Debate: Gluten

NotDatGuy9000

Awards
Is gluten as a big issue as the media is claiming, even though gluten sensitivities only impact a small portion of the population? Is gluten becoming a nutritional boogyman? Do you think gluten free is the way to go? Is gluten becoming a health fad that is racking in extra cash for food producers?

Discuss!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I think the world just has a few too many babies in it whining and wanting to point their finger at something for their excess weight or poor health, lol.

That said, a gluten free diet is helpful to some simply because it often cuts back carb intake, leading to more satiating food consumption. Sometimes.

If it is not a medical necessity, (or for prep) I think elimination diets are silly.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Next time you here someone talking about being gluten free or asking if something has gluten in it. Just ask them "what is gluten" the majority of the time (at least when I've done it) they have no idea, and they have no real idea why it's to be avoided

NotDatGuy9000

Awards
I feel the same as everyone else does.

A round about example is my allergy to penicillin. I don't preach about how bad it is, or how it causes me Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. Most people can take it with out issue, no reason to hate on it because I have an individual issue.

If you're feeling brave look up SJS.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Many people "diagnose" themselves based off of bad information they typically find on Facebook posted by somebody that barely got through high school science classes. Gluten free has become a marketing fad and it's insulting to people with actual celiac disease when people claim to have gluten sensitivity because some pasta made them feel bloated.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I feel the same as everyone else does.

A round about example is my allergy to penicillin. I don't preach about how bad it is, or how it causes me Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. Most people can take it with out issue, no reason to hate on it because I have an individual issue.

If you're feeling brave look up SJS.
Wow. SJS is extremely serious. Did you find out about it through an allergy test or did you have to go through that after using penicillin?

NotDatGuy9000

Awards
I feel it is also insulting to those with celiac disease.

Long Story, but I'll keep it short. I got sick earlier in the year and my family doctor at the time put me and my brother on penicillin. My brother was fine but shortly after I broke out in a rash that lead to the necrosis of my skin. We went through mutiple doctors. My mom ultimately helped finding out what it was. She's a nurse and brought it forward to a younger, progressive doctor.

That was on top of my sleep apnea due to a parasitic strep infection in my tonsils. I'm luck I am as tall as I am to be entirely honest.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Many people "diagnose" themselves based off of bad information they typically find on Facebook posted by somebody that barely got through high school science classes. Gluten free has become a marketing fad and it's insulting to people with actual celiac disease when people claim to have gluten sensitivity because some pasta made them feel bloated.
Case in point- Anabolicminds forums. Or almost any forum for that matter.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I feel it is also insulting to those with celiac disease.

Long Story, but I'll keep it short. I got sick earlier in the year and my family doctor at the time put me and my brother on penicillin. My brother was fine but shortly after I broke out in a rash that lead to the necrosis of my skin. We went through mutiple doctors. My mom ultimately helped finding out what it was. She's a nurse and brought it forward to a younger, progressive doctor.

That was on top of my sleep apnea due to a parasitic strep infection in my tonsils. I'm luck I am as tall as I am to be entirely honest.
Just like it's extremely insulting to see 20 somethings on TRT to older guys that actually need it. The more it is prescribed to young kids that don't need it the harder it's gonna be for older adults that actually need to get it prescribed. There is enough red tape already, these idiots need to stop.

NotDatGuy9000

Awards
I agree, and its simply because there is no baseline for what low T actually is. As far as I remember young guys can just walk in a youth doctor's office and say they have low T. Most young guys can simply workout a bit to get T levels back up, if I am not mistaken.