Quick, healthy, and cheap(as they cane be) meals?

CJNator

Awards
So that’s what I’m looking for, hopefully I’ll gather up the discipline again to meal prep but for now I have very little. Any recommendations for a quick, cheap, and healthy meal for a meal prep? Either pre packaged(not TV dinner) or just something quick I can make.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rice is insanely cheap and easy to make, and can be paired with almost any protein source. I have a simple rice cooker, and can make a bunch of rice at once. Super easy.

Then for a protein source, ground turkey is very cheap. Often $3/lb, sometimes even less. I’ll cook up to 3lbs of it at once. Good for 6 1/2lb servings or 12 1/4lb servings. Ground beef is the same deal. Chicken breast is super cheap too if you buy from the right place.

Just mix the turkey or beef with the rice. For chicken, cut it up and mix it with the rice. You can do the same with hard boiled eggs too. Make a bunch, then dice them up and throw them in with the rice.

All of these meals are very cheap and allow you to make a lot at one time. From there, you can add some vegetables if you want, and some sauce, etc.

CJNator

Awards
Rice is insanely cheap and easy to make, and can be paired with almost any protein source. I have a simple rice cooker, and can make a bunch of rice at once. Super easy.

Then for a protein source, ground turkey is very cheap. Often $3/lb, sometimes even less. I’ll cook up to 3lbs of it at once. Good for 6 1/2lb servings or 12 1/4lb servings. Ground beef is the same deal. Chicken breast is super cheap too if you buy from the right place.

Just mix the turkey or beef with the rice. For chicken, cut it up and mix it with the rice. You can do the same with hard boiled eggs too. Make a bunch, then dice them up and throw them in with the rice.

All of these meals are very cheap and allow you to make a lot at one time. From there, you can add some vegetables if you want, and some sauce, etc.
I’ll have to get a rice cooker, chicken will be easy.

Rich Bert

Awards
Turkey Chili so many healthy recipes out there.

Chicken is always on sale at various places. Rice is cheap.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’ll have to get a rice cooker, chicken will be easy.
Rice cookers are fine, but not necessary. I cook a bunch of rice in a pot and then cook up a bunch of ground meat (bison, chicken, turkey, sometimes beef). You can have vegetables cup up already or use frozen. When it's time for a meal, I combine the ground meat, rice, and vegetables into a bowl and microwave. Add sauce if it's too boring.

Also cans of chili work. I toss in ground meat, chopped up peppers and onions, rice (if I want to add more carbs), microwave and eat.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rice cookers are fine, but not necessary. I cook a bunch of rice in a pot and then cook up a bunch of ground meat (bison, chicken, turkey, sometimes beef). You can have vegetables cup up already or use frozen. When it's time for a meal, I combine the ground meat, rice, and vegetables into a bowl and microwave. Add sauce if it's too boring.

Also cans of chili work. I toss in ground meat, chopped up peppers and onions, rice (if I want to add more carbs), microwave and eat.
Rice cookers are close to a must I would say. Not only can they be used for rice, but steam vegetables and potatoes as well. One could also cook meats in them. The steam basket and the rice cooker portion can be used at the same time, cooking rice and veggies/potatoes/or meat at the same time. Also, rice cookers make hard boiled eggs perfectly.

A slow cooker is a must too. Meats, oatmeal, and chili can all be made in them. Large quantities while you go out, are at work, or cleaning.

OP, you could always get those minute rice cups/packages and just add canned meat to it.

CJNator

Awards

Rice cookers are close to a must I would say. Not only can they be used for rice, but steam vegetables and potatoes as well. One could also cook meats in them. The steam basket and the rice cooker portion can be used at the same time, cooking rice and veggies/potatoes/or meat at the same time. Also, rice cookers make hard boiled eggs perfectly.

A slow cooker is a must too. Meats, oatmeal, and chili can all be made in them. Large quantities while you go out, are at work, or cleaning.

OP, you could always get those minute rice cups/packages and just add canned meat to it.
Probably will go for the rice cook next time I’m paid, it would be easier for me so I don’t over cook the rice. Will definitely get vegetables, I don’t eat enough at all.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm going to side with a nice short-to-long-term solution of no rice cooker.

Get 14 oz of rice like this if you can. It's amazing rice and this is how you cook this entire bag.

1. Boil 4.5 cups of water (Dash of salt and coconut oil if you wish)
2. Turn off heat and put entire bag in the pot
3. Allow to cook in the water for 15-20 minutes

That's it. The residual heat in the pot and on the burner allow the rice to cook.
My adopted Pilipino daughter recommended this method and it's perfect.

rice.png

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Get 14 oz of rice like this if you can. It's amazing rice and this is how you cook this entire bag.

That's it. The residual heat in the pot and on the burner allow the rice to cook.

View attachment 167151
Do you dump the whole bag in or literally just throw the bag in and cook it in the bag, like "Taco Bell" cooks their meat. Lol

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Probably will go for the rice cook next time I’m paid, it would be easier for me so I don’t over cook the rice. Will definitely get vegetables, I don’t eat enough at all.
Yeah, me and the other guy have a different definition of what "a must" is because I cook batches of rice a few times a week with just a regular pot lol.

Frozen broccoli is super easy to toss in with any meal.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I'll gve this way a shot. Right now I just simmer for 15 at super low heat, but worth trying.

CJNator

Awards
Yeah, me and the other guy have a different definition of what "a must" is because I cook batches of rice a few times a week with just a regular pot lol.

Frozen broccoli is super easy to toss in with any meal.
Yea non of it is a must unless you’re booking a on of rice I assume. I’ll definitely get frozen broccoli, that’s my favorite vegetable and it’s great with butter lol.

View attachment 167151
I can’t see the photo but that doesn’t sound too bad. I’ll try that out when I’m off tomorrow.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you dump the whole bag in or literally just throw the bag in and cook it in the bag, like "Taco Bell" cooks their meat. Lol
I should have known! I have to include a warning with this crowd! lol.
You pour the rice out of the bag into the pot, and discard the bag. :)

I'll gve this way a shot. Right now I just simmer for 15 at super low heat, but worth trying.
It's easy as can be.

Yea non of it is a must unless you’re booking a on of rice I assume. I’ll definitely get frozen broccoli, that’s my favorite vegetable and it’s great with butter lol.

I can’t see the photo but that doesn’t sound too bad. I’ll try that out when I’m off tomorrow.
Oh yes. Turn the heat off after boiling is reached and dump the bag in. 15-20 minutes and you've got perfect rice.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I get frozen sweet potatoes too. I used to cook a bunch of sweet potatoes at once and have that ready to go, but I'm willing to pay more for the convenience of frozen. That way I can just toss in cooked ground meat, frozen broccoli, and frozen sweet potatoes into a bowl, stick it in the microwave and in 4 minutes I am good to go.

CJNator

Awards
I get frozen sweet potatoes too. I used to cook a bunch of sweet potatoes at once and have that ready to go, but I'm willing to pay more for the convenience of frozen. That way I can just toss in cooked ground meat, frozen broccoli, and frozen sweet potatoes into a bowl, stick it in the microwave and in 4 minutes I am good to go.
Damn that sounds good, I’ll definitely be thinking about sweet potatoes too!

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!

CJNator

Awards
Maybe not quite as healthy, but what about pb and fluff? It’s like dessert.
Yea they definitely aren’t, I’ll eat one a day for like 2-3 days straight and I’m sick of them and don’t eat them for like months. Also I’ve never tried it, I’m afraid I’ll eat the whole fluff can in a week lmao.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yea they definitely aren’t, I’ll eat one a day for like 2-3 days straight and I’m sick of them and don’t eat them for like months. Also I’ve never tried it, I’m afraid I’ll eat the whole fluff can in a week lmao.
Yeah, sometimes I’ll just eat the fluff by the spoonful. But with this peanut butter it’s insane.
BCF627E8-E4EF-4B9C-9C4E-59EBB1910FF4-309-0000001F6A5F19FF.jpeg

Or this one.
CCD9BB3D-F6E2-4961-9DC8-7F317333B12A-309-0000001F8DA23D11.jpeg

TinyNutzzz

TinyNutzzz

Awards
This thread made me hungry as **** for Rice and PB&J Hahahaha....

Newth

Awards
Everything about rice/potato above is good with beans also if you want to lower carbs and raise fiber and protein.

EDIT: I'm also glad I can no longer buy Fluff in my country, Fluffnutters were to good.