AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I came across this article from T-Nation today and found it quite interesting. I'm not one of those people that think one needs to not eat at night, not eat carbs, avoid carbs, avoid mixing protein/fat/carbs, nor do I believe in any other of the many diet fads/myths. Instead, I believe in getting your calories and macros in during a 24 hour period whether that means IF, eating every few hours, front loading or back loading calories. Then I read the following article today. I was just wondering thoughts on this.

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/tip-the-meal-that-damages-metabolism

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
Would like to hear some interpretations of the full paper without a f'n advertisement at the end...

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
1 source, pimping a biotest supp that is 130 calories.

If you eat the majority of your kcals at night you will wake up heavier due to your eating patterns. if you cut off your eating earlier in the day you will wake up lighter due to gastic emptying and a longer fasting period. This is why I am not a huge advocate of T-Nation in half the article they are pimping their products.

take a tactical approach and have around 130 calories of specialized protein and carbs before bed.
a 130 calorie shake is really the recipe for gains? lettuce be real here.

in 8 weeks if your total caloric intake is matched there would be no difference in patterns due to the net energy equation. If you eat 2500 cals to maintain, and you are eating 2300 calories, will you really gain fat eating in a deficit? this is impossible.

Eat your normal caloric intake and end your eating at 7 and weigh yourself in the morning
Eat your normal caloric intake and have your last meal later at night say 10 and weight yourself in the morning (same time) You will wake up heavier the later you eat at night if you wake up at the same time and have the same morning routine.

I am sure you have read this one before:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4033492/
Explains it

"Other common meal frequencies (i.e., 4 or 5 meals per day) have eluded scientific investigation until very recently. Adechian et al. [123] compared whey versus casein consumed in either a 'pulse' meal pattern (8/80/4/8%) or a 'spread' pattern (25/25/25/25%) over a six week hypocaloric period. No significant changes were seen in body composition between conditions. These outcomes challenge Phillips and Van Loon's recommendation for protein-rich meals throughout the day to be isonitrogenous (40). Moore et al. [124] compared evenly spaced distributions of two, four, and eight meals consumed after a fasted, acute bout of bilateral knee extension. A trend toward a small and moderate increase in net protein balance was seen in the four meal and eight meal conditions, respectively, compared to the two meal condition. Subsequent work by Areta et al. [125] using the same dosing comparison found that the four meal treatment (20 g protein per meal) caused the greatest increase in myofibrillar protein synthesis. A limitation of both of the previous studies was the absence of other macronutrients (aside from protein in whey) consumed during the 12-hour postexercise period. This leaves open questions about how a real-world scenario with mixed meals might have altered the outcomes. Furthermore, these short-term responses lack corroboration in chronic trials measuring body composition and/or exercise performance outcomes."

However, the functional impact of differences in meal frequency at moderate ranges (e.g., 3–6 meals per day containing a minimum of 20 g protein each) are likely to be negligible in the context of a sound training program and properly targeted total daily macronutrition.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The only thing that changes my morning weight is the carb content of my latest meal.

Very high carb= less bathroom trips at night and more weight held (water/fluids)

Low carb= more bathroom trips and lower weight

Science haha

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Would like to hear some interpretations of the full paper without a f'n advertisement at the end...
It's the one bad thing about their articles, but they can be pretty informative. Just have to look past that.

The only thing that changes my morning weight is the carb content of my latest meal.

Very high carb= less bathroom trips at night and more weight held (water/fluids)

Low carb= more bathroom trips and lower weight

Science haha
I'm the opposite. Carbs or no carbs don't really influence my morning weight. The bigger the pre bed meal, I will usually be a little heavier than normal.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It's the one bad thing about their articles, but they can be pretty informative. Just have to look past that.

I'm the opposite. Carbs or no carbs don't really influence my morning weight. The bigger the pre bed meal, I will usually be a little heavier than normal.
yeah my big difference to you is that im normally low(er) carb almost all the time so anytime I have lots, I fill up a ton and suck every ounce of water up and wake up thirsty all night long ha.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
The bigger the pre bed meal, I will usually be a little heavier than normal.
Exactly .... This article doesn't have a full study either. So pimping a product with 1 source is negligable to consider. Total calories in the 24 hour period will always reign supreme. Find the balance of optimizing your training and meal frequency to suit your schedule. Quit sweating the small stuff like this article.

If you eat the majority of your kcals at night you will wake up heavier due to your eating patterns. if you cut off your eating earlier in the day you will wake up lighter due to gastic emptying and a longer fasting period. This is why I am not a huge advocate of T-Nation in half the article they are pimping their products.

Eat your normal caloric intake and end your eating at 7 and weigh yourself in the morning
Eat your normal caloric intake and have your last meal later at night say 10 and weight yourself in the morning (same time) You will wake up heavier the later you eat at night if you wake up at the same time and have the same morning routine.
You can also read Helm's study I did link which debunks the article on T-Nation. Not a huge fan of them due to them always trying to push their products and not releasing full studies of articles they publish.