White/Red potatoes and inflammation

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys. Just added red/white potatoes into my diet and holy crap do I feel awful. I'm having awful bloat and distended stomach and what seems to be IBS today. I woke up really bloated this morning but thinking it was just post show rebound ht after looking over everything it seems white and red potatoes are the only new variable added and the more I research the more I'm finding this is common.

Anyone else here suffer from this? I seem to be fine with sweet potatoes. Can anyone share their experience?

hanslifts

Awards
Yes, I would agree with your statement and assumption 100%. Although I’ve never competed on the stage like you have, I used to be a very competitive age grouper in cycling and triathlon. Before my very first Half Ironman, I ate a **** ton (pun intended) of white potatoes about 10 hours before the race start with my dinner. I woke up feeling like a puffy marshmallow in my wetsuit. And then about halfway through the 56-mile bike, I **** my ass off. It was bad. Later at the post-race party, one of the ole Ironman vets heard me talking about it and recommended that I never eat potatoes again before any athletic event because I am clearly not able to digest them properly. Turns out most endurance athletes stick to pastas and what not but avoid the potatoes. Anyway, again, its two wildly different sports we are talking about here, but if super seasoned triathletes, people that are obviously in tune with their body, stay away from potatoes for the reasons you mentioned above then I probably will too. Hope that helps.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Common
I have a few clients who I do not have them eat potatoes at all due to this. Massive problems with indigestion. Sometimes if you peel off the skins it can lessen the damage on the digestion, but I do find they settle heavy for a lot of people. If you can stomach them great due to the potassium. If you are coming off a prep I would stick to sources like rice, English muffins, bagels, cream of rice/wheat, cereal's and other less filling sources that may not cause your stomach to blow up.

Hey guys. Just added red/white potatoes into my diet and holy crap do I feel awful. I'm having awful bloat and distended stomach and what seems to be IBS today. I woke up really bloated this morning but thinking it was just post show rebound ht after looking over everything it seems white and red potatoes are the only new variable added and the more I research the more I'm finding this is common.

Anyone else here suffer from this? I seem to be fine with sweet potatoes. Can anyone share their experience?

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Common
I have a few clients who I do not have them eat potatoes at all due to this. Massive problems with indigestion. Sometimes if you peel off the skins it can lessen the damage on the digestion, but I do find they settle heavy for a lot of people. If you can stomach them great due to the potassium. If you are coming off a prep I would stick to sources like rice, English muffins, bagels, cream of rice/wheat, cereal's and other less filling sources that may not cause your stomach to blow up.
I am lucky enough to have not experienced that but there can definitely be issues with digestion with them. I like rice and sweet potatoes or breads & cereals on occasion too. I tend to stay away from whole grain breads, cereals or pasta. The inflammation is no bueno for me...

hanslifts

Awards
I used to eat them with no issues last prep. That's why I'm slightly confused but all my buddies eat them without any issues.

Thanks guys.
Sometimes our bodies change over time. I used to drink gallons and gallons of milk. But right around the time we had our daughter last spring, I developed a serious dairy allergy. Weird, can’t explain it, but the body does change over time.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sometimes our bodies change over time. I used to drink gallons and gallons of milk. But right around the time we had our daughter last spring, I developed a serious dairy allergy. Weird, can’t explain it, but the body does change over time.
It's crazy! I went a while where egg whites ran right thru me

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It's crazy! I went a while where egg whites ran right thru me
I wonder if it has anything to do with the resistant starches in potatoes. You need a certain amount and type of flora in the intestines to deal with it. I wonder if it might have to do with not having the correct flora any longer after the prep. You could if so inclined try some pre- / probiotics and test if that helps. Of course that is only if you really like them and want to try to keep them in your diet.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wonder if it has anything to do with the resistant starches in potatoes. You need a certain amount and type of flora in the intestines to deal with it. I wonder if it might have to do with not having the correct flora any longer after the prep. You could if so inclined try some pre- / probiotics and test if that helps. Of course that is only if you really like them and want to try to keep them in your diet.
Good call! I guess I could leave them but you know how clean eating goes, that little change up can be huge sometimes

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I tend to find its the amount of potatoes eating in a single meal which is the difference betweeen digestion issues or not. Particularly if its a recent addition into my diet. Here in Aus we have these potatoes called Carisma's which are 113 calories per 250g. If I eat more than 750g per meal then I experience all the symptoms you are describing. These things are life savers deep into a cut.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tend to find its the amount of potatoes eating in a single meal which is the difference betweeen digestion issues or not. Particularly if its a recent addition into my diet. Here in Aus we have these potatoes called Carisma's which are 113 calories per 250g. If I eat more than 750g per meal then I experience all the symptoms you are describing. These things are life savers deep into a cut.
Interesting. There’s 8oz in my meals now. Last prep I was only having 6oz in my final meal.

Very possible that 6oz mark could be the magic number. I had an awesome baked recipe too that were just like fries. I’ve been potato and oat free for 3 days now and all is well. I’m going to add oats back in tomorrow to see if it’s just the potatoes