Optimal macros for lean bulking

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
To date, I've mostly be eating at a 50p20c30f ratio but I've read that increasing my carb and/or fats at the expense of proteins would help me lean bulk at an advanced rate and benefit my mood. What are your opinions on this and what macros would you recommend?

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It doesn't matter. Everyone's different. I used to lean bulk on macros you're talking about but now I can handle almost 700gr of carbs but that was at 230lbs. There's a lot that goes into it. Workout types, cardio, muscle mass, etc...

It's a good place to start and adjust accordingly with either fats or carbs and see how you're doing with weekly check ins

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Macros are user dependent. Some can thrive and function on a low carb diet, whiles others cannot. You have to experiment to see what works for you.

A good starting point would be:

Protein - 1g/ pound of bodyweight
Fats - .8g/ pound of body weight
Carbs - Should make up the rest

You want to try and have at least 20% of your daily cals from from fat.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Macros are user dependent. Some can thrive and function on a low carb diet, whiles others cannot. You have to experiment to see what works for you.

A good starting point would be:

Protein - 1g/ pound of bodyweight
Fats - .8g/ pound of body weight
Carbs - Should make up the rest

You want to try and have at least 20% of your daily cals from from fat.
I've been told by some others to aim for 1.5g/ pound of Bodyweight. Have you heard this theory before, and what do you make of it?
Also, would a person's bf% alter these ratios and if so, how?

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I've been told by some others to aim for 1.5g/ pound of Bodyweight. Have you heard this theory before, and what do you make of it?
My personal preference is 1.5g per lb of body weight whether I am cutting or bulking, not saying I am correct just where I feel I should be.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I like to keep protein higher while cutting, usually in the 1.2-1.4g per pound. When bulking I don't find it necessary to keep protein that high. You should be eating a sufficient amount of carbs and be in a slight calorie surplus. Since carbs are protein sparing, there isn't a need to keep protein intake that high. I would prefer to lower protein and add in more carbs on a lean bulk, or carb cycle and do higher carb days a few times a week.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If cutting, like John said, I prefer a high protein amount, but when bulking, it isn't really needed.