tobaccos effect on hormones

Jameson12

Awards
I'm a smoker and was wondering what kind of effects tobacco could have on my hormones.Anyone know how tobacco effects hormones.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Effect of cigarette smoking on levels of bioavailable testosterone in healthy men. - PubMed - NCBI

Effect of cigarette smoking on levels of bioavailable testosterone in healthy men.

English KM1, Pugh PJ, Parry H, Scutt NE, Channer KS, Jones TH.
Author information

Abstract
The effect of smoking on androgen levels is important given the recent interest in the link between low levels of androgens and the development of cardiovascular disease. Numerous studies examining the effects of cigarette smoking on the levels of total and free testosterone have reported conflicting findings, but there has been no accurate assessment of the effects of cigarette smoking on the levels of bioavailable testosterone [not bound to sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG)]. We attempted to determine whether smoking affects the level of bioavailable testosterone. We undertook a case-control study of 25 healthy male smokers and 25 healthy never-smokers, matched by age and body mass index. Early morning levels of total, free and bioavailable testosterone, 17beta-oestradiol, SHBG and cotinine were determined and compared between the two groups. Levels of total (18.5+/-4.6 nM versus 15.1+/-4.9 nM, P=0.01) and free testosterone (462+/-91 pM versus 402+/-93 pM, P=0.03) were found to be higher in smokers compared with non-smokers respectively, as was SHBG (34.1+/-12.8 versus 28.1+/-9.0 nM, P=0.06). There were no significant differences in the levels of bioavailable testosterone (3.78+/-1.59 versus 3.51+/-1.26 nM, P=0.49) or 17beta-oestradiol (44.5+/-11.4 versus 42.3+/-11.5 pM, P=0.50) between smokers and non-smokers respectively. These data suggest that cigarette smoking has no significant effect on the biologically active fraction of testosterone, but may influence the levels of total and free testosterone through changes in the levels of SHBG.

CallItKarma

CallItKarma

Awards
If I were you I would look into the relationship between smoking and cortisol.

Fat2Strong

Awards
If I were you I would look into the relationship between smoking and cortisol.
This is interesting because I like the occasional cigar here and there. I noticed when I got into cigars I did end up having a much more stubborn belly fat.