John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The GI index of quick oats is pretty dang high. Rolled a bit less. Steel cut is where Gi is lowest. My brother recently turned me on to this information.

Ive did contest prep eating quick oats for years. Not anymore. Thats not to say I wont eat quick oats in offseason. Optimally Steel cut are the best for blood sugar levels.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
99% of people do not eat just oatmeal or a carb source at a single meal. Take into factor adding protein or fat to that meal and the GI is cut in half if not more. Your splitting hairs if you really think the GI Index holds that much value.
Hell most of the IFBB Pro's eat regular oats and it has not changed anything in their physique. People greatly mis-interperte the GI Scale.

The GI Scale holds about as much merit as the protein testing company Labdoor which is far from accurate, Another example is thinking BMI is accurate. Hell BMI tells me I am obese, but I hold almost 0 fat in my legs (Striations year round), and my back/arms are paper thin you can't even pinch and fat off them.

The GI index of quick oats is pretty dang high. Rolled a bit less. Steel cut is where Gi is lowest. My brother recently turned me on to this information.

Ive did contest prep eating quick oats for years. Not anymore. Thats not to say I wont eat quick oats in offseason. Optimally Steel cut are the best for blood sugar levels.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Some fats added would help the GI of the quick oats? Peanut/almond butter etc 3-4 Grams of cinnamon in with it also slows fown absorption.

When are you consuming the oats? If its in and around workouts then i wouldnt worry about quick oats.. If its first thing in the morning then your insulin sensitivity is already primed also..

I incorporate a GDA to my bulk routine and notice a difference.. Just chromium' cinnamon and Gynema Sylvestre.. I have done before and after glucose tests with this stack and it has stabilised my glucose levels very well.

If like me if you spike insulin high an hour later your beyond hungry? Could eat the full house! So i try control my levels

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
I prefer Rolled Oats myself but I also find myself consuming lots of steel cut oats. Quick oats I never ever seem to purchase. I feel that the only reason to put stuff in my body nutritionally is based on it being beneficial to my goals. Let me add though that all types of oats have their place when it comes to this. I find that Quick Oats blend really well and if I'm having a post workout shake I feel they are just fine.

I am a label nazi as well which I'm extremely proud of.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
99% of people do not eat just oatmeal or a carb source at a single meal. Take into factor adding protein or fat to that meal and the GI is cut in half if not more. Your splitting hairs if you really think the GI Index holds that much value.
Hell most of the IFBB Pro's eat regular oats and it has not changed anything in their physique. People greatly mis-interperte the GI Scale.

The GI Scale holds about as much merit as the protein testing company Labdoor which is far from accurate, Another example is thinking BMI is accurate. Hell BMI tells me I am obese, but I hold almost 0 fat in my legs (Striations year round), and my back/arms are paper thin you can't even pinch and fat off them.
Yes I relize when you mix fats and protein it slows gi down. That said ill take every advantage I can get. BMI is ridiculous because every it doesn't take account how muscular someone is.

Some fats added would help the GI of the quick oats? Peanut/almond butter etc 3-4 Grams of cinnamon in with it also slows fown absorption.

When are you consuming the oats? If its in and around workouts then i wouldnt worry about quick oats.. If its first thing in the morning then your insulin sensitivity is already primed also..

I incorporate a GDA to my bulk routine and notice a difference.. Just chromium' cinnamon and Gynema Sylvestre.. I have done before and after glucose tests with this stack and it has stabilised my glucose levels very well.

If like me if you spike insulin high an hour later your beyond hungry? Could eat the full house! So i try control my levels
Im not even eating them now. I ve been eating cereals, like raisin bran, and this new barley cereal. Controlling blood sugar is a big deal.

I prefer Rolled Oats myself but I also find myself consuming lots of steel cut oats. Quick oats I never ever seem to purchase. I feel that the only reason to put stuff in my body nutritionally is based on it being beneficial to my goals. Let me add though that all types of oats have their place when it comes to this. I find that Quick Oats blend really well and if I'm having a post workout shake I feel they are just fine.

I am a label nazi as well which I'm extremely proud of.
Cool. Its good to know labels, be proud of being a label nazi. Just remember though they dont show the gI index. Example https://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Comparison-Steel-Cut-Oats-Old-Fashioned-Oats-Quick-Oats-5321167 all profiles are very similar.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So you eat cereal which has a higher GI Then oatmeal, and your concerned about taking "Every advantage".
That is defeating the entire purpose of your original post....

The advantage of difference in eating instant oats to rolled oats would be about .000000000001% and make absolutely a minimal difference in the grand scheme of things. Over analyzation at its finest.

You could eat white rice instead and guess what the different and results in your physique would be nothing assuming calories are met and you are using decent sources for the majority of your meals. White rice is a great carb source, and look at how many bodybuilders eat it, and I am sure they are fretting over their conditioning, just like the ones who eat regular or rolled oats compared to steel cut. There are about next to no IFBB Pro's who claim they eat steel cut oats or utilize them.

You are way over thinking the GI Scale here..... Tell me how many meals you truly eat with JUST steel cut oats. I bet it is 0.

Alan Aragon said it best:
"The 1990’s was a decade that dichotomized unsaturated fats as good, and saturated fats as bad. Red meat, egg yolks, and pretty much all sources of dietary cholesterol were to be avoided. Abundant grain consumption was still encouraged, and even more so if the grain product had a low glycemic index (GI). High insulin elevations were considered harmful to health and body composition."
Quick oats 66. Steel cut oats is 42. thats about what 30 %? GI index of foods matter to me, and lower gi index are generally healthier, less processed. I understand your viewpoint on protein and fats slowing them down.

Not eating raisin bran currently, that has a gi of 61, which is lower than quick oats, and easier to make, and taste better. Im eating the barley cereal. I eat marshmallow cereal post training sometimes , and pudding, not all the time mind you, depends how intense that day is, or if I split body parts up that day, etc.

I eat basmati rice which tastes better than white and has a lower Gi index. I agree to disagree with you here

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Quick oats 66. Steel cut oats is 42. thats about what 30 %? GI index of foods matter to me, and lower gi index are generally healthier, less processed. I understand your viewpoint on protein and fats slowing them down.

Not eating raisin bran currently, that has a gi of 61, which is lower than quick oats, and easier to make, and taste better. Im eating the barley cereal. I eat marshmallow cereal post training sometimes , and pudding, not all the time mind you, depends how intense that day is, or if I split body parts up that day, etc.

I eat basmati rice which tastes better than white and has a lower Gi index. I agree to disagree with you here
I second Basmati rice. Best tasting rice out there and nutrition is outstanding!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I second Basmati rice. Best tasting rice out there and nutrition is outstanding!
Rice is nutrient void .
It has 0 vitamins or minerals .

GI has nothing to do with nutrition
0 vitamins , no fiber , no nutrients on basmanti rice.

Some of the higher GI carb sources have far better nutrients , vitamins and minerals but again NOBODY is eating just a carb source alone. Trying to compare GI value when none of your meals correlate to the scale is comparing apples to oranges .

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Rice is nutrient void .
It has 0 vitamins or minerals .

GI has nothing to do with nutrition
Most cereals that have a higher GI have more minerals , vitamins and fiber then rice which is “nutritional”
It has nutritional value due to the fact that its 36 grams of complex carbohydrates and beneficial to the bodybuilders diet. Low in fat, no sugars and good carb source!

CompeteNPC

CompeteNPC

Banned
Awards
Vitamins 0
Minerals 0

There is 0 nutritional value besides starch which is carbs

Sure you can eat Ezekiel bread and it has more vitamins and minerals but a higher GI. But your scared about a number on a scale which indicates a carb source alone.

How many meals did you eat that was just rice? I bet 0
How many meals were just a carb source and no protein or fats added? I bet 0

Therefore the GI is irrelevant because that’s not the value during the meal and during your consumption
Nutritional value is defined on more than just vitamins and minerals. You choose foods that will be beneficial to reaching your goals with meal timing. Meal timing is one of the most important aspects of bodybuilding. A source that is proven to be a good source of carbs which the body can use to make gainz paired with vegetables and protein is a wonderful nutritious meal. And yes you can eat rice on your own to meet your macro's for the day. If I had met all my numbers and needed 36 grams of good complex carbs to meet my required carb intake for the day I would cook up some basmati rice and put a little hot sauce on it and eat it. Its quick and convienient on top of it! Therefore it has nutritional value when it comes to my goals and many others. Don't forget one of the major reasons for this is because it allows to body to utilize it in a positive manner and keep glucose levels low. Which is another reason it proves to have nutritional benefits and value!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How did you look on show day by incorporating quick oats into your prep?
Ive always been short on conditioning in all four of my shows. That's not to say it was the fault of quick oats,lol, im sure theyre are guys who can eat quick oats and come in ripped and in better conditioning then i've ever had. For myself I like having every advantage I can and if that means lower gi carb sources, nice. to each their own. If something else works for you , great.

2012 fell short by a couple percent and last year by a few percent. 2009 and 2016 forget about it lol

Heres a pic two weeks out from junior nats, on vacation , then junior nationals. I tightened up a lil bit , picture may not look like it lol

Attachments

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Ive always been short on conditioning in all four of my shows. That's not to say it was the fault of quick oats,lol, im sure theyre are guys who can eat quick oats and come in ripped and in better conditioning then i've ever had. For myself I like having every advantage I can and if that means lower gi carb sources, nice. to each their own. If something else works for you , great.
Nice work brother. I think it's wise to be in-tune with different carb sources and pay attention to how your body responds to different foods, and it's always a good strategy to work smarter when it comes to the fine points. With that said though, it's hard to gauge how much a small change like switching your choice of oatmeal would have impacted your prep and stage conditioning.

If you find it to be helpful for you, go for it. But I wouldn't rule out any specific carb source due to its GI. 2-3 weeks before the show it might be a consideration to switch it, but from an overall perspective it will make little to no difference in the grand scheme.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Massmax XT with a caloric surplus and consistent intense training brings my weight and strength noticeably higher in 2 weeks. I'm on my second run and the results are just as good as the first time. It's staying in my supplement regime. I've been lifting for 21 years. This is my #1 for size and strength.
I agree with Bob on all of his points. And not to turn this into a what type of rice is better thread, here is some food for thought.

But there's one other thing about brown rice that makes it particularly problematic and that's the presence of phytic acid, a compound located in the rice bran – the part that gives brown rice its color.
Phytic acid, quite simply, grabs on to or chelates minerals, in addition to inhibiting enzymes we need to digest food. This results in making many of the coveted nutrients largely unavailable for digestion.
That's why white rice, despite decades of propaganda, is often a superior food, especially for athletes.
White rice is fortified with vitamins (digestible ones) and isn't associated with food allergies, bloating, or any other digestive problems often associated with grains in general.
https://biotest.t-nation.com/articles/7-bad-foods-that-are-good-for-you

That's why white rice, despite decades of propaganda, is often a superior food, especially for athletes. White rice is fortified with vitamins (digestible ones) and isn't associated with food allergies, bloating, or any other digestive problems often associated with grains in general.
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-stop-eating-brown-rice