View Poll Results: How important is diet in your opinion?

Voters
217. This poll is closed
  • I have less than 1 years's experience. I'm just looking to learn.

10 4.61%
  • 1-5 years' experience. Diet doesn't change much of anything.

0 0%
  • 1-5 years' experience. Diet is of some importance.

1 0.46%
  • 1-5 years' experience. Diet is pretty important.

24 11.06%
  • 1-5 years' experience. Diet is the most important thing, no matter what supps/juice I use.

92 42.40%
  • >5 years' experience. Diet doesn't change much of anything.

0 0%
  • >5 years' experience. Diet does change things somewhat.

1 0.46%
  • >5 years' experience. Diet is pretty important.

16 7.37%
  • >5 years' experience. Diet is the most important thing, no matter what supps/juice I use.

73 33.64%

The importance of diet to bodybuilding

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Re: The importance of diet

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt76
    insectgod I feel the best way for me to bulk with somewhat clean calories, although I tend to go the 5000-6000 cals route when assisted because my maintenance is about 4000, is to eat a whole chicken every day. A 5-lb chicken (organic, this is what I eat) has 425g protein and 138g of fat. Now you might think this is a lot of fat, but if you stay near fat-free in the rest of your stuff, veggies, fish, shakes, etc. I find that's not too bad.

138 grams of fat? Is that with the skin or without?

2. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.64%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

This seems to be including the skin, because these organic birds are MUCH leaner than the standard ones, and the "whole chicken" nutritional information that I used to make that assertion is higher in fat %-wise than the "thigh only" whereas the breast is almost fat-free. If you follow my meaning. Here:

Organic Chicken Breast
    Nutrition Information

Calories: 110
    From Fat: 10 Total Fat 1 g.
    Saturated Fat .5 g.
    Cholesterol 65 mg.
    Sodium 160 mg.
    Total Carbs 0 g.
    Protein 22 g.

Organic Chicken Thighs
    Nutrition Information

Calories: 180
    From Fat: 110 Total Fat 12 g.
    Saturated Fat 4 g.
    Cholesterol 85 mg.
    Sodium 75 mg.
    Total Carbs 0 g.
    Protein 19 g.

Organic Whole Chicken
    Nutrition Information
    (Serving Size 4OZ. (112G)) Calories: 210
    From Fat: 130 Total Fat 17 g.
    Saturated Fat 5 g.
    Cholesterol 95 mg.
    Sodium 70 mg.
    Total Carbs 0 g.
    Protein 21 g.

If you were to use 8 servings of thigh and 8 servings of breast, the nutritional information adds up to:
    Nutrition Information
    Calories: 2320
    From Fat: 960 Total Fat 106 g.
    Saturated Fat 20 g.
    Cholesterol 1200 mg.
    Sodium 1880 mg.
    Total Carbs 0 g.
    Protein 328 g.

Bulking needs calories. Most of the energy for growing muscle can easily come from fat, that isn't a problem.
    Last edited by Grunt76; 03-05-2006 at 12:46 PM.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.34%

Quote Originally Posted by ryano
    138 grams of fat? Is that with the skin or without?
    I agree that it's not a bad amount of fat, but considering the fact that you should be getting omega-3,6,9 fats and maybe even flax seed, I think it's best to watch the amount of animal fats that are consumed. They're definitely less than ideal fats.
    •   

4. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.32%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Could just inject one of those bad boys... with some bacon grease,butter, and some spices.

Seriously though ...just taking of the skin would reduce the fat considerably...

I am going to try this approach on my next bulk. If anything. I have to break in my new Smokey Mountain Weber.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    89.19%

Or have you all ever heard this one: "What is the best fat burner?" I was asked by my bro a few weeks back, and I told him that it's all about the food you eat. Fat burners will only assist you only if your diet is in check. Then he starts telling me he drinks coke, eats sweets, snacks late, etc.....WTF.....

Although, I have to admit that I was one of those that thought the latest pill on the market was going to help me get lean and big. Little did I know food was cheaper and 100x better!
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.5%

For the endomorphs keeping the diet in check all-year round is 'a must'. Lucky ppl seem to get results without paying so much attention to what they eat, but surely 'dieting' pays off.
  7. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    99.09%

To chime in on this thread (because I love to voice my opinions, lol) -

If your training is 100% in line, dieting dictates how much fat you gain when building up, and how much muscle you lose when cutting down. This is important if you want to stay lean most of the time, because if your diet is not in line you will end up getting fat trying to bulk, then lose all the muscle and strength you just gained trying to lean back down - a nasty tread mill. If you only care about getting big and strong as hell, diet isn't really that important (see: dave tate).

As far as looking pretty, it's all about diet I don't think logging what you eat is really that important though, unless you are trying to go sub-12% bf. It's pretty easy to keep your calorie count in check just by limiting fatty food intake and eating a reasonable portion of food on a regular schedule. I'm sure you could get slightly better results by counting meticulously, but I don't think it's worth it for the majority of people out there.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.2%

About amount of fat in the diet, It is so hard to go to 40/40/20 protein/carb/fat. It is easy to go like 35/35/30.
  9. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'9"  272 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.64%

Quote Originally Posted by xaktsaroth
    About amount of fat in the diet, It is so hard to go to 40/40/20 protein/carb/fat. It is easy to go like 35/35/30.
    True, although some people naturally dislike fatty foods. Not me though. For some people, the % of macros seems to be more important than for others.

This explains the neverending debate in nutrition circles about "cals in / cals out" and "not all cals are the same" shools of thought.
  10. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%

i had a question in terms of losing bodyfat which cardio equipment is more productive the treadmill or elipitical climbers or walkers i should say. My friend said bikes and stairclimbers are more effective i argued and said that treadmill burns more fat around the whole body .

so which one is more effective in terms of burning fat thanks guys.
  11. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    8.16%

hey grunt how is the training and cardio going i notice your on a mission to get to 8 percent bodyfat can you post your diet and what is your cardio like right now thanks bro. and how you doing with your goals right now thanks.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.91%

As a new comer this is a great thread and does emphasis a good diet. I was just getting tired of making the same salad and dressing and got thick again, it's hard to have a healthy, tasty variety but you gotta work for what you want.

And from personal experience what you eat does so much more for you then the workout, I think to myself as there are so many more disieses and cancers probably the result of synthetic or bio engineered foods, let alone increadibly unhealthy fast foods.

With working out with roman and a beer(college ignorence) and having no energy before during and after workout. To Eating good and working out every other day, and feeling better with energy throughout the day. Most people are just to lazy/ignorent to think that it could fix most things that bother you. "D+E" diet and excercise the first thing your doctor says
  13. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.06%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Kam
    As a new comer this is a great thread and does emphasis a good diet. I was just getting tired of making the same salad and dressing and got thick again, it's hard to have a healthy, tasty variety but you gotta work for what you want.

And from personal experience what you eat does so much more for you then the workout, I think to myself as there are so many more disieses and cancers probably the result of synthetic or bio engineered foods, let alone increadibly unhealthy fast foods.

With working out with roman and a beer(college ignorence) and having no energy before during and after workout. To Eating good and working out every other day, and feeling better with energy throughout the day. Most people are just to lazy/ignorent to think that it could fix most things that bother you. "D+E" diet and excercise the first thing your doctor says
    Very True it takes care of your physically challanges and also you think faster, remember better and many more benifits. feel better , self confidence - why wouldnt people want all if this

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM
  2. The importance of bloodwork
    By Musclemar in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-16-2007, 08:20 AM
  3. The importance of chewing
    By hamper19 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 01:52 PM
  4. The Effects of Diet On Testosterone Parts 1 & 2