Can you build muscle at a very low body fat

ebkallday

ebkallday

Awards
Assuming you have your diet in check and adequate fat intake along with fish oil supplementation so your hormones are in check ? By very low i mean like 9%< .

Also if so how much would you gains be impacted and decreased because if a beginner in their first year of training can build a maximum of 2 lbs a month while in a surplus and higher bf% than what could a beginner expect to build if he is eating at maintenance and has a low body fat? All of this is assuming he is drug free (AAS free atleast) and has an optimal diet at maintenance and an optimal muscle building training routine ,just low bf .

I'm guessing maybe it would cut his gains in half at least so maybe .5 lb - 1 lb a month max but idk im not sure if any studies have been done under these kind of conditions or if anyone has done it drug free and documented an anecdotal report of the growth .

TCardaci

TCardaci

Awards
In terms of studies, that is certainly something to look into. However, with proper nutrition and supplementation it is absolutely possible!!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It's all about the diet. If you eat for your goals and keep everything consistent i think you can.

Superman_777

Awards
The body is more prone to muscle building the lower the body fat, and vice versa with higher body fat

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
9% certainly isn't very low so at that percentage it is absolutely possible. When you hit 2-3% then your T levels are floored