FOOD FOR THOUGHT

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been cooking with whey and other proteins for quite some time now (started with pancakes, and evolved into other baked goods). Now I know there is some speculation on whether thermally denaturing the protein renders it "useless" and "undigestible", but I do not believe that because regardless of the process you are still left with the same sequence of amino acids just in a different 3 dimensional shape. My question is dose the high heat associated with cooking destroy the more delicate micro-fractions and other peptides that offer health benefits that whey and other proteins contain. By no means am I saying "DO NOT COOK WITH WHEY" I still do because my homemade baked goods are macro friendly and help smash other cravings but is there any truth to my speculation? Any thoughts are welcome!!!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
In for the answer here

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Based on what one of my professors taught us in one of our nutrition classes, protein gets "denatured" during cooking, no matter the source, beef, pork, chicken, or whey. The only negative effect in cooking is if your food has enzymes or "good bacteria" such as yogurt. Otherwise macros and micros are still viable in your system when ingested. Over cooking is a concern due to creatinine conversion which is carcinogenic, but that's generaly only in meat.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whether or not the macro nutrients are compromised is not the question. We know that denaturing occurs in the the stomach via HCL in order to "unwind" these proteins so that when they reach the small intestine they can be broken down and absorb and sent to the liver in smaller peptide chains or individual aminos. Also recently the difference between cheaply processed whey (ion exchange, spray dried, ect) is that these processes do strip these beneficial micro-fractions, beta-lactoglobulin, alpha-lactalbumin, glycomacropeptides, bovine serum albumen, immunoglobulins, along with other possible unidentified bioactive peptides. Our question is basically does baking destroy these delicate factors?

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been cooking with whey and other proteins for quite some time now (started with pancakes, and evolved into other baked goods). Now I know there is some speculation on whether thermally denaturing the protein renders it "useless" and "undigestible", but I do not believe that because regardless of the process you are still left with the same sequence of amino acids just in a different 3 dimensional shape. My question is dose the high heat associated with cooking destroy the more delicate micro-fractions and other peptides that offer health benefits that whey and other proteins contain. By no means am I saying "DO NOT COOK WITH WHEY" I still do because my homemade baked goods are macro friendly and help smash other cravings but is there any truth to my speculation? Any thoughts are welcome!!!
Whey can survive it. Seems like over thinking to me.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Whey can survive it. Seems like over thinking to me.
We know the protein denaturing is fine.

Our question is the additives in more expensive powders, such as peptides. A formula such as new Select protein as an example

pyrobatt

pyrobatt

Awards
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • Established
We know the protein denaturing is fine.

Our question is the additives in more expensive powders, such as peptides. A formula such as new Select protein as an example
Depends. For example. Select has a bunch of leucine. I believe that would be fine under heat. I however don't believe creatine,arginine,or carnitine would.

I say if you're going to bake use something without added aminos/junk.

I don't believe the digestive enzymes would survive.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Micro fractions support a long list of biofunctional processes like immune support, tissue growth, antioxidants, even microbial defense, not to mention IGF 1 production. So higher end, properly processes whey will give you more than just protein... Again I'm not saying that heating the powder will change the calories or the "amount of protein" I am asking if these micro fractions will remain active

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Most everything will survive. Denaturing simply breaks the 3d structure, not the amino acid sequence. Moreover, denaturing is reversible (e.g. when the heat stimulus is removed, the protein folds back to its natural configuration)

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Cooper delivers.

Back to baking