Increasing vege intake not associated with weight loss

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmm.. I am kinda surprised honestly. Curious to take a look at the two studies they used. I'm not advocating "clean eating" but I would have expected weight loss to increase with increased vegetable intake. Mainly from increased fullness feeling so less total calories consumed throughout the day

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
hmm.. I am kinda surprised honestly. Curious to take a look at the two studies they used. I'm not advocating "clean eating" but I would have expected weight loss to increase with increased vegetable intake. Mainly from increased fullness feeling so less total calories consumed throughout the day
Thats what I figured as well. Increased fiber would seem to increase satiety but it doesnt seem to be the case.

I was just scrolling the AJCN and I stumbled across it. Stored it for future reading.

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I've personally trailed not having fruit and veg for 5months just to see if I noticed any effects in how I feel or how my weight loss is affected....

I noticed nothing at all, lost weight easily enough in a standard calorie deficit, same workout... Everything.

The only thing I do notice is that I feel ever so slightly more alert and my gym sessions are generally more consistent.

But nothing else. Now I always eat both and always will. To me, It's so important.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I think within a diet plan veggies help with satiety and are great, but in general when someone with a crap diet adds veggies nothing occurs unless they are tracking and consciously creating a deficit.

The increased satiety would be there but not really an issue when the existing diet is processed carbs, sugars, etc. with no satiety and if anything increases hunger.

I think the mentality to lose weight needs to be there

keithgeiling

keithgeiling

Awards
  • Established
Love it.. For someone who hates vegetables, this is music to my ears. For this reason I won't skimp on a multi, and I do choke down some broccoli now and then but overall veggies are a no go for me. But I do love me some fruit!!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I think within a diet plan veggies help with satiety and are great, but in general when someone with a crap diet adds veggies nothing occurs unless they are tracking and consciously creating a deficit.

The increased satiety would be there but not really an issue when the existing diet is processed carbs, sugars, etc. with no satiety and if anything increases hunger.

I think the mentality to lose weight needs to be there
There definitely will be a lot of other factors at play and ill be reading the text today to see what the diets looked like and whether intake was standardised and so on.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Which of you handsome devils wants to send me the full text? :)

heybeavis1

heybeavis1

Awards
I think the problem is mental.
Veggies help with satiety, feeling full and saying "Damn, I can´t take anymore food !".
BUT, I bet you can still fill some ice cream in there !! There´s where craving comes...I see like: satiety (physical feeling), cravings (psychological feeling).
You can feel full as you want, but if you crave something caloric-dense, you´ll make room for that. Maybe what´s the study is in for ??

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I think the problem is mental.
Veggies help with satiety, feeling full and saying "Damn, I can´t take anymore food !".
BUT, I bet you can still fill some ice cream in there !! There´s where craving comes...I see like: satiety (physical feeling), cravings (psychological feeling).
You can feel full as you want, but if you crave something caloric-dense, you´ll make room for that. Maybe what´s the study is in for ??
Potentially. But it is often touted that eating clean will somehow make you lose weight - this may place a nail in that coffin. The journal also has a high impact factor

heybeavis1

heybeavis1

Awards
Potentially. But it is often touted that eating clean will somehow make you lose weight - this may place a nail in that coffin. The journal also has a high impact factor
Oh.. that´s a touchy point..
Can you send me the full text too ?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Statement of key findings
Our results show that trials of increased vegetable or fruit consumption, in the absence of guidance to reduce consumption of other foods, tends to result in either a small reduction in body weight or reduced weight gain relative to controls. The effect on energy intake is less clear. We did not find evidence of a dose response relationship between the increase in vegetable and fruit consumption and body weight."

It seems what we are looking at is a minor effect at best from the data available.

So, eating fruits and vegetables is still a fail safe strategy.

... much like post workout protein consumption. ;)

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, probably what I initially thought. Did they not track kcals?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
So, probably what I initially thought. Did they not track kcals?
Likely not but I wouldnt have expected them too.

What they were trying to find was whether or not increasing vege intake would reduce BW by virtue of increased fiber/ satiety. It is commonly touted that if you bulk up meals with veges then you will lose weight due to the subsequent reduction in kcal intake.

I still feel as though this holds true so itl be interesting to read the FTs for the cited studies