Smokeless tobacco and muscle protein synthesis/hypertrophy

Rawsteel

Awards
Hi! As the title says, does anyone here know if smokeless tobacco, like snus (snuff) inhibits muscle protein synthesis?
I know that there has been some studies made about cigarettes and that those showed that smoking inhibits muscle protein synthesis by alot, but they never found out WHAT in the cigarettes that caused this.
I've been searching for studies about smokeless tobacco and it's effects on muscle growth but i haven't managed to find any, so do any of you guys know of any?
Here's the one about smoking.

Smoking causes multiple organ dysfunction. The effect of smoking on skeletal muscle protein metabolism is unknown. We hypothesized that the skeletal muscle protein synthesis rate is depressed in smokers compared with non-smokers.
We studied eight smokers (≥20 cigarettes/day for ≥20 years) and eight non-smokers matched for sex (4 men and 4 women per group), age (65±3 and 63±3y, respectively; means±SEM) and body mass index (25.9±0.9 and 25.1±1.2 kg/m2, respectively).
Each subject underwent an intravenous infusion of stable isotope-labeled leucine in conjunction with blood and muscle tissue sampling to measure the mixed muscle protein fractional synthesis rate (FSR) and whole-body leucine rate of appearance (Ra) in plasma (an index of whole-body proteolysis), the expression of genes involved in the regulation of muscle mass (myostatin, a muscle growth inhibitor; MAFBx and MuRF-1, which encode E3 ubiquitin ligases in the proteasome proteolytic pathway) and that for the inflammatory cytokine tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF{alpha}) in muscle, and the concentration of inflammatory markers in plasma which are associated with muscle wasting in other conditions.

There were no differences between non-smokers and smokers in leucine Ra and plasma concentrations of inflammatory markers, or TNF{alpha} mRNA in muscle, but muscle protein FSR was much less (0.037±0.005 vs. 0.059±0.005 %/h, respectively; P=0.004) and myostatin and MAFBx (but not MuRF-1) expression was much greater (by ~33% and 45%, respectivley; P<0.05) in the muscle of smokers than of non-smokers.

We conclude that smoking impairs the muscle protein synthesis process and increases the expression of genes associated with impaired muscle maintenance.

ajpendo.physiology.org/content/ajpendo/early/2007/07/03/ajpendo.00301.2007.full.pdf

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like they don't know what the mechanisim is via smoking so it would be damn near impossible to try and extrapolate to smokeless products.

I would avoid both. Not for the potential to lose gains, but because of general health reasons.

infinitepower

infinitepower

Awards
Nicotine is nicotine, tobacco is tobacco no matter how you put it. Just think about what it does to your gums, does the same to your stomach. Probably not good for nutrient absorption

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are cognitive and ergogenic benefits to occasional nicotine usage. The gun was invaluable to me while I was fighting and doing my weight cut.

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are cognitive and ergogenic benefits to occasional nicotine usage. The gun was invaluable to me while I was fighting and doing my weight cut.
Yes, the nicotine itself. Not the tobacco containing it. I know you are aware of this but just wanted to add this in to make sure no one thinks you are advocating smoking or chewing :)

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks like they don't know what the mechanisim is via smoking so it would be damn near impossible to try and extrapolate to smokeless products. I would avoid both. Not for the potential to lose gains, but because of general health reasons.
ampk rise from nicotine inhibits protein synth

Intermittent use lowers e2 and cortisol

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd think if someone had a gun pointed to your head, and said "Run bitch" you'd run. Yeah, that'd definitely be a motivator.

shine123

Awards
So you should quit smoking for you health.Here is an article about helping you to quit smoking Natural Cytisine is helpful for smoking cessation.

baxtecal

baxtecal

Awards
  • Established
Just quit doing it man, I smoked for 4 years starting at 16... I'm so glad I quit. Could've been a long road but I got on the ecig and tapered down my nicotine level and quit it all eventually.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, it inhibits blood flow to muscle tissue = not good.

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
Smoking is gross. Tried it once and it made me want to puke bad. Why do people do this stuff?

hairygrandpa; exactly

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
^^^These commercials are horrible. Definitely up there with the animal abuse ones.

R1187

R1187

Awards
  • Established
^^^These commercials are horrible. Definitely up there with the animal abuse ones.
Most are propaganda.

While it's true smoking isn't healthy, the majority of people who smoke never suffer any type of cancer or drop dead from it.