Does it matter how many times and when you eat per day?

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
I'm looking into the Lean Gains/IF diet and was wondering if it really matters when you eat per day, and how much as long as you hit your calories?

roblasane

roblasane

Awards
If your going to follow IF I would suggest scheduling your workout during your eating window . This way IMO you get the most from your post workout meal.

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
No. As long as you hit your cals,macros.
Agree. It has been asked many times different ways. All leads to the same end result. Macros.

D3platinum

D3platinum

Awards
Which makes sense because when you look at it, it all adds up to meeting caloric intake

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
So the insulin response from downing 120 or so carbs in one post workout meal won't affect me negatively?

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
So with regards to macronutrient intake, a calorie is just a calorie?

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I've followed so many protocols in terms of meal frequency and macro composition, the most recent being a 21 hour fat, and guess what I've learned...it all comes down to the kcals and the macros.

TexasGuy

Awards
If you can fit a full days macros in to one meal or small window, more power to you. And it's no wonder virtually any protocol works. I'm assuming you are talking about bulking. You are missing the protein synthesis best practice boat but this discussion has already been beaten to death around here though.

thewolf49

Awards
  • Established
So, could I eat a pound of 90/10 ground beef and day as part of my IF diet? I see it has 100% of your saturated fat and 100% of your cholesterol for the day...

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
So, could I eat a pound of 90/10 ground beef and day as part of my IF diet? I see it has 100% of your saturated fat and 100% of your cholesterol for the day...
It's only 800 calories or so and just under 100g protein, so why not?

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
If you can fit a full days macros in to one meal or small window, more power to you. And it's no wonder virtually any protocol works. I'm assuming you are talking about bulking. You are missing the protein synthesis best practice boat but this discussion has already been beaten to death around here though.
The fast was for religious reasons, but I also used it to try and drop a little fat. It isn't too hard to eat 2000 kcals in 3 hours - a little bloated, but not too bad. now during me feeding window I experimented a little with the types of foods with protein and kcals kept at a constant and the compition made no difference to my body. I completely take your point about protein synthesis and when I begin my lean bulk I'm reverting to 3-4 protein based meals a day.

toddmuelheim

toddmuelheim

Awards
  • Established
I just didn't know if that much saturated fat and cholesterol would affect me negatively.
You won't know until you try it. Dietary cholesterol is not the villain it once was, and the same goes for saturated fat. Get bloodwork done, try it out for a while and get it done again. That's a good way to learn more about yourself. I did the same with a ketogenic diet, which was extremely high in saturated fat and cholesterol, and my lipid panel was pristine.