Banana for post workout?

TylersBig

Awards
This may be bro science, but for the past year or so i would have a banana or plantain after my workout with my protein shake.
It seems to work for me due to the carbs in the fruit, but is this fact or placebo?
Is there something else i should eat post workout with my shake that could be more beneficial?
Does anyone else eat bananas (or fruit) post workout?

Any responses are welcome and greatly appreciated.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Quick sugars from fruit are always a great way to help shuttle protein to the muscles after a hard workout. Bananas are great due to the high amount of potassium accompanied with it

Potassium plays a role in many body functions including transmission of nerve signals, muscle contractions, fluid balance, and various chemical reactions.

Read somewhere that 97 percent of adults don't get enough potassium, recommended potassium is 3.5 grams a day.. Yeah go ahead and try to get that lol, it's tough.

I love me a banana pre/post workout my man!

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
Not to play devils advocate, but I was told that they dont have as much potasium as most people think and that a sweet potato has more. Is that true? This too might be bro science, but since its up thought I would ask.

TylersBig

Awards
Great question, and honestly im stumped lol. While were on the topic, anyone have any opinions on plantains? i.e. a larger banana with more taste. i assume this = more potassium and more fructose.

crispycrown

crispycrown

Awards
Not to play devils advocate, but I was told that they dont have as much potasium as most people think and that a sweet potato has more. Is that true? This too might be bro science, but since its up thought I would ask.
But bananas taste better.. Lol

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Quick sugars from fruit are always a great way to help shuttle protein to the muscles after a hard workout. Bananas are great due to the high amount of potassium accompanied with it

Potassium plays a role in many body functions including transmission of nerve signals, muscle contractions, fluid balance, and various chemical reactions.

Read somewhere that 97 percent of adults don't get enough potassium, recommended potassium is 3.5 grams a day.. Yeah go ahead and try to get that lol, it's tough.

I love me a banana pre/post workout my man!
Fructose, the major constituent of most fruit (bananas are like 50:50 fructose:glucose) will not be shuttled to muscles directly. It has to go to the liver first.

But glycogen replenishment isn't needed immediately post workout anyway unless you workout multiple times per day lol