JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Timing of food intake predicts weight loss effectiveness

Abstract

Background: There is emerging literature demonstrating a relationship between the timing of feeding and weight regulation in animals. However, whether the timing of food intake influences the success of a weight-loss diet in humans is unknown.

Objective: To evaluate the role of food timing in weight-loss effectiveness in a sample of 420 individuals who followed a 20-week weight-loss treatment.

Methods: Participants (49.5% female subjects; age (mean±s.d.): 42±11 years; BMI: 31.4±5.4 kg m−2) were grouped in early eaters and late eaters, according to the timing of the main meal (lunch in this Mediterranean population). 51% of the subjects were early eaters and 49% were late eaters (lunch time before and after 1500 hours, respectively), energy intake and expenditure, appetite hormones, CLOCK genotype, sleep duration and chronotype were studied.

Results: Late lunch eaters lost less weight and displayed a slower weight-loss rate during the 20 weeks of treatment than early eaters (P=0.002). Surprisingly, energy intake, dietary composition, estimated energy expenditure, appetite hormones and sleep duration was similar between both groups. Nevertheless, late eaters were more evening types, had less energetic breakfasts and skipped breakfast more frequently that early eaters (all; P<0.05). CLOCK rs4580704 single nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) associated with the timing of the main meal (P=0.015) with a higher frequency of minor allele (C) carriers among the late eaters (P=0.041). Neither sleep duration, nor CLOCK SNPs or morning/evening chronotype was independently associated with weight loss (all; P>0.05).

Conclusions: Eating late may influence the success of weight-loss therapy. Novel therapeutic strategies should incorporate not only the caloric intake and macronutrient distribution—as is classically done—but also the timing of food.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v37/n4/abs/ijo2012229a.html

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The IF people will be here shortly...

hardwork25

hardwork25

Awards
What does the "late eaters were more evening types" mean?

PuZo

Awards
  • Established
Seems more like a conicidence

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Love it JJ. FT? Love to see the methods on this one.

Zatek

Awards
Maybe it's because it's 3am, but I tried reading through the study several times and I see absolutely no data showing how they're arriving at that conclusion. I call bull****.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Maybe it's because it's 3am, but I tried reading through the study several times and I see absolutely no data showing how they're arriving at that conclusion. I call bull****.
I think its because its 3am. They came to that conclusion; the data above shows that.

Zatek

Awards
I think its because its 3am. They came to that conclusion; the data above shows that.
I see a claim about late lunchers losing less weight (no data).
Late eaters skip breakfast (so?).
Some other stuff was associated with meal timing.

Then there is a table with the initial characteristics of the groups. No results data.

There is no results data given. If there is then please quote it because I don't have access to see it.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Subbed.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I see a claim about late lunchers losing less weight (no data).
Late eaters skip breakfast (so?).
Some other stuff was associated with meal timing.

Then there is a table with the initial characteristics of the groups. No results data.

There is no results data given. If there is then please quote it because I don't have access to see it.
That isn't the "full text"; you are only reading a brief summary of the paper. If JJ comes back, he'll probably have the full text which would include results tables.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sorry, I usually check the board on my phone and cant post attachments from my phone. I will try and remember tonight and I will post it

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The attachment feature isnt working so I am unable to post the text to this

@Admin, maybe you can look into this?

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I guess you would also have to factor in when they worked out for meal timing as well as how spread out the meals were and if the 3 meals were consumed regardless, or if this was just a timing between breakfast and lunch.

Would love to hear more about this.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Punkrocker Anabolics 1
drejb Supplements 13
RiverRat75 IGF-1/GH 20
Tank88 Nutrition / Health 3
Whacked PES 6