sugar alcohols and keto

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So i have gotten great results using a product that is very high in sugar alcohols. It is a collagen, glycerol beef amino product. It tastes amazing and my body joints and recovery are phenominal on it. Thing is i stopped taking it because the carbs are very high and i am doing keto. However as i mentioned the carbs are all attributed to sugar alcohols, sucralose to be specific, thats it.

My question is this... do sugar alcohols count the same as other carbs do on keto? I know that they are processed differently, just wondering if i can incorporate them without throwing off the diet...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, when you say "very high" what do you mean? For most people anyhow, more than 20ish grams of sugar alcohols tends to cause all sorts of stomach upset, diarrhea, etc. If its under 20g in a serving then I can't imagine it would have much effect anyhow.

Outside of that though, my understanding is that the sugar alcohols don't affect ketosis the same as "normal" carbohydrates.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
5Gram sugar esters ( i made a mistake), 6 grams protein, no fats, no sugar per table spoon. Lean beef aminos or LBAs for short.

I usually take 4 table spoons two to four times a day. Only had issues when i did empty stomach meal replacements like two or three times in a row. it appears that its mostly from vegtable glycerine. I assuming that the carb count is because glycerine is classified as a carbohydrate, but i guess my question still remains about its impact on keto.

elegua

Awards
I'm really interested in this topic in general, and one thing I've learned is that this is not a 100% clear-cut, answered question. Some keto researchers say avoid them like the plague, some are more lenient -- though they all warn about the gastric consequences of sugar alcohol intake plus the fact that it can tend to maintain our addictive patterns with sweet foods (which is of more significance to some people than others, depending on their life habits).

I did find this basic resource that seems to clarify the current science on blood sugar impact of sugar alcohols (and some definitely need to be avoided by people interested in a keto diet)...

About Sugar Alcohol

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It varies and depends on the alcohol itself. Some count as carbs, some dont.

However, if you are making progress while taking the product, I wouldn't sweat it and just keep taking it. Worry about it when the progress stops

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I know from experience that Stevia is safe while in ketosis.
But I've read mixed things about sucralose, sugar alcohols, etc.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You guys know anything about glycerine or glycerol effecting keto?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So i contacted the manufacturer of the product and they told me this about sugar esters from glycerine:

""the sugar ester is called a "non impact" carb... from everything ive read, they count as 1/3rd of a "normal" carb... so 5 carbs per bottle is probably equivalent to ~1.5 normal carbs""