Salt or salt substitutes?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Anybody use salt substitutes? Looks like a good way to get some extra potassium and avoid overdoing the sodium. Salt flavoring is a taste from the gods, and completely dropping it from grilling and whatnot is just not possible (for high blood pressure). Any thoughts?
And for whatever reason the insert on my telmisartan says to avoid extra potassium from salt substitutes...

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I use lots of salt as well as salt subs... I literally would put salt on itself. Never had any issues.

The one thing is that sometimes the substitutes (sugar/salt/walden farms/etc) can really bother people's GI tract since they're typically just harder or impossible to digest and therefore create some issues (gas, bloating, diarrhea, or any combo of these/similars)

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't have any issues with salt substitutes. I find that the 50% blends, half salt, half potassium, tend to be a much much better price than the fully sodium free ones.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Anybody use salt substitutes? Looks like a good way to get some extra potassium and avoid overdoing the sodium. Salt flavoring is a taste from the gods, and completely dropping it from grilling and whatnot is just not possible (for high blood pressure). Any thoughts?
And for whatever reason the insert on my telmisartan says to avoid extra potassium from salt substitutes...
Telmisartan raises your blood potassium levels, so that's why you need to avoid the potassium.

riffdex

Awards
I but "No Salt" product and mix 50/50 with table salt. This is the shaker I used on all my meal prep.