1000 fat vs 1000 sugar

seasoul

Awards
Hi,
I am confused about the general sentence "fat doesn't make you fat". Let me explain my doubt in an imaginary scenario.

Let's assume that my maintenance kcal intake per day is 1500 kcal. To lose weight I can:
a) eat 1000 kcal of pure sugar OR
b) eat 1000 of pure fat

Which one allows a faster weight loss? and why?

Thanks

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well I would choose the fat because it does not raise blood sugar or insulin levels nearly as much as sugar does. Faster fat loss happens way faster when you lower the insulin levels in the body and lower the glucose in the blood. I have been following a keto diet for the last year and a half along with intermittent fasting and I am more ripped now than I ever been.
This works for me as a diabetic and if you look at many logs of other members it has worked for them as well.

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh my macro breakdown is 70% fat, 20% protein and 10% carbs. I do follow a carb refeed every sunday.

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hi,
I am confused about the general sentence "fat doesn't make you fat". Let me explain my doubt in an imaginary scenario.

Let's assume that my maintenance kcal intake per day is 1500 kcal. To lose weight I can:
a) eat 1000 kcal of pure sugar OR
b) eat 1000 of pure fat

Which one allows a faster weight loss? and why?

Thanks
I can tell you anecdotally from thousands of people will say just eating the fat instead of the sugar will accelerate your fat loss goals

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I follow a ketogenic diet combined with intermittent fasting and I'm in the best shape of my life at almost 43 years old.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's about as meaningful of scenario as

You have to
a) Eat Hillary Clinton's p____
b) Let Trump bang you in the ---

A higher fat diet is more likely to have easier fat loss than a high sugar diet though. As was mentioned, sugar -> insulin which slows to stops lipolysis (the breakdown of fats and other lipids by hydrolysis to release fatty acids.) which is central to fat loss.

And that's the meaningful part because the total flaw in the question is a "faster weight loss". You want fast weight loss? Cut off a leg. Boom, you lose probably at least 25lbs. What is meaningful is a "faster fat loss with muscle retention" :)

JSTR808

Banned
Awards
If you eat 100gr of fat, and your body is fat adapted (uses fat for energy) you'll be healthier. Humans don't need carbohydrates, and if you're insulin resistant, you'll start to store body fat if the 100gr of carbs spikes your insulin and you don't use it. Cancer LOVES carbs. Cancer has no use for fat. Alzheimer's complicates carb use. Fat use improves cognition and Alzheimer's symptoms (I was suffering pre Alz symtoms). Hope that helps.

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I follow a ketogenic diet combined with intermittent fasting and I'm in the best shape of my life at almost 43 years old.
I'm 45 and in way better shape than I was 5 years ago

JSTR808

Banned
Awards
I'm also 45, and thanks to Keto my pre-Alzhymers symptoms are gone and my body finally looks like I am the athlete I've been for over 25 years. Game Changer

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I'm 45 and in way better shape than I was 5 years ago
I'm also 45, and thanks to Keto my pre-Alzhymers symptoms are gone and my body finally looks like I am the athlete I've been for over 25 years. Game Changer
What Keto diets are you following, Standard, Cyclic or Targeted?

JSTR808

Banned
Awards
Standard high fat, medium protein, <50gr carbs. I don't cycle in carbs. If I feel that I need a refeed (usually after long runs and weight training combo) then I'll have a cheat meal, not day.

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll refeed every sunday, I'll add in roughly 300 grams of clean carbs, the vascularity is insane...

DieselNY

DieselNY

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What Keto diets are you following, Standard, Cyclic or Targeted?
I follow a ckd with IF.
my routine.

Usually this is what I do.

Sunday, 7am gym, no cardio - 1st meal 12 noon. 2nd meal and only other meal around 5/5:30pm.

Monday, Tuesday - cardio at 6am, gym at 8:15am. 1st meal 12 noon. 2nd meal and only other meal around 5/5:30pm.

Wed - cardio 6am, sometimes gym sometimes not, 24 hour fast. That means I ate Tuesday around 5/5:30 and my 1 and only meal Wednesdays is 5/5:30. (today I am on the 24hr and just did 45min cardio at 6am, no gym today).

Thursday, Friday - cardio at 6am, gym at 8:15am. 1st meal 12 noon. 2nd meal and only other meal around 5/5:30pm.

Saturday - no gym and usually no cardio, unless I get up early and can't sleep then I will hit the treadmill. my 1 and only meal is 5/5:30.

So 5 days of an 18.5hr fast and 2 days of a 24 hour. On the 24 hour 1 meal days I sometimes get all my macros in one meal and sometimes I will come in short so that will be my lower calorie day.

During my fast I eat NOTHING I consume ZERO cals...no BPC bull**** high calorie coffee which breaks your fast. I drink water and black coffee and boulion cubes broth.

For my 1 meal on the 24 hr I usually break my fast with a HUGE ass bacon and egg omelete and then some protein "sludge" to get my required protein grams in. Only protein matters the other macros are not relevant. And eat SLOWWWWWW or you will blow up and not feel right so I tend to eat a little then get up walk around, do some work on my phone, **** around on Facebook, eat some more.

I have ZERO issues training ANY bodypart on my 24 hr fast since I train at 8am thats 15hrs into the 24hr fast and a breeze for me. Now if you train late in the day then no that wont work for me. I sometimes train at thee 21hr mark in the afternoon (every other Friday) then begin my carb up at the 24 hr mark. (I do a Cyclical Ketogenic Diet) It is NOT fun training on a 21hr fast. 15 hour is nothing as I been doing it since college before I learned IF. 21 is tough but its a high rep "depletion pump workout" so it is pretty easy. Don't do LEGS that day lol.

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll sip on some bone broth and really good coffee during my 24 hour fasts as well, no bullet proof coffee tho.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That's about as meaningful of scenario as

You have to
a) Eat Hillary Clinton's p____
b) Let Trump bang you in the ---
You just perfectly summed up how I feel when I watch the news now