Protein shakes to replaces meals ?

jonathan517

jonathan517

Awards
Hey guys, I need some advice and some opinions whether I should just drink protein shakes rather then eat actual for my meals ? What do you guys think ?

I can't really afford 4-5 meals a day but protein powder I can afford on a monthly basis. So should I replace my food source with a protein powder source ?

Oh yea And I do not get all my protein needed from the foods that's I can actually only afford about 2 meals a day breakfast and dinner. Breakfast like pancakes or maybe cereal and dinner lean chicken that's about it. Thanks guys for the help!

-Jonathan

Denzel4

Awards
Protein shake is a good source of vitamins and minerals. We can get all kind of important nutrition from protein shake. It is good for bulking and muscle building. It is good to drink protein shake after or before any workout.
Vernon Hills Fitness

jonathan517

jonathan517

Awards
Protein shake is a good source of vitamins and minerals. We can get all kind of important nutrition from protein shake. It is good for bulking and muscle building. It is good to drink protein shake after or before any workout.
Thank you Denzel for the reply, as you are correct about Protein Shakes but i am wondering if I can totally completely replace food for a protein shakes due to the fact I can not afford 4-5 meals a day.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Wow

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
And here we go again!

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Hey guys, I need some advice and some opinions whether I should just drink protein shakes rather then eat actual for my meals ? What do you guys think ?

I can't really afford 4-5 meals a day but protein powder I can afford on a monthly basis. So should I replace my food source with a protein powder source ?

Oh yea And I do not get all my protein needed from the foods that's I can actually only afford about 2 meals a day breakfast and dinner. Breakfast like pancakes or maybe cereal and dinner lean chicken that's about it. Thanks guys for the help!

-Jonathan
NO! A powdered food source will never replace whole foods, you have to pay to play......

jonathan517

jonathan517

Awards
NO! A powdered food source will never replace whole foods, you have to pay to play......
Thanks Hvac just as I seen Cross fitter Rich froning, and other body builders say they did this, just wanted some opinions thanks.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
The target by me had 12 eggs for $1.67.... For less than $2 a day you can have all the protein you need from a real food source.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
That would be less than 80 grams of protein a day.
Assuming another 30g protein from the 2 meals a day that he does eat and it should be sufficient, unless you are trying to bulk up.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Are you looking to be called the next "it" by me?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
No, you need more than just protein for sustainability. There are plenty of other cheaper options available to you that you will be much better off using.

jonathan517

jonathan517

Awards
No, you need more than just protein for sustainability. There are plenty of other cheaper options available to you that you will be much better off using.
Such as what jiigzz ? Cutting has been extremely hard being the food I have to buy has to be high on carbs so I feel filled through out my day being as my job is very hard labor so I need the energy

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Such as what jiigzz ? Cutting has been extremely hard being the food I have to buy has to be high on carbs so I feel filled through out my day being as my job is very hard labor so I need the energy
on your days off, cook stir fry and individually pack seperate meals in different containers so you have meals to bring to lunch. if you go to costco, you can get these huge bags of vegetables, 10lb bags of chicken breast, and yoshida sauce = profit? or soy sauce if youre not into teriyaki

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why would you want to drink your "meals"?. Is your jaw wired shut, or did you lose all your teeth and can't afford dentures?. Seriously, has the general public just become so lazy that even chewing food has become a chore?. Want more protein than eggs?. Eat some dang tuna!. Canned tuna is cheap and it has a ton of protein in it. Beggars can't be choosers. Oh yeah, and who told you you need 4 to 5 meals a day?. That is a bunch of BS. I bet you could afford much more than 2 meals a day if you can afford to purchase protein every month, which 5 pounds runs around $50 plus shipping. Use that $50 at Wal-mart and shop smart, I bet you can get a ton of protein rich foods for that much money. Don't purchase name brands or "organic", just purchase meat and look at the protein content per serving. That protein that you can afford every month, sounds like you described that as it is "in addition" to your normal food intake of 2 meals a day which is what you said you could only afford. So save that $50 a month plus shipping if you order online and add that to your regular food budget and you should be able to afford at the very least 2 more meals per day.

When supplement money is cutting into your food budget, you should cut out or cut down the supplements.
'

WormyJackal

WormyJackal

Awards
Supp one or two shakes a day and the rest with whole foods and you will be fine

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Dont supplement any meals with shakes, protein powder is to supplement additional protein into your diet not to act as a meal replacement.....

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dont supplement any meals with shakes, protein powder is to supplement additional protein into your diet not to act as a meal replacement.....
^^^this.

Furthermore, I disagree a bit with not buying organic meats/dairy/eggs. Non-organic meats and their bi-products (may) contain toxins that the body is unable to process and or break down. These toxins go straight to your fat cells and are stored there. I, personally, noticed quite a few positive changes since switching to organic/all natural meats.

Wocheezy

Wocheezy

Awards
I agree with that but if he is on a tight budget organic probably isn't an option

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree with that but if he is on a tight budget organic probably isn't an option
Exactly, if you can't afford it, but can afford a different brand...I don't agree that buying organic is going to make that much of difference. Ninety-five percent of so called "organic" products is just marketing. To each their own though, if you want to spend the extra money on it go ahead.

WormyJackal

WormyJackal

Awards
Exactly, if you can't afford it, but can afford a different brand...I don't agree that buying organic is going to make that much of difference. Ninety-five percent of so called "organic" products is just marketing. To each their own though, if you want to spend the extra money on it go ahead.
Correct^ and most of the people that swear by "organics" have never been on a farm. Believe me, I'm a 4th generation farmer and have visited some of these "organic" farms, it's repulsing most of the time. The only way to REALLY know where your food comes from is to grow your own

WormyJackal

WormyJackal

Awards
I love when I hear guys say, "I know where my food comes from, this is from whole foods, etc...." Haha ok champ.

liftandeat

liftandeat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you had to do this I would atleast get some protein powder with carbs and fats also. So like a weight gainer but as everybody is saying you NEED to eat.

exrugger

Awards

-Jonathan
1. Eggs
2. Protein powder- I personally drink about 3-4 per day (1 scoop per shake), 1 pre and 1 post workout, 1 in morning (sometimes, I have this if I'm still hungry after eating eggs) and one before bed

I also eat lots of almonds which helps bc of the fiber. I think if you supplement your diet heavily with protein its ok as long as you have plenty of fiber and only use it to complement a snack rather than replace a meal.

exrugger

Awards
1. Eggs
2. Protein powder- I personally drink about 3-4 per day (1 scoop per shake), 1 pre and 1 post workout, 1 in morning (sometimes, I have this if I'm still hungry after eating eggs) and one before bed

I also eat lots of almonds which helps bc of the fiber. I think if you supplement your diet heavily with protein its ok as long as you have plenty of fiber and only use it to complement a snack rather than replace a meal.
Should also mention I'm on a keto diet.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1. Eggs

Why so many protein shakes?

exrugger

Awards
I weigh 217 and consume 200-250g protein per day (cutting/recomp you can find my log in nutrtion info). Consuming that much meat gets tedious to b honest. Plus I like to make a protein shake on occasion with my snacks/meals (again, my shakes are 1 scoop, so its really like 2 shakes spread out over the day).

I got the idea of spreading it out from an article I read on here that showed it was more beneficial to consume 25g pre and 25g post than 50g post... figured id give it a shot to spread out the 4 scoops I was taking (2 scoops pre and 2 post) throughout the day. Definitely has helped with keeping my carbs and cals in line. I use Elite Whey (2g carbs per scoop) and EliteXT (blend of slow release proteins,7g carbs per scoop). I have 1 scoop xt in the morning w breakfast, 1 scoop of whey pre and post workout, 1 scoop xt at bed all are mixed with water. This gets me about an extra 100g of quick protein with 18g carbs (I do 30-40g daily) plus it helps me stay full throughout the day and night with the xt. The whey I take for obvious reasons.