Diet advice

danpace26

danpace26

Awards
Hi all! Ok so I have reviewed my diet to help me carve up for the summer.

Background on me
26 YO male - 76kg and 6ft around 11-10% bf typically an ectomorph or 'hard gainer'

I've worked out my bmr to be around 1900 kal and tdee to be around 2900/3100 kal

The last 10 months I haven't paid too much attention to my diet and my partner has been pregnant so we've had the odd takeaway or 'comfort' meals to please her. I haven't lost too much shape to be honest which I'm happy about but ideally I am looking to keep my weight the same (long term goals would be to bring weight to 90kg lean) but for the moment focusing to maintain weight around 77/75kg mark but to reduce bodyfat and carve up.

I am working to a 3000 kal diet based on the following

Meal 1: 40g oats / 200ml almond milk / 17g ON GSW (rocky road flavour) / 30g PB mixed together to make a chocolatey PB porridge

+ 1 protein shake with water

Meal 2: 50g brown rice / 100g lean steak mince(ground beef) / 3 egg whites and 50g broccoli

Meal 3 (post workout): 100g brown rice / 100g chicken breast / 1 whole egg / 1/2 avocado and handful of spinach leaves
+ 1 protein shake with water

Meal 4: 50g brown rice / 100g chicken breast / 1/2 avocado 1 egg white

Meal 5: either salmon fillet or rib eye steak or turkey steak / 150g sweet potato / 10 asparagus shoots

snacks handful of cashews and two rice cakes with around 30g PB on the rice cakes

Pre bed: 2 scoops of casein (54g protein)

Supplements: other than whey and casein - green tea, krill oil, DAA, ZMA, vitamin d3, arginine, BCAA's, vitamin b complex and vitamin c

I wanted to see what people thought of this and if what I have come up with is in fact any good. Typically this is 40% protein 30% carbs 30%fat Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. Thank you

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you want to lose a little fat, just make sure you're at deficit. Find your TDEE and then eat less than that. As far as your meal plan goes, if you can eat that everyday, that's great. Personally, I need more variety! Also, are you having casein pre bed for a specific reason? You do not need it pre bed for fear of going catabolic overnight. Finally, personally, I would try to get my protein from more whole foods. 3.5 servings of protein powder is a little much I think.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you want to lose a little fat, just make sure you're at deficit. Find your TDEE and then eat less than that. As far as your meal plan goes, if you can eat that everyday, that's great. Personally, I need more variety! Also, are you having casein pre bed for a specific reason? You do not need it pre bed for fear of going catabolic overnight. Finally, personally, I would try to get my protein from more whole foods. 3.5 servings of protein powder is a little much I think.
This.. Always ALWAYS strive for more whole food if possible, far more micronutrients and much more filling
Here is some great advice and articles to read as well
I would ditch the casein (its not needed) you can easily eat cottage cheese, yogurt, or use milk with a shake (of whey) to meet casein needs, but again if you are meeting protein intake its not needed whey is just as effeective.

If Cutting Read the following:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-2.html

I highly suggest you read here regarding your diet:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-1.html
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html

danpace26

danpace26

Awards
My TDEE is between 2900/3100 (bmr x 1.55 and 1.725) so that's why I set a 3000 kal diet to maintain weight.

I have quite an addictive personality so once I get a routine like my meal plan I find it easy to stick too but I understand it does lack variety.

The casein was purely for that reason, catabolism, I find that going to bed around 9/10pm I would wake up in the night starving. I wouldn't have my first meal until around 6.30

danpace26

danpace26

Awards
This.. Always ALWAYS strive for more whole food if possible, far more micronutrients and much more filling Here is some great advice and articles to read as well I would ditch the casein (its not needed) you can easily eat cottage cheese, yogurt, or use milk with a shake (of whey) to meet casein needs, but again if you are meeting protein intake its not needed whey is just as effeective. If Cutting Read the following: I highly suggest you read here regarding your diet: ]
Thanks for those links I'll check them out,

The casein was to stave of catabolism over night, I go to bed around 9/10pm most evenings and my first meal is at 6.30am - I've tried cottage cheese i cannot stomach but I find dairy products quite bloating.. I switched from milk to almond milk to avoid the lactose.

I'll definitely be re visiting my diet and incorporate more whole foods rather than 'artificial protein'