Is drinking water really that important?

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
The amount of water I actually drink in a day is extremely small. I would say as low as 36oz on non-workout days.

The rest is coffee, V8 juice, green tea, a soda, and milk.

If I am urinating large volumes regularly, and not dark colored, how dehydrated could I really be, and why would my body need pure water?

vidapreta

vidapreta

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm pretty much the same way, I drink a lot of different things but not too much actual water. But I've always been told that no beverage is better for your body than pure water.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The amount of water I actually drink in a day is extremely small. I would say as low as 36oz on non-workout days.

The rest is coffee, V8 juice, green tea, a soda, and milk.

If I am urinating large volumes regularly, and not dark colored, how dehydrated could I really be, and why would my body need pure water?
My opinion is that it's over emphasized. Drink when your thirsty. It was a debunked myth that by that by the time your thirsty you are already de-hydrated.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Seriously though if I was drinking as much water as some of the guys say they drink on here I'd never be able to leave my house. I'd piss myself!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Seriously though if I was drinking as much water as some of the guys say they drink on here I'd never be able to leave my house. I'd piss myself!
Same. If I'm working from home, it's fine. But if I'm traveling or have meetings all day, I can't be running to the bathroom every 10 minutes.

Like a lot of things, I don't think there is one set amount for everybody.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
My opinion is that it's over emphasized. Drink when your thirsty. It was a debunked myth that by that by the time your thirsty you are already de-hydrated.
On point!

Plus..every drink has some form of water as a base.

It's freaking everywhere and I personally feel that is under emphasized.

Yes, the 8oz of water you use to make your tea does count. Same with the water in v8.

Shasow

Shasow

Banned
Awards
I love my water I must be honest :) other than that I drink milk and tea. I drink anywhere from 1-2 litres of water per day which is what my body seems to want naturally.

A good indicator is urine colour. As long as its predominantly clear your g2g regardless of how much you are drinking.

Its very important though.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
I only drink water before bed / night time / during workouts. Ends up being a 2.5L of water, then the rest is soda during the daytime. It might be because my gym has those super fast refill stations so I fill one up at the end of every exercise and drink 500mL like it's nothing multiple times.

Then again, I do have to go to the bathroom every hour / hour and a half

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I only drink water before bed / night time / during workouts. Ends up being a 2.5L of water, then the rest is soda during the daytime. It might be because my gym has those super fast refill stations so I fill one up at the end of every exercise and drink 500mL like it's nothing multiple times.

Then again, I do have to go to the bathroom every hour / hour and a half
What is a "super fast refill station"?. My gym just has a water fountain. My last crappy gym didn't even have a water fountain. That was the crappiest gym I ever went to though, but it was cheap. I will never go that cheap again.

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
What is a "super fast refill station"?. My gym just has a water fountain. My last crappy gym didn't even have a water fountain. That was the crappiest gym I ever went to though, but it was cheap. I will never go that cheap again.
They have fountains with water bottle refill spouts. They are actually pretty cool.
Elkay LZS8WSVRLK.png

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
yeah those, they fill up a bottle in 2-3seconds with ice cold water. By the time i'm walking away I already drank half the bottle

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My gym has one of those but the water is never very cold unfortunately. I basically drink water throughout the day, occasionally have a pop with lunch. Milk at dinner, exciting stuff!

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You guys must go to commercial gyms. I've never seen anything like that before but I stay away from the commercial corporate chain type gyms.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I go to the Y, they took over a golds gym that closed down and turned it into a new branch. It's pretty awesome actually and only 60 bucks a month for my wife kid and I

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
You guys must go to commercial gyms. I've never seen anything like that before but I stay away from the commercial corporate chain type gyms.
university gym for me. But it was also at a local Y. My university has one of those water filling stations every 50feets, really awesome for free filtered cold water

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
Mainly yes. They are in commercial gyms however I believe it is a wise investment anyway. So freaking convenient.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
They're all over the place now. They had several at the university that I used to work at and in my last apartment complex.

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
I'm jealous. The water fountain at my gyms hasn't been working for like 2 weeks.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only thing I find with drinking less water, is cramping. I'm by no means HUGE now but I'm the biggest I've ever been and seems like I need more to cramp less? I usually drink 32oz in yhe morning. 64oz during my workout and maybe 1 6oz later at night but non-working days, I hardly drink any.

I'll say this too, when you're drinking more water regularly you don't urinate as frequent after the first few days. It subsides