Consistently Low Daily Potassium Intake!

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys just wondering if I'm the only one with this issue. I Check my macros and micros daily with my Samsung Health app, and no matter what I eat, I seem to only get a max of maybe 1500mgs of Potassium out of their recommendation of 4700mg. Even with potassium supplementation, that number still barely reaches 2000mg, max. I am always watching caloric intake bc I battle with obesity. Any suggestions as to how to get closer to this goal without overloading on calories or causing other imbalances? Is 4700mg possibly a mistake by the app? It just almost seems unreachable to me. Aside from some excess vitamin A and Sodium, which I can account for this seems to be the only daily nutritional goal I consistently come up severely short on. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
So I did confirm the recommended daily intake is between 3500mgs and 4700mgs. I am curious how close most of you get close to this goal via diet only or with supplementation.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you eat much green vegetables? As I recall, those are the best sources of potassium. Add more spinach, it’s super versatile.

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
Do you eat much green vegetables? As I recall, those are the best sources of potassium. Add more spinach, it’s super versatile.
I do, and many of the other recommended foods as well.

I wonder if all the foods I search for to add, and keep as favorites, account for potassium content.

There are various different foods from several grocers, shops, and restaurants. You can also add items with most nutritional info including potassium.

I suppose, to keep calories low, I'll have to replace a couple less healthy items, of which I really don't have many, with a couple potassium rich foods.

Since I'm dieting, I usually try to keep 300-500 calories below maintenance, but maybe I'll have to just kick it up in the gym a little more and use some of those cals for bigger portions of old the potassium dense foods and try to add in more Spinach.

I dont seem to come close to he rdi on the app, but my bloodwork, which has been taken about every 6 months or so, shows I'm in range as far as potassium goes. Which is a big reason I'm not sure the app is calculating potassium very accurately. But it seems to be right on with everything else.

Thanks.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Start double checking the numbers. If you eat something that has a label, make sure it adds up with what your app shows. If no label, just google it, shouldn’t be too hard to find most foods.

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
Start double checking the numbers. If you eat something that has a label, make sure it adds up with what your app shows. If no label, just google it, shouldn’t be too hard to find most foods.
Thanks, I'm starting to notice a lot of the nutrition panels do not show potassium in my app.
Like it doesn't seem to be accounting for the potassium in my multivitamin, but it does account for my almond milk, and protein even though it doesn't show potassium levels on the nutrition label of the foods pre-entered in the app.
I'm just gonna go by my bloodwork on this one as I've always been in the acceptable range of potassium levels. Thanks for the input guys.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys just wondering if I'm the only one with this issue. I Check my macros and micros daily with my Samsung Health app, and no matter what I eat, I seem to only get a max of maybe 1500mgs of Potassium out of their recommendation of 4700mg. Even with potassium supplementation, that number still barely reaches 2000mg, max. I am always watching caloric intake bc I battle with obesity. Any suggestions as to how to get closer to this goal without overloading on calories or causing other imbalances? Is 4700mg possibly a mistake by the app? It just almost seems unreachable to me. Aside from some excess vitamin A and Sodium, which I can account for this seems to be the only daily nutritional goal I consistently come up severely short on. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hey Ynn3kc1,

Here is my protocol for getting the potassium we need.

IMG_2634.JPG

IMG_2630.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2632.JPG

IMG_2633.JPG

Atlantic Cod is a great low calorie, high protein source of potassium. I eat it every other day.

Spinach is a great source of potassium for a leafy vegetable. I eat it every day.

(Unrefined sea salt: EDITED OUT) Ideal Salt is a great source of potassium. I eat it every day.

Our muscles need potassium to transport fluid and nutrients into them. It’s crucial to muscle protein synthesis.

Good luck!

Stay safe! Stay strong!

Ynn3kc1

Ynn3kc1

Awards
  • Established
Hey Ynn3kc1,

Here is my protocol for getting the potassium we need.

View attachment 171725
View attachment 171726
View attachment 171727
View attachment 171728
View attachment 171729

Atlantic Cod is a great low calorie, high protein source of potassium. I eat it every other day.

Spinach is a great source of potassium for a leafy vegetable. I eat it every day.

Unrefined sea salt is a great source of potassium. I eat it every day.

Our muscles need potassium to transport fluid and nutrients into them. It’s crucial to muscle protein synthesis.

Good luck!

Stay safe! Stay strong!
wow I had no Idea vitamin water was so high in potassium!
Thank you very much for sharing this with me, I can definitely work many if these into my diet.
I have been reading how important potassium is for overall health. Thanks again!

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unrefined sea salt is a great source of potassium. I eat it every day.
Sea salt, great source of potassium??? Definitely not! Sea salt has at most 1% potassium and 30-40% sodium.

You are probably talking about Ideal Salt which is not sea salt but a mixture of sea salt and potassium chloride.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Sea salt, great source of potassium??? Definitely not! Sea salt has at most 1% potassium and 30-40% sodium.

You are probably talking about Ideal Salt which is not sea salt but a mixture of sea salt and potassium chloride.
Yes. You are right. I use both salts but only Ideal Salt has the substantially higher potassium content.

Thank you, Rostam, for correcting my post!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
wow I had no Idea vitamin water was so high in potassium!
Thank you very much for sharing this with me, I can definitely work many if these into my diet.
I have been reading how important potassium is for overall health. Thanks again!
FYI, It’s only the “Revive” Fruit Punch Zero Water flavor that has a huge boost of potassium.

I also was corrected on the Ideal Salt vs. unrefined sea salt, potassium content in a previous reply.

Glad to be of assistance!