High Cholesterol ?'s

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I just got some test results back today. Everything checked out OK except for my cholesterol. I don't understand it, but if I had to guess I would say maybe red meat is the culprit. Maybe eggs. I do not have the cleanest diet in the world, but sat and trans fats are things I take very moderately. My fiber intake has been low lately, but I really do not know much in this area. Any input is appreciated.

So, my result is a total of 239 mg/dl, whatever that means. The paper says I should be under 200. Just how high is this?

Like I said, my training principles haven't been the strictest lately, but I am working on it. Would a little tweak fix this?

Thanks in advance for responses.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
First - I'd say add cardio.
Also, add soluble fiber.

If you wanna try the supp. route, you can try Red Yeast Rice + CoQ-10.

Actually, there is a good writeup about cholesterol on the "Safe Cycling..." thread.
Check that out.

william3162

Board Supporter
Awards
First thing you should understand is that about 80% of the total cholesterol is produced by the body. So you should review past lipid panel tests to compare. Also the HDL/LDL ratio is a more important parameter to look at than the total cholesterol. So my recommendations are the following:

1. Add cardio several times a week

2. Take fish oil

3. Red yeast rice ( Take this one cautiously since it might have the same detrimental effects in liver enzymes as prescribed statins). But it is very efffective.

4. Sesamin (it is well documented the benefits it has on the lipid panel). Using just 500-1000 mg/day will help you with your lipid panel would not hinder significantly you gains. One my favorites!

5. I you use any prohormone or steroid make sure you have Nolva as part of the PCT. Try to reduce the contact with aromatase inhibitors.

6. Eliminate coffee. It contains cafestol which has negative effects on LDL.

7. Add vegetables to your diet. This have falvanoids that might help ypu improve also.

8. Increase fiber intake: My secret is OATMEAL!

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
I'm a coffee freak, I had no idea. That's prob. it more than anything else.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'm a coffee fiend and had pretty similar numbers. I brought them down about 50 points with a nightly dose of psyllium husks, morning oatmeal, fish oil and flush free niacin. IMO, RRY is for more serious cholesterol problems that don't respond to these milder methods.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
OK, I'll take your word for it, jmh. Sorry if I'm freaking out a bit, but I just never expected this. I always worry about diabetes, but not my freaking cholesterol. My wife's response was "Cholesterol? With the way you eat?"
Anyway, I do drink a shitassloadful of coffee. I'm talking a pot or more on any given day, and if not that it's green tea, sugar free Rock Star, or splenda Coke. I'm guess these are good subs, though? The cardio I'll give you and need to start running again anyway for APFT. Not on PH's or AAS'. I already mentioned my recent lack of fiber, but veggies are a regular in my diet.

Also, I guess I'll schedule an appointment with my doc to get a better read on this because I really want to know just how high this is.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
First thing you should understand is that about 80% of the total cholesterol is produced by the body.
Sorry, but I believe you are over estimating. Although, it can vary on the individual and is regulated in part by dietary intake and by serum cholesterol levels. Don't forget, a % of the cholesterol synthesized de novo will be stored as bile and not circulating.
Some sources state < 1/2( http://www.indstate.edu/thcme/mwking/cholesterol.html )

while some state >2/3 (Advanced Nutrition & Human Metabolism) but this one is based on the thought that only half of the cholesterol consumed gets absorbed and based on average intake.

Some of the MD's I work with feel that its is ~40%, but to be honest I don't think most have any clue. They just say **** to make themselves sound right.

Now my .02

Avoid saturated fats, add EVOO (polyunsaturated fats may lower LDL but do not preserve HDL), filter your coffee, soluble fiber (oatmeal as mentioned)

If I am wrong please correct me, always looking to learn.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Overall, it's not that bad of a number. They keep lowering the "acceptable" cholesterol range and there's even talk of making it below 180..which is absurd and unhealthy I think.

Adding some more fiber, cardio and niacin will drive those numbers down fast.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Bio - you wanna talk unhealthy?

The last few bloodtests I've had have been right at 100 ng/dl total cholesterol.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Johnny- Are you sure about the flush free? I've been giving that a lot of credit for lowering my numbers. I was already using the fiber and fish oil and had high numbers.

JM- That's some scarey stuff. I loose my marbles in a big way when my numbers go way down from methyl use.

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL99999

Go to the Mayo clinic website and read-up. They even grade supplements by effectiveness. 239 total is pretty high but it would be helpful to know the HDL/LDL split. Your HDL should be above 40 and your LDL should be as low as you can get it. It's the ratio of these two types of cholesterol that is the greatest predictor of heart disease.

Awhile back I had a total of 268 (HDL 42, LDL 226)....so I was basically on my way to an early grave. With Psyllium husks, oatmeal, fish oil and increased exercise I knocked 74 points off my LDL and added 5 points to my HDL in 6 months).

Take your situation seriously but don't panic. You can take charge of this.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Bio - those are my total cholesterol numbers naturally.

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Johnny- Are you sure about the flush free? I've been giving that a lot of credit for lowering my numbers. I was already using the fiber and fish oil and had high numbers.
Pretty sure it is just the nicotenic acid form of B3 that has lipid lowering effect i.e. Niaspan.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Interesting.

JMH- if you have depression, anxiety or other forms of mental illness..those lipid numbers would probably be the reason.

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
my thread might be of some help to you:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/36092-cable626s-cholesterol-problems.html

if you use RYR you need to take coq10 with it.
Niacin (nicotenic acid) is the only thing proven to raise HDL.
Add healthy fats to your diet: Flax/Fish/EVOO/sesathin
Policosanol is a good year round supp also.
I think that the amount of cholesterol that you eat doesn't affect your cholesterol numbers, but you have to watch your saturated and trans fat intake.
Cardio will also help a lot.

Good Luck, let us know how it turns out.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
nice info, I didnt realize coffee had a negative effect on cholesterol

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
nice info, I didnt realize coffee had a negative effect on cholesterol
Only if it has not been filtered through paper filter.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just got some test results back today. Everything checked out OK except for my cholesterol. I don't understand it, but if I had to guess I would say maybe red meat is the culprit.
it isn't

Maybe eggs.
not this either

I do not have the cleanest diet in the world, but sat and trans fats are things I take very moderately.
Saturated fat is fine but you should avoid all trans fat

My fiber intake has been low lately, but I really do not know much in this area. Any input is appreciated.
The effect fiber has on cholesterol is minimal at best but in general you should increase the number of veggies you eat if you want more fiber in your diet

So, my result is a total of 239 mg/dl, whatever that means. The paper says I should be under 200. Just how high is this?
Like I said, my training principles haven't been the strictest lately, but I am working on it. Would a little tweak fix this?

Thanks in advance for responses.
Ask for your HDL, LDL and trig numbers and if LDL is high then ask for a VAP and/or NMR Lipoprofile test

SMC USA

SMC USA

Awards
First thing you should understand is that about 80% of the total cholesterol is produced by the body. So you should review past lipid panel tests to compare. Also the HDL/LDL ratio is a more important parameter to look at than the total cholesterol. So my recommendations are the following:

1. Add cardio several times a week

2. Take fish oil

3. Red yeast rice ( Take this one cautiously since it might have the same detrimental effects in liver enzymes as prescribed statins). But it is very efffective.

4. Sesamin (it is well documented the benefits it has on the lipid panel). Using just 500-1000 mg/day will help you with your lipid panel would not hinder significantly you gains. One my favorites!

5. I you use any prohormone or steroid make sure you have Nolva as part of the PCT. Try to reduce the contact with aromatase inhibitors.

6. Eliminate coffee. It contains cafestol which has negative effects on LDL.

7. Add vegetables to your diet. This have falvanoids that might help ypu improve also.

8. Increase fiber intake: My secret is OATMEAL!
Good advice here .. I would start with cardio, veggies, fish oil and fiber .. cut back coffee and check it in a couple months .. no change then look toward the seasamin and/or red yeast rice ..

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I love this forum just for that simple fact. It's a bunch of people who workout but also read up on their knowledge in the industry. You questioned has been answered. Another successful AnabolicMinds.com Customer