
    I've been having them since the gym 2 hours ago.
  5. Registered User
    jonny21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,254
    Rep Power
    3918
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    96.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Nullifidian
    Soluble and insoluble only refers to whether or not it dissolves in water. Water will not however break down either.

    Fiber, whether insoluable or not, is not digestable. Though soluble fiber tends to act more like a laxative.
    Quite the opposite. Insoluble fiber has a quicker transit time. Soluble fiber has a slower transit time.

    If you think the only difference is that one is soluble in water and the other is not then obviously more research on the subject is needed.

    Health benefits vary by type.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  6. New Member
    swoosh's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  157 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Age
    30
    Posts
    28
    Rep Power
    157
    Level
    5
    Lv. Percent
    45%

    I appreciate the help. Main reasoning is because im a sissy and wont eat greens. So I was just wondering to get enough fiber if I could get it from more whole wheat products and it be the same.

    I know i'd be missing out on other nutrients but im mainly just asking about the fiber
  7. Registered User
    jonny21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,254
    Rep Power
    3918
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    96.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Its different types of fiber and they behave differently in your GI tract do a little reading.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  8. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10347
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    98.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by swoosh
    I appreciate the help. Main reasoning is because im a sissy and wont eat greens. So I was just wondering to get enough fiber if I could get it from more whole wheat products and it be the same.

    I know i'd be missing out on other nutrients but im mainly just asking about the fiber

    Different kinds of fiber perform different functions in the body. If you can't eat greens, then buy some greens in a pill at your vitamin store.
  9. Board Sponsor
    bigpetefox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,685
    Rep Power
    2019
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    39.29%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Get RenewLife's Triple Organic Fiber.. I use the powder in 2 of my shakes everyday, 11.5g fiber.. Gives shakes a nutty taste, clears you out real good after afew days on it..
  10. Registered User
    Beowulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,430
    Rep Power
    2153
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    64.27%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I need to read up on it again, but I believe soluble fiber slows down the early stages of digestion, which allows for better glucose control and enhanced nutrient absorption. Insoluble fiber makes you ****, and it cleans you out, allowing more surface area in the intestinal lining for nutrient absorption.
    I believe insoluble is also the type that helps protect vs. cancer (specifically colon).
  11. Banned
    Nullifidian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,741
    Rep Power
    0
    Level
    32
    Lv. Percent
    14.57%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny21
    Quite the opposite. Insoluble fiber has a quicker transit time. Soluble fiber has a slower transit time.

    If you think the only difference is that one is soluble in water and the other is not then obviously more research on the subject is needed.

    Health benefits vary by type.
    Oh whups, I had it backwards. That's always been a topic where I have trouble keeping track which is which.

    Though the one thing I DO know is that fiber is not digestable and thus no calories should be counted for fiber.
  12. Elite Member
    yeahright's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,368
    Rep Power
    10347
    Level
    52
    Lv. Percent
    98.42%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    I need to read up on it again, but I believe soluble fiber slows down the early stages of digestion, which allows for better glucose control and enhanced nutrient absorption. Insoluble fiber makes you ****, and it cleans you out, allowing more surface area in the intestinal lining for nutrient absorption.
    I believe insoluble is also the type that helps protect vs. cancer (specifically colon).
    Soluble fiber also reduces LDL cholesterol.
  13. Registered User
    jonny21's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    46
    Posts
    2,254
    Rep Power
    3918
    Level
    34
    Lv. Percent
    96.58%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    I need to read up on it again, but I believe soluble fiber slows down the early stages of digestion, which allows for better glucose control and enhanced nutrient absorption. Insoluble fiber makes you ****, and it cleans you out, allowing more surface area in the intestinal lining for nutrient absorption.
    I believe insoluble is also the type that helps protect vs. cancer (specifically colon).
    yah bro yer on point. Soluble fiber also absorbs water becoming gelatinous. This is beneficial further down when it gets in the large bowel producing moist bulk. Keeps the pipes working well. I am not exactly which bacteria do digest certain types of fiber but that is also happening in the large bowel. Google "FOS" fructooligosaccharides.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  14. Senior Member
    chainsaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,227
    Rep Power
    3828
    Level
    27
    Lv. Percent
    64.02%
    Achievements Posting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bigpetefox
    Get RenewLife's Triple Organic Fiber.. I use the powder in 2 of my shakes everyday, 11.5g fiber.. Gives shakes a nutty taste, clears you out real good after afew days on it..
    I second this, because this is what I do, but I use the Renew Life's Fiber Smart as well.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Insoluble fiber question
    By MakaveliThaDon in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2010, 02:04 PM
  2. fiber and ckd question?
    By bigdognhb in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 05:14 PM
  3. fiber vs carbs question
    By Nightwanderer in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 11:26 AM
  4. Fiber question
    By KSMA in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-15-2008, 11:26 PM
  5. Fiber Question
    By Insidious1 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-26-2007, 09:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in