Topic of the Week: Is Cardio necessary when dieting?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is it necessary or is it just calories in vs calories out?

avega17

Awards
  • Established
It is not, but you may reach a point when reducing calories is no longer practical or may be extreme, in which case adding in cardio and maintaining or adding back a bit of calories will be better.

Moreover, there are much more benefits of cardio than just caloric expenditure, such as increased metabolic rate, improved nutrient partitioning, and increased work capacity.

It is smart to start off conservatively, with minimal amounts weekly. As fat loss begins to plateau, additional sessions should be added and so forth. Variety is key as well, not allowing the body to become adapter to any one protocol.

I know from personal experience, I have much better results during a cut when I do have some form cardio in my routine.

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've gotten down to 7-8% just from weight training and high protein/low carb diet. Granted that was early 30's. Now at 36 it doesn't seem to work quite as quickly. If cutting is the main goal rather than preserving muscle then I think cardio is a must for speeding up the process.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Don't think it is necessary but it does definitely help. I like to eat a lot of food and would offset it with cardio just to get more meals in me

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Don't think it is necessary but it does definitely help. I like to eat a lot of food and would offset it with cardio just to get more meals in me
im the same, Id rather eat more and do cardio than forgo cardio and eat less

I agree cardio is not necessary, but Ive kind of moved on from the Aragon philosophy of saving cardio as a 'trump card' when dieting, to a do-cardio-regularly-regardless approach because of the wider health benefits (and, again, the capacity to eat more)

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is it necessary as far as losing weight or overall health?

To lose weight, no it's not necessary but for overall health it is definitely recommended!

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i assume you mean dieting to shed fat.

if so, then no. it is not necessary.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If we're talking weight loss, I would say no to a certain extent. But personally, I would rather do more cardio and allow myself to consume more calories rather then not do cardio and starve.

For health, cardiovascular health, and overall wellness, yes I would recommend it.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
well I like to eat. if I do cardio when doing cutting it means i can eat more. This makes me happy to follow my diet plan better and less chance to stuff up and 'cheat' so my answer is yes.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
No, cardio isn't necessary when dieting to lose fat (it can help though). It's possible to attain "stage ready" conditioning through diet and weight training alone.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Cardio is a great tool to add in when plateaus are hit, but it isn't necessary for fat/weight loss. I think everyone can benefit from some form of cardio throughout the week, whether it be walking the dog or playing a recreational sport, but in terms of weight loss it isn't necessary.

I am 8-10% BF and a rarely do cardio. If your diet and weight training is consistent, you don't need cardio. It can help speed up weight loss, but it isn't going to make or break your progress.

vujade

vujade

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
it probably isnt necessary for weight loss, but it sure does help alot. Especially as you get older (im 46)
and your metabolism isnt quite as fast as it used to be. Plus it lets you eat more while cutting.

When I was in my 20's, I could drop 20lbs in a month, just by adjusting my diet and taking Ephredrine.
Now Im lucky to get 8lbs in a month with cardio 4-5 times a week and a calorie deficit.

cbsharpe

Awards
  • Established
IMO...no, it's not needed but it is beneficial in other ways.

I do my cardio after my weight training sessions and it varies from treadmill to doing kettle bell swings with little rest in between. Every now and then, I'd do some fasted cardio in the mornings. That really helped shed the fat. But again, everyone is different.

Johnston

Johnston

Awards
It depends on the TYPE of cardio. HIIT sure, that can definitely benefit if done correctly. Banging it out steady state on a treadmill for 45 mins, no.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Why anyone want to be walking on a treddy 45 min is crazy to me. How insanely BORING.

Cardio can be any activity, just be outside and do something fun.. play frisbee, skate, .. or a game of volley :)
Actually now that i think of it even sexy time is cardio lol

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Not necessary but can be beneficial, especially in the long term. That said, my preferred form of cardio is to do high intensity circuit training. For example, set up a bench/dead/squat/OHP/pullup circuit and run each for 15+ reps, not taken to failure. Keep short rest periods (<=45s) and repeat 10-12 times.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
Another great for of cardio is to do sports or something outdoors: play some ball, go golfing, hiking, swimming, surfing... Whatever you ENJOY and helps you get moving.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Necessary for...?

For weight loss, no. For overall health; technically not a have to be yes, but yes.

We tend to view it as just a means to lose weight, but the benefits of endurance, heart health, etc. are all there.

I can lose fat without dedicated cardio, but my overall athleticism suffers when I step foot back onto a court or field again.

But in the realm of black and white, weight loss can most certainly occur without cardio.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Not necessary at all. I used to think it was but last summer I made it to my leanest ever (~7%) and had a torn hamstring that barely allowed me to walk. Light biking was about all I could do for two months.

KilaCali

KilaCali

Banned
Awards
Is it necessary or is it just calories in vs calories out?
i think it all depends on the person, metabolism/thyroid function etc...

some people can diet just on nutrition alone and get where they need to be, others may need that cardio to speed up their bodies natural functions...

digitalpimp

digitalpimp

Awards
  • Established
I quit doing cardio during my diets/recomps about 5 years ago. At 42 years old I'm the leanest I've ever been now.
That being said I've read that even pro bodybuilders do cardio the last few weeks before a competition.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Cardio can beneficial for health reasons. I prefer to use cardio as a reason to eat more, :D

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
At the end of the day it's calories in vs. calories out, but like many others in this thread, I would rather do cardio so that I can enjoy more calories in.