tired and lethargic

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
I'm 24 years old and I've been struggling with low libido and have been very lethargic as of late. my theory behind the cause of this is due to my melatonin I've been taking before bed. I was dosing between 30-50mg sublingual. I did this for almost a month straight. I discontinued the melatonin and still feel the same symptoms. I know it has to be the melatonin because everything was good and that us the only thing I added to my supplement plan and diet. Has this ever happen to anyone ? how do I fix this ? My lethargy is effecting me in the bed room right now. any advice is deeply appreciate !

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
no I was doing up to 50mg. I was taking between three to five 10mg sublingual tabs before bed.

pigeonjp

Awards
WOW you better take a big break for a couple weeks and see where you're at. That's insanely high dosing. I'm amazed you don't have more issues! If after a week or so you aren't showing some signs of improvement I'd be headed to the doc.

Studdscruggs

Studdscruggs

Awards
BRO WHAT THE ACTUAL ****! 50mg?!?! THATS OF COURSE WHERE PROBLEMS ARE COMING FROM! I become dead sleepy at 3mg!!! Defintley take off of the melatonin!!

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
That's an insane dosage of melatonin. I would stop taking it for a few weeks/months, and I would never recommend someone to take more than 10g MAX of melatonin per night. Have you looked into other options for sleep aids? ZMA can be helpful, as well as Ashwagandha for reducing stress and providing a calming/relaxed feeling.

If your libido is low and things seem off at 24, I would go to your doctor and have your bloodwork done. If you've been dieting for a long time or if you haven't given your body adequate rest and recovery outside of the gym, its possible that you need to pull back on diet/training and let your body recover. Libido shouldn't be an issue at 24, so I would highly suggest seeking a doctor to figure out what's wrong.

As far as supplementation goes, definitely cut out the high dose of melatonin. You could look into a product like Alphamax XT that includes both ZMA and Ashwagandha, which can both help to provide better sleep. Alphamax XT also contains ingredients to increase natural test, limit cortisol and estrogen production, and can help boost libido. This would be a good product to consider for what you've been experiencing, but I would see your doctor first before trying any OTC products to try and fix your sleep/libido problems