I'm looking for the best multi-vitamin and wondering what the best form of b12 is.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am on and currently weening myself off of GERD medication, following doctor's orders. I have a small hiatal hernia, but not enough for them to want to operate. I am looking for the best multi that has the best form of b12 and all other vitamins for that matter. I read that cyanocobalamin is actually bad, which really sucks because I've been taking the same multi-vitamin with it for the past 3 years, while on GERD medicine.

Sean8616

Sean8616

Awards
I sure can't say I know the best, but Life Extension "Two-Per-Day" seems to be a really good fit for what you might be looking for in terms of quality.

I'd surely say it's a great product/brand to look into for a start.

Hope this helps.

riffdex

Awards
Why did your doctor recommend getting off GERD medicine? I take Omneprazole otc drug and it's really helped with my acid reflux. Wondering if I should re consider its use

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Why did your doctor recommend getting off GERD medicine? I take Omneprazole otc drug and it's really helped with my acid reflux. Wondering if I should re consider its use
Injection is the best form. pretty cheap also.

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well I really need surgery. I have a hiatal hernia and the doc said it "too small to make a difference" even though I'm almost throwing up even on the pills. I'm waiting to hear from the surgeon.

mccollums

Awards
There are ways to improve a hiatal hernia without surgery... massage, self massage, drinking 40oz water and doing heel drops etc..

Serum b12 is a lowsy marker for b12 status.

Methylcobalamin injection is the best.

b12 is abundant in meat/liver but you must have the proper PH in your stomach for it to absorb.

Supplements I take that have b12.. not every day, off and on.
vital proteins liver capsules
Seeking Health b-complex plus

Also, over 50% of people with acid reflux actually have low stomach acid. I had a heidelburg test run to determine that for me....

macedog24

macedog24

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Never heard of injection? I don't have diagnosed GERD but I had constant heartburn every single day until I started omneprazole?
B12 injections is the best! Sorry for confusion.

riffdex

Awards
There are ways to improve a hiatal hernia without surgery... massage, self massage, drinking 40oz water and doing heel drops etc..

b12 is abundant in meat/liver but you must have the proper PH in your stomach for it to absorb.

Also, over 50% of people with acid reflux actually have low stomach acid. I had a heidelburg test run to determine that for me....
What would low stomach acid signify?

pbandy1

Awards

what is the best marker for B12 then? My last serum b12 was over 1500 pg/ml. I have since cut out methyl-B12 supplementation and just focus on meat/seafood for it.

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Research gaps diet. Everyone I know who followed this diet to a T eliminated all of their horrible gerd symptoms that medications only made worse once they were off

pro45

Awards
At my last physical, my doc was very impressed with my D3 and B12 levels. I take a generic D3 supplement at 5,000 IU's per day, and I also use BI's Ultra 40 liver tabs. 16-24 tabs a day.

mccollums

Awards
what is the best marker for B12 then? My last serum b12 was over 1500 pg/ml. I have since cut out methyl-B12 supplementation and just focus on meat/seafood for it.
I can't find the article or podcast that detailed better B12 testing and some of the logic behind it.. Sorry- I looked a few times

I do know that serum B12 only shows part of the picture. Whether it's high or low, it doesn't tell the why?

For example, bacteria in the small intestines can synthesize a type of B12 ( that shows up in serum markers ) that is unusable.

I also remember that B12 has an active form. The test to determine this is holo-TC....it represents the biologically active part of B12 that can actually be delivered to the cells and perform all of the functions of B12.

Just like anything else.. it's complicated and dependent on many other factors.

If you are relatively healthy and feel pretty good, you are probably right to just stop the supplementation and see what happens. Do the basics like eating whole foods diet, elimination diet like whole 30, test your blood sugar (fasting, post prandial) , and get good sleep. If you got other funky stuff going on ( like gut issues ) find a good functional medicine Doc that understands the nuances of B12 and methylation and get to the root of the problem.