Debate over Post-Workout Carbs

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. The conversation is on the meal timing is it not? I am happy to discuss the evidence surrounding meal timing. Your problem is you want to present other peoples opinion as evidence.

The I dont care and have 0 desire was in reference to paying to read someone interpret research for me. It was not suggesting that I do not care to discuss the importance or lack of on meal timing
    PESCIENCE.COM

"The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates

2. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Absolute LBM has already been measured in studies. So has muscle protein synthesis. In other words, that increase in anabolic hormones can be 5% or 2000%, but it evidently is not enough to stimulate further muscle growth.

Do carbs postworkout potentially blunt lipolysis? Yes.
    But do carbs post blunt hypertrophy? If not, why not go for a beneficial hormonal response even if it is a small one? As you know positive hormone balance isn't only good for LBM so even a small increase would be beneficial, no? Are carbs detrimental post workout? Besides "potentially "blunting lipolysis?
    Founder & Owner
    Aspire. Train. Perform. Nutrition
    "More than a supplement company."
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    But do carbs post blunt hypertrophy? If not, why not go for a beneficial hormonal response even if it is a small one? As you know positive hormone balance isn't only good for LBM so even a small increase would be beneficial, no? Are carbs detrimental post workout? Besides "potentially "blunting lipolysis?
    Carbs don't blunt hypertrophy. Again, long-term studies show that carbohydrates do not further enhance LBM if ingested with protein postworkout. And since carbs positively influence "anabolic" hormones, what does this tell us? That the transient hormonal response has no effect on hypertrophy.

So to summarize: carbohydrates have no benefit postworkout. The detriment is likely negligible too, but since it is unproven territory, it's at least more likely that carbs are detrimental vs beneficial postworkout
  4. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Effect of carbohydrate intake on net muscle protein synthesis during recovery from resistance exercise

*Authors

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to determine the effect of ingestion of 100 g of carbohydrates on net muscle protein balance (protein synthesis minus protein breakdown) after resistance exercise. Two groups of eight subjects performed a resistance exercise bout (10 sets of 8 repetitions of leg presses at 80% of 1-repetition maximum) before they rested in bed for 4 h. One group (CHO) received a drink consisting of 100 g of carbohydrates 1 h postexercise. The other group (Pla) received a noncaloric placebo drink. Leg amino acid metabolism was determined by infusion of*2H5- or*13C6-labeled phenylalanine, sampling from femoral artery and vein, and muscle biopsies from vastus lateralis. Drink intake did not affect arterial insulin concentration in Pla, whereas insulin increased several times after the drink in CHO (P*< 0.05 vs. Pla). Arterial phenylalanine concentration fell slightly after the drink in CHO. Net muscle protein balance between synthesis and breakdown did not change in Pla, whereas it improved in CHO from -17 ± 3 nmol·ml-1·100 ml leg-1*before drink to an average of -4 ± 4 and 0 ± 3 nmol·ml-1·100 ml leg-1during the second and third hour after the drink, respectively (P*< 0.05 vs. Pla during last hour). The improved net balance in CHO was due primarily to a progressive decrease in muscle protein breakdown. We conclude that ingestion of carbohydrates improved net leg protein balance after resistance exercise. However, the effect was minor and delayed compared with the previously reported effect of ingestion of amino acids.
    I can't bold the quote from my phone so...

" We conclude that ingestion of carbohydrates improved net leg protein balance after resistance exercise. However, the effect was minor and delayed compared with the previously reported effect of ingestion of amino acids."

"CHO alone improved net leg protein balance after resistance exercise". Obviously the effects are less than that of the ingestion of amino acids but it does show some benefit.
    Founder & Owner
  5. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by mr.cooper69 View Post
    Carbs don't blunt hypertrophy. Again, long-term studies show that carbohydrates do not further enhance LBM if ingested with protein postworkout. And since carbs positively influence "anabolic" hormones, what does this tell us? That the transient hormonal response has no effect on hypertrophy.

So to summarize: carbohydrates have no benefit postworkout. The detriment is likely negligible too, but since it is unproven territory, it's at least more likely that carbs are detrimental vs beneficial postworkout
    And to reiterate what I said in my last post. I'm not now nor have I ever said that the beneficial hormonal response to carbs would be beneficial for hypertrophy. I said if there is any positive benefit even if only 5% why not? I don't try to have optimal hormone levels for hypertrophy or to obtain lbm. I aim for higher levels because, why not try to have the best levels you can? Especially if as of to date there is no data furnishing proof of detrimental effects...

If you could get an extra 5% on a test would you forgo the opportunity or strive for the best possible score?
    Founder & Owner

6. Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    And to reiterate what I said in my last post. I'm not now nor have I ever said that the beneficial hormonal response to carbs would be beneficial for hypertrophy. I said if there is any positive benefit even if only 5% why not? I don't try to have optimal hormone levels for hypertrophy or to obtain lbm. I aim for higher levels because, why not try to have the best levels you can? Especially if as of to date there is no data furnishing proof of detrimental effects...

If you could get an extra 5% on a test would you forgo the opportunity or strive for the best possible score?
    That's not a relevant analogy. The goal on an exam is to get a good score. My goal for weight training is to build LBM. Since there is a 0% benefit for LBM, I would not pursue this, just as I would not spend time (analagous to money for a carb source) getting an extra 0% on an exam.

Carbohydrates postworkout have been shown to reduce cortisol, reduce GH, and increase the AUC of insulin release. I don't really consider these beneficial for any purpose, really.

7. Valdeezy, your study is 100g of CHO vs 100g of calorie free placebo.

Cyrus's stance is whether carbohydrates are needed when protein is ingested i.e. is there any benefit when comparing PRO + CHO to PRO alone.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com

8. I feel there is a couple points that are being missed with broad blanket statements. Optimal timing would be dependent on the context of what is optimal such as what are the athletes goals and what was the atheltes state of training (fasted, fes, intra workout nutrition?) I will elaborate more later after class
    PESCIENCE.COM

9. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    Valdeezy, your study is 100g of CHO vs 100g of calorie free placebo.

Cyrus's stance is whether carbohydrates are needed when protein is ingested i.e. is there any benefit when comparing PRO + CHO to PRO alone.
    Yeah, I know lol... I was just using that as a point of reference to show that even in the absence of a pro source there may be some merit to CHO post.

Thanks for looking out Ben
    Founder & Owner

10. Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard View Post
    Yeah, I know lol... I was just using that as a point of reference to show that even in the absence of a pro source there may be some merit to CHO post.Thanks for looking out Ben
    I just wanted to make sure. I thought your painkillers might have been taking their toll.
    PEScience Representative
    http://pescience.com/insider
    http://selectprotein.com
    •   

11. AnabolicMinds Site Rep

Quote Originally Posted by bdcc View Post
    I just wanted to make sure. I thought your painkillers might have been taking their toll.
    Oh they are... they definitely are lol. Thanks man
    Founder & Owner

12. At least for me carbs are crucial. I've done no carbs, lots of carbs, and medium carbs pre and post workout and lots of carbs always has suited me better for hypertrophy and energy levels due to the increase in t4 to t3 conversion from large amounts of carbohydrate consumption.

13. I like to take Purus Labs slinshot and slam lots of carbs post workout.

14. Just gonna add a couple readings for you guys

Do you need anything post workout?

If you train fasted in the AM you might want to take in some protein immiadetely following your workout in order to prevent protein breakdown and promote protein synthesis http://jap.physiology.org/content/106/6/2026.long

A small amount of protein (20g) taken pre workout changes this need for post workout protein intake (WRT to combating post workout catabolisim you dont really need it as much ) http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/292/1/E71.long. In this case probably can just wait til you're hungry and eat a normal meal

As for co-ingestion of carbs with protein postworkout. The evidence is sort of lacking to really make any concrete statements IMO. If your goal is hypertrophy,

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/293/3/E833 showed that adding carbs to protein postworkout did not stimulate protein synthesis anymore than protein would alone

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21131864 found the same to be true

so co-ingetion of carbs and protein post workout does not increase protein syntheis compared to protein alone

Now for athletes training multiple times a day or week (such as football players and such) it may be wise to take in some carbs post workout in order to refill muscle glycogen

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9694422

also see this thread for more studies on glycogen resynthesis http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...o-high-gi.html

I would say the need for any food post workout depends on the intake of protein prior to the workout and the need for carbs post workout depends on the goal of the individual. With the exception of performance athletes, taking in carbs post workout may not really benefit them anymore but I dont see it as really being inherently bad, just possibly unnecessary.
    PESCIENCE.COM

15. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17095924

Participants divided into 2 groups. 1 group consumed a PRO+CHO mix immediately before and after training while the other group consumed the same mix but delayed 5 hours. Group 1 had a greater increase in lean body mass and 1RM strength

This was a similar one to the above http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19478342 but found no significant differences between the groups
    PESCIENCE.COM

16. There's several studies comparing protein vs Protein + CHO ingestion on MPS, but I can't seem to find one where it was consumed in a pwo environment...

edit: Just saw Josh's post.. i retract the previous statement

Similar Forum Threads

1. Post-Workout Carb Debate
    By iBulk in forum Natural Bodybuilding
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 09:35 PM
  2. post workout carb recipes (healthy)
    By Mrs. D in forum Recipes
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-29-2007, 03:19 AM
  3. post workout carbs
    By insane lifter in forum Nutrition / Health